Puma blew head gasket. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Puma has blown the head gasket or cracked the head. Air is leaking out the head towards the handle.

I removed the head and the gasket and head casting look rough. Rust on the head bolts. Can't see any cracks though. I've removed the old gasket and cleaned everything up with a wire wheel.

I've got some time invested into this system with my mount and wiring. I'd like to make it workable again.

Any ideas to make a new head gasket?

I'm 18 months out of warranty with the eBay seller. I've asked the seller if replacements are available.

Copper shim stock, with copper filled gasket sealer on both sides. Makes up for a lot of "undesirable" head problems. Never used it in air compressors, but fixed a couple motorcycle and lawn mower heads that way.

Agreed, the copper sealer is the way to go with whatever gasket/shim you end up with

I thought you had to own an 80 to blow a head gasket.:confused:

Agree with the others, it's not car motor. You should be able to fab a gasket that will seal.

Make a Puma head gasket DVD while you're at it :beer:

Here are some pics after I cleaned it up. Not sure why it blew, yes everything was tight before tear down.

I received as response from the eBay seller this morning to verify the style of compressor. Hoping they have a replacement gasket to send me.

I thought you had to own an 80 to blow a head gasket.:confused:

Agree with the others, it's not car motor. You should be able to fab a gasket that will seal.

Maybe he was running dino:zilla: air instead of synthetic?:rainbow:
So far, your the first, and only?, mechanical failure on these babies. I do know of one unit that came with a bad control switch, but that was replaced immediately for free by the vendor. John

Maybe it is possible the head bolts backed off the torque a little?

Ive never seen or heard of one either, but now that it is in the interwebs, let the paranoia begin! :popcorn:

Here are some pics after I cleaned it up. Not sure why it blew, yes everything was tight before tear down.

I received as response from the eBay seller this morning to verify the style of compressor. Hoping they have a replacement gasket to send me.

Shave a couple thousands off the head, paint it a purdy color, new head gasket, and run it like you stole it:hillbilly:

I'd be hesitant with the Loctite on Aluminum ... only 25% the strength vs steel... unless you use the accelerator. Also - be wary of getting it outside of where it belongs. I suspect it would do it's share of compromising reed valves. Assemble upside down? Also - note how much weaker it gets as it warms up ... so keep the head cool while operating. And, if that 'apparent' bead is taller than 0.25mm, you may want to shave some of it off otherwise the Loctite is in unspecified territory.

Last edited:
Ran the compressor for ten minutes this morning with no issues...more long term testing this weekend

How long did the Loctite cure before power on ?

+72 hours.

Weird though, the product that was forced out when torquing the head has never cured...still the same goo it was in the tube.

Same goes for what squeezed INTO the cylinder :eek: ... the stuff needs to be "thin" and away from air to cure (the chemical black magic of polymers). Hence the advice in their specs for using an accelerant when you are in borderline conditions.

No product was introduced into the cylinder. :idea:

I stuffed a sock into the cylinder prior to re-assembly to prevent any foreign matter from contaminating the system... :hillbilly:

awaiting the big final test tomorrow - let er rip!

Compressor ran for ~45 minutes today airing up tires....no issues. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom