PTO Winch Information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

90311-28003

Pete

Back after the PTO worm gear bearing replacement (X2) and oil seal. Thanks Pete, that was a good oil seal P/N. I can also add the tapered roller bearings P/N Koyo 30206JR 10306 - which i used or NSK 30206.
Any advice on how much preload on the tapered roller bearings accomplished by shim thickness adjustment on the warm gear cap ends? Slightly loose or snug/tight?
Cheers.

The FSM calls for the impossible number of 0 endplay. There's only 2 thicknesses of shims. I got mine pretty close but I was just lucky as given the available shims it might not be possible. So basically you just have to shoot for as close as you can without any pressure on the bearings.

Pete

Yeah half shim was too tight for the new bearings so I reinstalled the full shim pack and let it break in that way. Later after it does some work I will recheck the play. Thanks again Pete.

Might be a good idea to add a little sealant to the side cover bolt threads. I have a small leak there.

Pete

I did - I only use Permatex Forma a Gasket #2. Excellent stuff to use as gasket sealant for flanges, oil pans, bolt threads etc. It's high temp, oil and fuel resistant and its way better than silicone sealant. It never hardens and prevents rust and corrosion.

Not sure of which thread it's in but I remember someone saying a one piece transfer case PTO could be used on the split transfer case. Just needed to drill some holes to match the transfer case bolt pattern. I was looking at both today and notice the opening is wider on the one piece PTO. A adapter would be needed which would not work since the gear won't mesh further apart.

Has anyone been able to make this work?

What I was looking at is possible trading the gears, bearings and shifting fork from the one piece T case PTO into the split T case PTO single direction housing. Looking at it the only thing that appears that won't work is the spacer that keeps the gear in place on the shaft the shifter pivots off of is too wide. That is also assuming the output shaft is splined underneath spacer on it.

Has anyone done this conversion?

Last edited:
I have the pictures somewhere it was a French website I think I took them off of. It'll be late next week before I'm back in the office tho

Haven't done it yet tho

i always winch in first gear unless im rewinding .first gear is also best if you use the winch along with the tires to get yourself out .with the cap screw replacing the shear pin i have used my winch for over 35 years with not problems .i have used the winch for stuff that it shoudnt be used for and it never failed .i have a friend who split one in half during a hard winter pull we welded it back together and it lasted for several more years until the truck rolled down a 100 foot cliff .still have the winch though

I have thinter resting somewhere it was a French website I think I took them off of. It'll be late next week before I'm back in the office tho

This is for using a one piece PTO on the split T case right? Would interresting to see how they did. Looking at the cases side by side I won't try it.

Have you ever heard of anyone converting a single direction PTO to a two direction using a earlier PTO? I looking at the two as well as two direction split case PTO. Plus compared some parts numbers of the two different split case PTOs. Shafts and housing look to be the same.

I think it will involve a lathe to move the gears and build a spacer. Haven't gotten there yet. But to answer your first question. Yes the article used a really pto on a split case. When I get to the point of just worrying about the pto box I hope to figure this all out.

I think it will involve a lathe to move the gears and build a spacer. Haven't gotten there yet. But to answer your first question. Yes the article used a early PTO on a split case. When I get to the point of just worrying about the PTO box I hope to figure this all out.

I seeing very little to do to switch gears. The double gear that fits into the T case is the same width on the early and late case. On the early gear a spacer is used. Split case no spacer. The gear on the output shaft is floating so no spacer used in either style of two direction cases. On the single direct a spacer is used to keep it in one place. If the shaft is splined under that spacer the gear would just slide like the two direction type. The fork that is used to shift it should work as the distance between all the shafts seem to be the same. The small gear that rides on the shaft that the shift lever pivots on uses a spacer in both types. The one in the earlier/wider case would be too long and need to be trimmed down or try and order the correct one if still available. Years ago I ran my exhaust in my 68 above the skid plate too close to the PTO. A small spot on the case melted. Never had a issue but have picked up a few earlier PTOs to replace so figure why not switch the gears from the PTO with the melted housing into the single direction split case PTO if possible. Switching the gears from the split case would require one and maybe two spacer to fix the position of the gear on the output shaft. First thing I need to do is clean the PTO boxes up.

My thought is anyone having a PTO with in pre 8/80 and switches to split case most likely the split case PTO to be found in the US with be single direction. This might be a simple option to upgrade the case to a two direction. Who knows maybe the the split PTO housing is still available. Looked at the possibility of of using all the internal parts of a early PTO in a later housing. All the shafts are longer would should be easy to deal with. Hardest part is the output shaft which is splined. A block would be needed extend the rear bolt on bearing/seal retainer.

Looking at the different cases the gear that rides on the gear in the T case has a different offset from the upper and lower bolt holes. Which means if using a early PTO on the later T case using a couple of spacers instead of one would be required to have the teeth mesh correctly.

This does not look like it that easy to. Has anyone checked the availability of the just the empty later PTO case?

other than a faster unwind speed what is the gain ?

Not really a whole lot. Besides faster unwind it gives just as many gears to use a forward. Its correct for the 40 series. Only seen the single direction come the 60/70 series. Mainly since I have a early case with some damage I'm curious if it will work. I'm held up needing a press. While I have one it's still in the boxes with no room to set it up. I have another one but it's out of town. But as far as I can tell one piece from each case needs to be modified to do it. All the gears and bearings with interchange.

Probably really scarce in the US but Toyota produced a lot of two direction (forward/reverse) PTO's for split cases although not as common as the single direction PTO's. Japan sent all their secondhand JDM 60 and 70 series cruisers down here in the 1990's and most of them were all complete with never been used PTO winches hanging off the front. I use two direction PTO's on both of my cruisers.

PTOs.jpg

All appear to have the shifter on the front side which probably means they are all 10/82 (83 model year) or newer. Since they are so plentiful why not load a container full of them along with rear full floating axles from 40/60/70 series and ship them to the US. Need to fill some space shouldn't be hard to find many of the options Toyota decided not to import to the US.

Don't forget the throw in some 40 series 5 speeds!

P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom