PTO Gear Shift (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This picture is from the FJ55 PTO shaft. The FJ55 doesn't have the bearing under the rad but behind it. Looks like someone doctored the '55 shaft to fit a '40 series.

Here's a picture of my '55 PTO bearing mount. You can see the resemblance.

The pictures do look similar.

But my 1979 BJ40 has no "bracket" (or even "holes for a bracket to be mounted") under the radiator support (on the rear-face of my front crossmember). Yet it does have holes sitting there (on my LH chassis rail through my battery support) ready for that side bracket.

And I bought my winch second-hand (in 1981) and was told it was off an old (1970s) FJ40 (but I admit I could have been misinformed in this). However it did fit my BJ40 without any need to alter the driveshaft length.

Anyway - Back in the early 80s I made my own bracket to support my driveshaft bearing, which worked fine but looked rather "mickey-mouse". (As I recall, it used one threaded hole on the LH chassis rail along with the bolt that secures that radiator frame to its LH support-mount.)

It was only after seeing this picture (that I've posted here) that I realised how I could make a "factory-looking bracket" to do the job. So that particular bracket looks "purpose-built" for my 1979 BJ40 and for my winch.

:cheers:

ok this has been a long time since a post ,

Hey all I have a 1980 HJ45 with a a 5 speed gearbox out of a 60 series i think year ??? , a PTO box ( output from gear box ) but im not sure on compatibility when i bought the pto the guy said it wouldnt fit a 5 speed but on the box there is the cover plate so hopefully they mate together , My plans are to drive a hydraulic pump just in front of the radiator to power a hydraulic winch , tipping tray , a tipping trailer ( one day ) and a crane mounted behind cabin ( one day ) as well as a trailer'd hydraulic log splitter.

Will my 5 speed and PTO work together
thanks and i hope this generates some ideas for others too

It depends on exactly what PTO gearbox you have, mostly. If the bolt pattern on the plate on the Tcase matches your PTO gearbox is the same, then you are probably good. You also need to make sure you have a PTO gear inside your tease, as apparently not all split cases have them.

Post pictures of the PTO gearbox for further identification...

Dan

Toyota Stock 1970 PTO Winch

Sniper,
Thanks for the pix. I think I can put it together, now. &nbsp:Don't know what I'll do for a flap door, unless someone out there happens to have one. But it looks like something I can jury-rig.
Yes, I have the smae stock flap-door cover that is made by Toyota to put in forword/Neu./Rev. with the very short stock gear-lever. These stock Toyota PTO winchs are excellent = 12,000lb pull of most other elec. winchs. All mech. ' no battery to be worried about - place , strong gear/steel.
Some of the older ones, were place on Willy's 4x4 1942-1947
Jeeps that were mounted in the rear / shaft / gears all out the back - pull you back-out of the mub blog!!
Great winch that Toyota should still offer as an add-on as a EOM.
ArchangelMichael FJ401970 Stock/PTO FRONT winch(Toyota).

Does anyone have a pdf of the Toyota PTO winch manual? I am thinking about buying one locally for my 1974 FJ40.

Just brought the PTO winch home. Anyone out there with a manual?

Thanks, Ed

What kind of a manual? The rebuild info is all in the FSM.

Pete

Didn't know that. WILL THE 1974 FSM have it as well?

That I can't say but the 1980 chassis manual that I downloaded has the rebuild info for the winch in it.

Love austin BTW- I was raised there and I get back there every year to see friends and family.

Pete

Didn't know that. WILL THE 1974 FSM have it as well?

Publication 98127 is a 1974 FSM and it has a section on the winch.

In fact, I have quite a few 40-series Landcruiser Chassis & Body FSMs and can't find any that don't have a chapter covering the winch.

:beer:

Thanks for that info guys. Now the search is on for a 1974 FSM.

I can help you out with a 1971 FSM that covers the PTO winch. Send me a PM if interested.

These stock Toyota PTO winchs are excellent = 12,000lb pull

I think your decimal point is off by one digit. Go try a 12,000lb pull and report back.

I believe your both off. 12,000# might be optimistic. 1,200# is way to light. The stock shear pin would break long time before 12,000#. While I haven't ever replaced the stock pin with something heavier others have and to be honest have never hear of anthing else breaking. I have used my Ramsey winch with no shear pin to pull a full size chevy truck up a hill with no problem. While not 12,00# it is heavier than 1,200#.

The electric winch has a advantage of still working for a limited pull with a dead engine. I have seen electric winches struggle on a long pull waiting to recharge the battery. Even with dual batteries the winch motor gets hot and needs to be cooled off. In this case the PTO has a advantage.

Advantages and disadvantages in both types. :cheers:

This is the best thread I can find right now on the subject of PTO winches so I'm adding these two photos that appeared on Trademe recently. (The New Zealand equivalent to Ebay)...

My reason for adding them is because I can't recall seeing brackets of this design shown anywhere before ... and they both look OEM. (I'm referring to the "intermediate mount bracket" for the driveshaft and the "hinged shift lock bracket".)

:cheers:

(I will be trying to copy that chassis-bracket when I remount my winch driveshaft - Whenever that will be.)

I find the subject of the shift plate very interesting. I ran across this item for sale in new old stock form recently and wanted to know if anyone else has this style shift plate or lock installed in there fj40?I'm starting to thing it was a non us market pto shifter lock...

image-35584541.jpg

image-1301550694.jpg
image-35584541.jpg
image-1301550694.jpg

I find the subject of the shift plate very interesting. I ran across this item for sale in new old stock form recently and wanted to know if anyone else has this style shift plate or lock installed in there fj40?I'm starting to think it was a non us market pto shifter lock...

image-3606550440.jpg
image-3606550440.jpg

Tom was there any date on this? Using a cable instead of rod going back to the plate was well after Toyota USA discontinued bringing 40s with a PTO from the factory..Is any of this still available in NZ? I like the boot and shift knob if it has forward/neutral/reverse. Can't make out if that's high/neutral/low on that knob. As this being in the US it's possible once Toyota changed the design this was the only one available and was brought into the US then. Happened on many parts.

77-fj-40 said:
I find the subject of the shift plate very interesting. I ran across this item for sale in new old stock form recently and wanted to know if anyone else has this style shift plate or lock installed in there fj40?I'm starting to thing it was a non us market pto shifter lock...

I think that plate was only for a couple of years if even that. My Jdm 81 should have that plate though I installed the early type with the hinge because it's all I had. The cable shifter was also just for that same period. I have one but the cable is shot. I went with a solid linkage.... But I'm thinking of replacing that with a cable just to cut down on noise.

Reviving an old thread here..anyone know where I could get a PTO shifter locking plate? I'd like to find a stock one if I can but I'm not opposed to fabbing one up. Figured I'd ask first. And after reading this all the part numbers are discontinued.

I sold one in the for sale section a few months ago. Perhaps you could contact the buyer to get measurements. I do not have any others.

Best

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom