Proud new owner of an old FJ40 and new to the site (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I inherited my Dad's 1975 FJ40 this January (2016) and I have been working on reversing at least 10 years of neglect while it was stored at his mountain cabin in California.

This is the car in which he taught me to drive and my plan is to do the same for my son in a few years.

What is so funny is that when he bought it in 1981, my Mother and I wanted him to buy a Willie's. We couldn't understand why he would have bought this import, but I am so glad that he didn't listen to us.

Out of all the things he could have left me, this is the most special. I am enjoying every minute that I spend repairing, replacing and pampering this awesome truck.

The first two pictures are what it looked like in January, before I had it moved to Texas and the next three are recent.

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_1194.JPG

Last edited:
Wow that's a beautiful truck! Don't do a thing to it.

BTW Welcome to MUD!

Many thanks for your encouragement! As far as I know, the only MAJOR non stock items are the new roof vent to fill the gaping hole that used to be a plastic dome, (he installed it about 25 years ago and it shattered about 2 years ago), locking dash box and ammo can center console.

Last edited:
Take pride..get her how you want her running and enjoy.
Great looking original Cali truck......that thing is sweet!

Welcome to Mud :)

The radiator cap that you replaced you can still get an oem one from toyota and it comes with the attaching chain

Also the non oem air cleaner hose you can get from @Racer65

You can even find oem radiator hose band clamps to keep it original further :)

You can still get the side emblems new

Great looking truck

It doesn't look too bad for something you call neglected :)

Thank you for your OEM sources. I agree with the importance of maintaining a stock vehicle.
I guess the term "neglect" is relative. Compared to some of the restorations I have seen on this site, you are right, this is not too bad. But this condition is in SHARP contrast to my everyday vehicle. (no leaks, no rattles, no gas smell)
My biggest problem is that all the rubber has turned to powder so everything is leaking. i.e. all the front end joints, transmission, transfer case, brakes, birfields, oil pan, rocker arm cover, differentials, everything.

Hey hey, NICE. I'm not jealous. Really. Mine's not even close to stock, but I love driving it nonetheless. It's also nice to know there's units like yours still around. Enjoy. Welcome.

Welcome mate, You have joined a great bunch of guys here always somebody willing to help. Hope to have my rig looking half as good as what you have already:( Been at it for months but have avoided a few pit fall due to the info here. Cheers:beer:

Thank you for your OEM sources. I agree with the importance of maintaining a stock vehicle.
I guess the term "neglect" is relative. Compared to some of the restorations I have seen on this site, you are right, this is not too bad. But this condition is in SHARP contrast to my everyday vehicle. (no leaks, no rattles, no gas smell)
My biggest problem is that all the rubber has turned to powder so everything is leaking. i.e. all the front end joints, transmission, transfer case, brakes, birfields, oil pan, rocker arm cover, differentials, everything.
Very nice cruiser. Is that you sitting on the hood in your avatar picture?
Yes. My Dad took that picture of me in 1981.

Last edited:
What a great story. Cool picture your Dad took in 81.

What's the build date? I've got a 12/75. One of the PO's sold off many of the original parts on mine before I got it.

@JohnnyC what's the history on the passenger side Tow loop? OEM?

:cheers:

Seriously cool.

I like a good stock 40.

So, get after all the rubber bits. Any older car would need them, including the frame to body rubber, windows and windshield glass. Am assuming these have rubber motor mounts as well.

Just doing those things will improve the squeaks and rattles, I imagine. Note that I don't have a 40, yet, but have voraciously researched them in anticipation of getting one this fall/winter.

What color is that? White or beige?

I found that tow loop in the glove box and the holes lined up, so I thought that was where kt belonged. :( He must have picked it up somewhere. Thank you Bigredrocker.
The paint was originally beige, but in the first few pictures the heavy oxidation makes it look white.
I will check the motor mounts first. Thank you 120mm for that excellent suggestion. I would not have thought about that until it was too late. :skull:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom