1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pros/cons of PS pump mount locations

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Guest, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

OK--I've gathered PS stuff from 85 mini. My question has to do with pump location.
    PS is going in a 79 fj40 that has tapped threads in the oem location. Is it easier to locate
    the pump there, or desmog and replace the air pump with the PS pump. Since I'm lazy
    and don't want to do more work than is necessary, I thought I'd ask.

thanks,
    Jeff

2. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

What I've heard:
    Mount the mini p/s pump in the stock location, then mount the remote resevoir from the mini on the firewall.

And that's all I know.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Sounds good. That was my first thought. JUst need to see how I can mod the pump bracket
    from the donor mini to fit.
    Jeff

4. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

Get creative, see where it fits... you can also use a pump from a Cressida/Supra, many have the reservoir mounted to the pump like a Cruiser. They also have what seems to be miles of line (both hard steel and soft) which could come in handy.

Also, if you want a nice(r) PS cooler, get a transfer case cooler from an automatic equiped truck or runner 85 - 95, along with all lines and fittings, which happens to be the same as the PS stuff.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

bjowett,
    Good idears. I did read (ala pinhead) that if the stock location is used, the pump-mounted reservoir would be too close to the manifold--apparently not a good thing. I think that's why some opt for the remote reservoir mounted to the inner fender.

thanks for the trans cooler tip. I've got the "loop" off an 85 mini right now.

Jeff

6. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Jeff,
    I modified the 22re bracket to fit the 79-up 2F block.  One of the bracket holes lines up with the block holes perfectly to position the pulley.  I drilled a hole for the other bolt.  You could also weld a tab on the back of the bracket to use the rear bolt, but I didn't.  I had to cut away the bottom front part of the bracket to clear my air pump belt.  I also had to reposition the top front mounting arm to clear the belt.  I also had to make a simple bracket from 1 inch angle stock for the air pump to lower in by 1.5 inches.   If you dont have the air pump, you won't have any of these problems. The remote reservoir is just mounted on the fender in front ot the master cylinder.   If you have a belt tensioner for the alternator in the pump location, you may need to run the older style alternator bracket with the integral tensioner.  I have one sitting around.  Basically, I just took off the fender and bolted on the bracket to the first hole and started looking for fit problems and correcting them bu trial and error.  Here is a picture of the bracket that I ended up with.  It took about an hour to booty fab it up and it looks like it, but it has worked fine for about 5 years now.  I should have painted it so it lookes purty.  

[​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks, pin. Exactly what I needed to know--how to fit, what to cut, all that stuff.
    Excellent instructions
    Jeff