Propane cylinder transported on its side? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"Does Propane really expand 270 times in phase change from liquid to gaseous? I did not realize it was on that order at all. Maybe I should change from CO2 for inflating my tires to propane!"

Yes and no, it depends on what temperature you are at before the phase change. It also depends on the pressure during expansion ( I ignored the pressure in the below calculations)

At 96 C there is no expansion
at 25 C there is 22 times expansion
at -40 C there is 235 times expansion

It has been a long day and my mind is a bit fuzzy... but... seems to me that propane in a tank, under pressure... will be at room temp... as it expands and turns to gas ov course there will be cooling... but once that has a chance to warm to room temp it will continue it's expansion.

Propane is stored as a liquid... so the expansion we would be concerned with for this tangent we are off on, would be from liquid at whatever pressure is required to keep it liquid, to gas at ambient temp (say -20C to 25C)?

Yes?

it is not that so much that there is a pressure that's required to keep it liquid. IIANM, what happens is that the liquid and gas are in equilibrium at the specific pressure (the vapor pressure) that corresponds to the temperature of the liquid gas mixture. For example if the ambient temperature (and that is also then the temperature of the inside of the tank, liquid and gas, remember it is *not* colder in there when stored) is about 25C or 77F, then the vapor pressure is about 10 atm or 150 psi. So a manometer on the tank would read 150psi. If it gets hotter, the pressure goes higher and vice-versa. Where it gets iffy is if it gets too hot. At 325K (about 50C or 122F, that's pretty hot, but not impossible in the sun if it's a dark color for instance) it gets to be about 300 psi, which is probably well above when the relief valve kicks in cuz I don't think these little tanks can handle 300 psi.

Somebody should tell the Iraqis how to transport their propane tanks...
They always store them on their sides..kick them down the street..even in the heat of the summer..They are constantly falling off the donkey carts that deliver them...Their propane tanks look like they were drug behind a car for a long time...They are all rusted out...I dont think they understand about expansion and stuff....and i dont think they care....If I could only show you videos
You would have to see it to understand. It blows our minds
But then again they have been marrying their first cousins for thousands of years

Here we go, Sorry to bring up such a hotly debated subject again, But here is how I mounted it...

3357540945_bb4493216c_b.jpg

It fits under I-70

Here we go, Sorry to bring up such a hotly debated subject again, But here is how I mounted it...

3357540945_bb4493216c_b.jpg

It fits under I-70

you know if you want to mount it super bling. Cut a hole the diameter of the tank in the floor or your rack. then pop rivet a small cage just barely off the roof line, this will drop the tank down a bit more and the rack will keep it secure.

Nice thought!
There is only one tab on the outside of the bracket and one on the inside, Its so it will fit the Front Runner rack slide system, But if I went all out I dont see why I couldnt weld on a few extra mounting tabs.
I will give it some thought, Or I may pony up/trade for a smaller one, But it works for now.
Thanks for the thought :)

Looks good. :grinpimp:

Brian - How have you liked the propane carrier on top of your rack?

Anything you'd do differently?

Looking to do the same but on a FR Wind Cheetah.

Checking with Paul to see if these are still available - there is a picture on the FR Accessories page, but no tank carrier holder is listed. . .

I have mine in a milkcrate bolted to roofrack
ForumRunner_20120501_075147.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom