Builds Project X (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the shed guy said:
Hey Mr W5,

gonna cut a section out of the 80 floor to make the trans tunnel in the 45?

And will the 45 have elec mirrors, windows, demister etc etc out of the 80? [like working form the 80 swithces, not transplanted windows from the 80.....]

The floor in the 80 is not tall enough to adapt to the 45 tub for clearance. I am going to make my own tunnel from sheet metal. As far as the door electrics go, at first I had decided to take the whole door wiring out of the harness, but then decided to leave the wiring there just in case. This truck will have a soft top on it with soft doors most of the time anyway, so the locks and windows wouldn't be an issue.

I plan on running 37-40" tires on a 16-17" rim depending on tire selection. I am hoping to run just the apron with a custom tube fender similar to Charles Kims, but thats still up for debate. I will see how it goes today.

Thanks for the tire offer there Gumby, not you Gumby.
G

Radd Cruisers said:
Looks like spagetti....................

Should make for a cool build, really diggin the full toy build.
No this is spagetti. This was me removing some of the unwanted stuff out of the harness. It is strange but the truck seems to start faster without some of the crap. Impossible right?
P1010013.JPG

Better get moving if you are going to finish by the Roundup! Guess not, hugh?

Kewl project, looks great.

Yep, that was the spagetti I was refering too.

Funny how a skematic and all those nicely coloured wires makes the job so much easier.

Can`t wait to see this evolve.

Gary, for reference I measured my FJ45, it's 31.5" from the seam where the running board and fender meet to the center of the front hub......

Butch

Mine measures 24" but its not where its going to stay. I moved the cab as far forward as I could get for some cab/bed measurements. How much room is there from the valve cover to the firewall? How about the rear of the valve cover to the front of the radiator? If I line up the bed where it should go the cab can come back as far as I need it to. I am trying to keep the same front end look as close as possible to stock.

Last edited:
get to work :p

we need updates!

Looks fantastic wish I had the idea first.

Set the bed back on today. This time I put it on centered over the axle and moved the cab back to meet it. In this posistion, the cab is within 1" of the measurement from the fender to the front axle centerline on stock 40-45. The truck looks right and with some mods to the bed, it will sit level with the cab and bolt down to the frame in all the right spots. I am going to mount the bed with 1 mount in the front and 2 in the rear, to allow the frame to flex easier. I am not sure what to do about tire clearance. The wheel well opening on the bed doesn't look like its 37-39" friendly.
P1010004.JPG
P1010005.JPG

What are your plans for the suspension?

Gives me shivers. That rig rocks!

how much does an 80 frame actually flex? I always figgered they were pretty stiff.

I was driving around in my customers 1HZ FJ45 diesel totday and later in my wifes 80 series, gotta admitt that the 80 drives like a Cady compared to the 45 (but I love the diesels.).

Looking real Gooooood.

You prolly answereed this question, what is the wheel base comparisons between the two vehicles?

Rob

By the book, the 45 LWB pickup is 116" and the 80 is 112". As far as frame flexing goes. I am not sure how much it will flex with a lighter body and less body mounts but we will see. The 80 probably doesn't flex much with the frame design and
added to that are the 8 body mounts and a very rigid body. I am not looking to make this the flex king, but only to take advantage of everything I can. If it wheels 1/2 as good as Christo's Shorty, then I will be happy.

Cut the bed today. I measured for about 3 hours until I decided on this spot. With the tailgate system grafted on it will add about 3 more inches. With 38s, it should be close to 90* departure. I am so tired of dragging my a$$ with my wagons that given the choice, I would do this one where it won't drag. I also cut the bed out for the suspension mods I'm doing. After reading all the threads about 80s articulation and talking to Christo extensively, it looks like really long shocks and removeable sway bar links. I want the rear to work as well as the front 3 link.
P1010006.JPG
P1010008.JPG

Well, Gary, don't think all I am doing is hunting bad things............but the looks of the bed are not aesthetically pleasing to me.....too much in front of the tire, it reminds me of a puller truck that has been stretched to put the rear axle as far back as possible. remember the look you were going for?
FJ45.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom