Project: Lemonade Stand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
...And now for something completely different!

As many of you know, the warehouse where I stored quite a few of the landcruiser parts I didn't have room for in my shop had an electrical fire two months ago.

Mark's Off Road Fire Damage Update

Once I got over the initial shock and the herculean effort of cleaning up the mess, I had to figure out what the 'new' plan was going to be. The warehouse was and is no longer an option.

I poured some more concrete in my backyard and purchased a second storage container, documented in the fire thread. After looking at it for a few days, the gears started turning, in a different direction. They say that when life gives you lemons, make lemonade! And so the idea for the 'lemonade stand' was born.

One of my hobbies for the last nine years has been helping stabilize historic cabins in the California desert. I am constantly on the lookout for weathered materials to make 'period correct' repairs on these cabins. I took an inventory of materials on hand and found I had exactly enough planks of 1x12 to cover the side of the container that faces the back yard. And a friend of mine had a weathered door panel narrow enough to match the space left between two of the three pallet racks that I am shoe-horning into the container.

This project will move forward as time permits, because the priority is getting moved out of the warehouse. But I got enough fountational work done this weekend to add a porch with a corrugated roof to the project down the road. I have already gleaned good information from this forum for ventilation and lighting options, and those will be added down the road too.

Last edited:
Saturday morning: drill pilot holes between the racks to identify the doorway.
image.jpeg

11am: almost done cutting out the hole. Note to self: nylon backed leather gloves and extended runs with the cutoff wheel are not compatible.
image.jpeg

7pm. One nap and one trip to the hardware store for hinges later, the doorway is framed, and the new old side door is roughed in.

If you've never cut into a storage container, it's worth noting that all of the panels are stressed. I went thru four cutoff wheels in less than half the doorway before realizing that the wheels were taking on an undue burden. After that I scored the ribs only half way thru with the cutoff, then went back and cut thru in sections. Did the second half of the door with only one wheel, which was still good to start on the window with the next day.
image.jpeg

This morning consisted of creating a framework to hang the weathered panels from, as well as frame out the window (left over from a laundry room remodel last fall)
image.jpeg

That's gonna be great, Mark!! Especially, once you get the front porch in place!!

Earthquake proof, fire proof, burglary proof, bomb proof ;)

:popcorn:

I like it!!

As soon as the law allows loud noises (7am) I was back at it, assembling pallet racks and boltless shelves until it was too hot to stay inside (104 here today). Then I moved outside and started measuring for the weathered planks. The gap at the top will allow for adding a roof to the porch later that will still be just below the roofline of the container.
image.jpeg

until it was too hot to stay inside (104 here today).

Do anything to put a second roof over the top of the container - like cinder blocks and sheetmetal. It will act as a heat shield and the airspace between the roof and the container will keep the heat from conducting to the container.

This is my cousins container garage/carport one container has tools and the other is the gas powered equip Storage. Both have doors in the carport area.

The roof cuts down the Cali heat.

Good to see you regrouping well after your fire Mark, keep up the good work.

image.jpg

Do anything to put a second roof over the top of the container - like cinder blocks and sheetmetal. It will act as a heat shield and the airspace between the roof and the container will keep the heat from conducting to the container.

See those trees behind the container? They're my neighbors. I guarantee you if I build anything over the top of the container, the north valley winds will fill it with my neighbor's leaves. But thanks for the thought. I will be installing a solar powered attic fan, so I'm really not worried about heat as a long-term issue.

This is my cousins container garage/carport one container has tools and the other is the gas powered equip Storage. Both have doors in the carport area.

The roof cuts down the Cali heat.

Good to see you regrouping well after your fire Mark, keep up the good work.

View attachment 1327957

If I didn't have container envy before, I do now!

See those trees behind the container? They're my neighbors. I guarantee you if I build anything over the top of the container, the north valley winds will fill it with my neighbor's leaves. But thanks for the thought. I will be installing a solar powered attic fan, so I'm really not worried about heat as a long-term issue.

So close off the space with hardware cloth to keep leaves, birds, and such out of there. Believe me, the heat shield will make a considerable difference - much, much more than a fan.

I appreciate your input. As if I didn't have enough to do, @Redgrrr 's post has got more gears turning. I am going to put the porch on hold for this winter just to see where the gears take me. You know, there is that second container. And there is that space between the first container and the mulberry tree that might make a mini-carport. Hmmm.

In the meantime, the insulation and lighting considerations have taken an interesting turn. Pics to follow.

Finished framing up the window this morning. Inside sill is a scrap of mahogany. Outside sill is roughsawn oak.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

This is so cool. Getting a bunch of inspiration right now.

I appreciate your input. As if I didn't have enough to do, @Redgrrr 's post has got more gears turning. I am going to put the porch on hold for this winter just to see where the gears take me. You know, there is that second container. And there is that space between the first container and the mulberry tree that might make a mini-carport. Hmmm.

In the meantime, the insulation and lighting considerations have taken an interesting turn. Pics to follow.

So, one of the more unusual things I inherited from my father was a dozen or so sheets of white polypro, in thicknesses from 3/32 to 1/2. I had fabricated a number of barriers for dealing with the corrosives he used, and was reasonably proficient in seam welding plastic. Anyhow, without any projects in mind, I was just planning to drag these home from the warehouse and stash them in the back of the garage for a someday-never-comes project. Then it hit me: THEY'RE WHITE!

So I shaved 3" off the thin ones and propped them up inside the container. Faster than you could see teeth brightening and insulation in one I had half the container paneled.:)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Now the 3/8 " ones weigh 60lbs a piece. I'm thinking that the four of those should go a long way to shielding the roof.

Interesting that it is branded from General Tire.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for planting the seed @PAToyota .:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom