Builds Project - EffjJay Eighty - 2UZ powered (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Project EffJay Eighty -

UPDATES Thruout the thread Jan 1st 2012
I'll try to create an index here in the next few weeks

UPDATES 8-2-12 - Page 25 - Dual Batt and Dual Volt gauge install

I've only seen three other FJ-80 swaps powered by 4.7liter yota motors. (SuperRunner aka Rob) and two others who I can’t think of off the top of my head.

I hope to document a decent amount of data or at least allot of photos here for people to reference. I'm already find myself wishing I had photos of the dismantle.

I picked up a 93' FZJ-80. I was told its safari edition but have no idea what that is or how to tell.

The rig as I bought it Thanksgiving Day 09'

It has factory e-lockers front and rear
4.88 gears
315-75-15 Goodyear MTR's
ARB snorkel
ARB bull bumper
2.5" OME lift
Nasty smelly grey leather interior
Ghetto Panasonic CD player
ADS Amp and ADS components

And a blown 1FZ

Getting dragged home

DSC07975.JPG

I paid waaaaay too much. IIRC the guy was asking over 10k on Craigslist. I watched as it fell down to the 6k mark...which had it been running may have been reasonable for this part of the region. I didnt pay that much but still...

I was ready to order a 2UZ from a salvage yard in California that I found on the car dash part dot com web site. 1600+shipping for an entire tundra swap. Not too bad....until I was up late searching eBay and found a 2005 tundra motor swap complete with a TRD charger for $2800 buy it now. Needless to say by morning time when I got around to calling to order, it was already sold.
The next night I was on craigslist and found a guy that was semi local (106 miles away) parting a 2000 tundra. It’s what I wanted. No DBW (Drive by wire) no VVTi even though they have more torque. I went down to look at. The rig was smacked hard in the front and was sent spinning thus messing up all four corners.

The guy said his son bought it to swap the motor into a bronco II but became intimidated by the swap after looking at the harness.

He just wanted it out of the yard. I picked up the whole truck for 1000 bux. Not bad I though, I should be able to re-coup a little money with all the good parts it does have that can be sold. Kinda offsets the fact that I overpaid for the cruiser.

The donor

IMG_7803.JPG

I’m no newb to custom builds. The latest creation as of its last round of mods is a 92' 4Runner that’s 5.0HO powered/ZF5spd/D300
FF14B on 63" Chevys/D60 on 44044 w/RUFS
38"TSL/H1 Beadlocs with deans PVC inserts
Stretched 6" Not a bolt on part on the thing.
stump1.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the FSM and EWD for the FJ.
I downloaded the 00'-03' Tundra FSM but the wire diagram shows an 03' with DBW.
Im sure there are other wiring differences as well and I want to make sure this goes right.

Does anyone have a copy of the factory EWD for a 00' tundra ECM ?

My wife likes to take photos of me when im not looking. Not sure why. Maybe a closet voyeur ? Im the bald one. My buddy Ant sportin some plumbers crack

DSC07976.JPG

The guy said the rig was running rough for a while but continued to drive it to its untimly roadside demise pouring its lifeblood on the hwy. Consiting of mixed oil and coolant.

It sat parked in his driveway for a few months.

I looked in the oil and saw no trace of coolant and no oil in the radiator. I changed the oil and spark plugs and with a fresh battery gave it a compression test. 4 of 6 holes showed no sign of life. I was hoping it was just a BHG

So off came the head. (Which like others have suggested was a PITA)

We found a melted piston

DSC08006.JPG

Said chunks of melted fragmented piston embedded in the head

DSC07982.JPG

I left my camera at home today but ill DL some photos of the engine pulled last night and report some other findings.
I want to thank Ant and his brother Justin for dismantling the tundra for me this week and separating the parts into usable vs garbage.
In 18deg F weather outside even ! bravo gents.

I'll get the motor pulled from the tundra sunday and brought up to my house.

I would have towed the tundra to my house but I live in a neighborhood with an HOA and needless to say im not allowed to have non running vech's sitting outside. Im kinda snobby in that way, I preffer it that way.
We previously lived in a neighborhood with a bunch of trashy people that drove my home value down having red vinyl restaraunt benchs on thier porch with 100 pair of shoes. Garbage stacked in the yard so high it peaked over the fences and attracted rodents from miles around.

But I digress...

Awesome.

Subscribed.

I wish I had this kinda motivation, when your done I'll trade ya...

I DL'd my pix from last night. All be damn if the batteries werent dead :mad: All the photos look grainy like a crappy cel cam...sorry

A pic of the four car garage that only one car and one bike fit in right now.
We just moved in last month and I cant believe how there is no room. The last garage was half this size and we had twice the amount of junk... and it all fit.
Guess thats what happens when its all on the ground instead of in cabinets.
I still havent put up my lights, so I have a 2x4 up temporarily.
DSC08040.JPG

I pulled all the sheetmetal, grill, headlights, bumper etc. I've seen some people swap w/o removing these parts but IMO its much easier and only took part of an hour to pull it all.

DSC08042.JPG

Everything unbolted and ready for lift off

DSC08043.JPG

Coming out (some old chain Ant had layin around because my ballance bar got lent out with the hoist last time but never made it home)

DSC08044.JPG

Ready to strip down

DSC08046.JPG

A little human blood mixed in the transmissions life blood

Blood.jpg

We have a vacancy !

DSC08049.JPG

And a closeup of the piston, literally looked like a oxy torch melted it. I cant imagine what it looked like while it was melting :doh:

DSC08054.JPG

Looks like a good start.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

:popcorn:

This will be a fun build to watch....can i drive it when your done? :hmm:

Subscribed!

What is the likely cause of a piston to get melted like that in a 1FZFE?

What is the likely cause of a piston to get melted like that in a 1FZFE?

Heat :flipoff2:

No really, probably that particular cylinder ran too lean a fuel mixture. Possibly from a bad injector? Too much fuel has a cooling effect but lean causes high combustion chamber temps :eek:

What did the plugs look like when you pulled them? They may be able to tell some of the story.... If I had a guess though I'd say it'd be a bad injector too.

What did the plugs look like when you pulled them? They may be able to tell some of the story.... If I had a guess though I'd say it'd be a bad injector too.

Oddly enough they were all about even. Light tan ceramic, black tips with worn electrodes. With exception of 3-4-5 that had traces of burnt coolant. But none of the electrodes were melted or showed signs of being beaten by flying metal chunks. Kinda odd.

The fram filter is what I put on it when i did the oil change to do the compression test. The filter that was on it was one of those junkers from jiffy lube :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom