Builds Project Cherry Bomb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
Well, I sold off my 40 project that stalled out and my 100. This is the replacement rig that I am picking up tomorrow. She is a 1991 Toyota 4Runner that I decided to name Cherry Bomb. It is Cardinal Red with grey interior (hence the Cherry), 3.0l V6 (hence the bomb), 5-Speed, stock cased, and SAS. The front axle is set up with a high pinion 3rd, 5.29 gears, Detroit locker, and 30-spline chromos. The rear also has 5.29's and a Detroit. The suspension in TG springs with Bilstiens. Bumpers and sliders are TG with HID driving lights and Warn winch. She also has 36x13.50x15 Iroks with less than 2000 miles on them and M/T aluminium wheels. All and all it is a very clean Runner and I'm excited to get back out on the "big boy" trails. The plan is to make this a capable wheeler that I can still use for adventuring. Think of a truck that I can drive down to Rubicon, wheel the trail, and drive home. Modifications and adjustments will be made with those goals in mind. Without further adieu, here are the pics!

FB_IMG_1472847213473_zpsi60jhp1o.jpg

20160905_152050_zpsxobhy7z5.jpg

20160905_151814_zpsgiarfjlt.jpg

20160905_151731_zpshk4yavpc.jpg

20160905_151719_zpsl5edlpz2.jpg

20160905_151708_zpsdsedauoq.jpg

cherry_bomb_logos_by_cherrybombhits_zpsil0ljuqh.jpg

Sweet!

I picked up the truck Saturday morning and spent all day trying to get the back window to roll down so I could open the tailgate. I ended up cleaning the switch on the console and that got it working. The keyed switch outside still doesn't work, but I will save that for another day. For now it isn't bothering me... Yet.

I ended up taking her up to TSF yesterday to test it out. Everything works flawless other then a bit of noise from the steering pump in the rocks. I will look into that a bit before Cruisin the Woods. It definitely could use 4.7's in the transfer case on the rougher stuff. Especially going downhill. All in all, I am impressed! The cruise control even works and it cruises at 65 mph like it's nothing. Here is the only pic I got because I was by myself:

20160911_145227_zpsmylr6zax.jpg

I LOVE the Iroks, but I'm still considering selling the tire and wheel combo to put a radial tire back on. I think it would work better for what I am wanting to do with the truck as a whole. Now I just need to get a few things dialed in and she will be ready to go!

A way to increase the life span of the VZ is put some headers on it. The stock manifolds are pretty restrictive.

Well I am way past due for an update! I had a lot that I wanted to accomplish before Cruisin’ the Woods, so I was working pretty hard at getting everything done. I had bought a 12 circuit aux fuse block for the 100, so I figured I would wire that in to run all of my accessories. I used 4 gauge wire from the battery through a 100 amp fuse and located the block between the dash and the center console. I forgot how compact everything is on these 4Runners! Once that was installed, I rewired my CB and amp to it. That cleaned up some wiring in the engine bay. Next I was able to install my 2M Ham radio and hard-wire my fridge. The last thing on my rushed to-do list was swap the front tires left to right so that they were pointing the correct direction.

Upon loading up the truck for camping/wheeling for four days, it became apparent that I need to add some lift / spring rate to my rear springs. She had enough cali-tail to make Snoop Dogg proud!

20160922_094151_zpsvdmnnikn.jpg

It was so bad that I actually wore through my mudflaps. As of now, I’m thinking of adding an add-a-leaf and possibly longer shackles. The other option would be to replace the rear springs all together. I currently have Trail Gear 5” springs on the back, which are 56” long and only have a spring rate of 195 lbs. All-Pro makes a spring that is the same length but 6” of lift and 250 lbs. I could also look into having a set made for me by Alcan. I’m just not sure what the best action will be at this time. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Other than that, I am very impressed with this truck! I have a few other things I would like to address, but the suspension is first on my list. Next will be baselining the engine since I have no history on it and figuring out a way to make the steering easier in 4Lo. That Detroit in the front makes for a workout! The other thing I need to figure out is how to get all of my trail equipment organized and secured.

if you are putting more weight in the back, sure you will need more spring rate .. and if you not are ready to trim fenders .. more lift ..

I would start trimming personally .. and going same lift with more spring rate ..

On the steering replacing the auto locker for a selectable locker would be mi first step ..

I am not opposed to trimming fenders, but I would like to get the truck level first! Eventually I will be adding quite a bit of weight to the truck and I know that I will need a higher spring rate, but I'm not sure how much. I'm thinking that the best plan of action for the time being would be to put in an AAL as a quick fix. That should get me by until I add the RTT, swing out tire/jerry can holder, and load deck. At that point I can look at what needs to be trimmed and also corner weigh the truck so that I can get custom leaf packs made for the rear.

I have thought about replacing the auto locker for a selectible, but I have a few issues with that. First is the cost of buying a selectible unit and re-setting up the gears. Second is I don't really trust ARB lockers. I have had to fix too many on the trail. I'm leaning more towards a twin stick (so I can disconnect the front but keep it in low range) and possibly hydro assist.

I bet you have dr dre's 2001 chronic playing.

A way to increase the life span of the VZ is put some headers on it. The stock manifolds are pretty restrictive.

Interesting. I haven't heard of that before. Of course, this is only the second 3VZ I have owned and I haven't messed with either of them. LOL!

I'm pretty sure the best way to increase the life span of a 3vz is to pull it out, put it in a corner and replace it with a 5vzfe:grinpimp:. That should yield a pretty long life just sitting there.

I'm pretty sure the best way to increase the life span of a 3vz is to pull it out, put it in a corner and replace it with a 5vzfe:grinpimp:. That should yield a pretty long life just sitting there.

That is true... Want to fund the swap? :flipoff2:

there are other selectable lockers out there .. not only ARB .. but there still good chunk of $$$ for any of those .. and how well that would work for you it related a lot with the kind of terrain in you wheel .. I had an auto locker on front once and was absolutely terrible in any possible circumstance .. even disconnecting the front DS .. guess it's worst for a LWB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom