Project: Buyers Remorse FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally got started on the stupid 72 FJ40 I drug home this summer. I went out and looked at it with cash in hand and talked myself outta it because it needed a ton of work. Then he lowered the price $300 and I couldn't say 'no'. DAMMIT! I drove it onto the trailer and immediately regretted it.
Pros: Allegedly rebuilt 350 V8 (actually runs shockingly well), ARB lockers front and rear, possibly has different gears in the axles, sprung over, almost no rust, 12k Warn winch, York compressor plumbed and functional, 35's with room for 38's, curb appeal
Cons: Transmission adapter split in half, hacked wiring straight outta a chevy, 4 wheel drums that require the pedal pumped before they work, no power steering, cut out dash replaced with diamond plate, all welding and most fab work done by a baboon with a arc welder, 12k Warn winch needs new motor, York compressor installed poorly with a lot of zip ties holding the hoses, No hardtop no doors, no rear doors, windshield held up with a bungee, someone seam sealed everything, lower rockers cut off, very marginal cage, fenderwell headers, sm420 with a mile of play in the shifter, seats screwed in...yes, screws!

20150812_185516_zpslet9jtgi.jpg

Anyway, figured I'd get it driveable which meant fixing the cracked advanced adapters between the land cruiser transfer case and the sm420. The dude actually drove it about 40mph like this!
20151125_115600_zpsdoiksa5a.jpg

Once removed it literally fell apart.
20151125_153050_zpsaacipahg.jpg

The right hand side of the transfercase mount had broke and been poorly repaired probably on the trail, which is probably what caused the adapter to break. Got a new mount sitting behind it.
20151125_145733_zpsbplxihso.jpg

The beautiful repair job up close and personal. This level of quality has been the theme of this truck.
20151125_145745_zps4rmhkgvj.jpg

This is the frame side of the mount, they also did a gnarly repair here too! Yes that is rebar tucked behind the mount that they used as a spacer!
20160106_131403_zpspdjxgq1b.jpg

Found a slightly pre-owned plate adapter for a sm465 to a Land Cruiser 3 speed transfer case so I yanked the sm465 outta my FJ55 since I wasn't going to use it anyway.

For the new plate style adapter the fj40 transfer case input gear slides on to the sm465 output shaft, which is amazing considering they are two different manufacturers. The hard part was you are supposed to drill and tap the transmission output shaft, went to 3 machine shops and nobody would touch it. Was gonna hit up Matt with his lathe but Gnob suggested putting a snap ring on it and that's the way I went. Had to grind the gear down a little to expose the splines but it went really well overall.
20160104_151400_zpsjglvojgi.jpg

Finally got it all bolted together.
20160105_131024_zpscmyictik.jpg

The guy I got the plate adapter from also gave me a bunch of other goodies. For some reason I now have 3 sticks to worry about protruding though my floor. I think the 3rd one is for warp drive!
20160106_125955_zpsbp9uyrvr.jpg

I removed the fuel tank and the seats to get the dog house out. Almost no rust in this thing! Evidently it was originally forest green. The fuel tank promptly started leaking as soon as I removed it. Gonna need a new one. This is as far as I got at the moment. Gonna cut the transfercase mounts out and redo them next before I install the transmission.
20160106_151315_zpsvs7gwpp2.jpg

Free seats anyone? No idea what they're out of but they are wide and fairly reasonable upholstery wise. They were screwed to those mounts!
20160106_141523_zpsuiybpkc5.jpg

Dash fail. Note the wiring zip tied to the roll cage. That is how you start the engine! With an allen wrench! One outta 9 gauges actually works!
20160106_131940_zpswegydy0w.jpg

Here is the master control panel! Must have been a sale on the switches! Also has the line lock and idle up controller right there, nice touch at least. You can see the "key" underneath the line lock.
20160106_132005_zpshs59kfgg.jpg

I figured nothing was connected and that's why the gauges didn't work. I was wrong. Don't worry, all the wiring is color coordinated... to red.
20160106_151310_zpsp0ypxu6z.jpg

Last edited:
More failed goodness.
Like those radiator mounts?
20160106_131612_zpsevutb7lb.jpg

Engine mounts booger welded on... with 1/2" plate...doubled up. Don't worry, they left the old engine mounts in because they were really detail oriented.
20160106_131539_zpspe9xnigc.jpg

They actually have a pretty nice traction bar... and then the fuel line is routed right through the floor right next to it. At least they put two filters on it!
20160106_131413_zps6yirpimb.jpg

This is the rear air tank for the ARB's. I don't know what that little box is with all the goop on it.
20160106_131433_zpsvt0ymnhu.jpg

Here's the tank drain which hangs way down. Can't believe this setup ever held air!
20160106_131439_zpskxzlqrsd.jpg

The clutch wouldn't release sometimes...I'm sure it had nothing to do with the clutch arm dragging on the frame rail. Notice its self clearancing one gear shift at a time! Just another 1000 shifts and it won't hang up anymore!
20151125_121250_zpsnxhaj1p1.jpg

:meh: $300. I'd call it good.

No, he knocked $300 off the price! The total price went from $3800 to $3500... Unfortunately since then I have seen 3 fj40's that were all cheaper and in better condition overall. So annoying! I'm pushing $4000 now and it doesn't look any better.

:doh:

I can't read.

Nice to see progress. I miss driving a 40. They are nice to run out in the woods without a top and the short wheel base makes for easy wheelin'.

I got faith that you will make that a very worthy 40. That and I bet it ends up with a rainbow on the hood!

Great pictures J, thanks for sharing.
Remember, I still have those two boxes of parts removed from my ride.
Let me know if I can help.

You might be a redneck if you think rebar is a legitimate piece of metal for using in fabrication. Finally cut out the old Trans mounts! Check out the goobered chunk of metal they welded onto the top the one mount.
20160119_140353_zpsnsm4btwl.jpg

Got the transmission hanging behind the engine and realized the whole thing was a little skewed to one side. So I decided to take some measurements at the engine mounts but couldn't even get to one engine mount because it was buried underneath a pyramid of ghetto fab! Behold the battery tray from hell! It's welded to the frame on one side, has one bolt through the inner fender and the other side was flapping in the breeze because the awful welds he did broke. I need a beer to help come to terms with my emotions on this one.
20160119_160638_zps2bwqbc5p.jpg

Holy freekin crap! Seems like every turn you find more ghettofab. So disheartening. You can overcome this :worms:

I am going through some of the things you are right now too. My thought is take it all down and do it right. I ended up doing a frame swap, so it took over my garage. Luckily I had several friends come to my rescue.

Keep the pics coming.

Although sometimes entertaining.
Its mostly irritating to fix a mess that should have never been made.

Just because you have tools doesn't mean you should use them.

The plot thickens! I was able to unbolt the engine mounts today and I think I'm gonna leave the remaining 3/8" plate and just clean up the welds on it. It does a good job of spreading the load of the engine mounts, just isn't pretty. Also yanked the York compressor off the engine, evidently it works if anyone wants it for $20.
Needed to hang the transmission from the roll cage so I started by taking off some of the "roof". It was 3 aluminum panels of different sizes riveted in place.
20160120_111639_zpssuuirxc5.jpg

Cherry picker was in the way and I needed to suspend the engine too so I could redo those mounts also since the whole thing was crooked.
20160120_112150_zpsberx4juz.jpg

Couldn't find the engine underneath the York that was mounted on top to supply air for the ARB's. Decided I'd get one of those Puma DC air compressors and mount it in the back instead of having this hacked atrocity on the engine. Besides I'm gonna need real estate for the power steering box and pump.
20160120_114154_zpsszuzduut.jpg

Ok, check this out... follow the green/redish wire from left to right and then back to the middle... goes from the York then around the master cylinder... and then it is alligator clipped to the center of an exposed wire back on the firewall!
20160120_120633_zpsaz2up07o.jpg

I was finally able to lift the engine and remove the huge chunks of metal comprising the old mounts. It was 3/8" plate with channel coming off to another plate to a rubber bushing to another plate. You can see one mount is several inches longer than the other which pushed the engine to the drivers side which is not the side you wanna push an engine with the steering shaft coming through over there. Dug around in the shop a little and came up with some factory Chevy mounts that were already stripped and painted along with some polyurethane bushings that perfectly fit the bolt on the new engine mount. Also found an old jack handle that the new bushings fit in. We'll see what I can come up with tomorrow to mount the engine.
20160120_142606_zpsahwg2iug.jpg

Hey J, I'll take the york :)

Ty, if you decide to install that York, I have some good info on how to modify it to reduce the oil transfer to the air tanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom