Project "Beaker" a BJ-44 expedition build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow!... :eek:

Awesome design...loving the attention to detail

More, welding the inside of the box. getting ready for the top very soon

Justin
FILE0012.jpg

That looks awesome! Nice work Justin! Beaker is going to be killer!

Yup. He's got a set of '85 FJ60 axles I dropped off with the truck. I was boggling my head on how to mount them with the leaf springs. Problem now solved! Plus I want the 3.73s.

Sweet. I don't envy you on the dent in your wallet. But looks like he's doing clean work. I advise against heim joints though. For the money I would go johnie joints, they seem to me like they would hold up better in the long run. The hiems are super strong, I just think they wear out kinda fast from what Ive heard. I would like to go 60 axles myself. Thats gonna be a cool truck.

Let's just say Justin is going above and beyond here. He is using my truck as a bit of a guinea pig for some cool ideas he wants to implement on future truck builds. As far as the heims go, I trust Justin and Jay explicitly.

From what Justin has told me (and I'll let him clarify when he posts again), the design is to provide the strongest and most reliable system for expedition. IIRC, he stated that the Heims will provide better tracking and localization of the axle due to the added strength and flex characteristics. Since this truck will be driven as an expo rig and will most likely go around as opposed to over the more advanced obstacles, the extra mobility of the johnny joint would not be needed. Plus since I will not be flexing the heims so much, they should last as long or longer than the johnny joints.

And, I may bring one or two along as spares just in case! ;)

I would have tried to find 80 axles if they were not so much wider. Since I plan on driving into some countries that have higher incidences of crime, the closer to stock the truck looks, the better. With the 60s, I can adjust the width with wheels instead of spacers.

Last edited:
Yup. He's got a set of '85 FJ60 axles I dropped off with the truck. I was boggling my head on how to mount them with the leaf springs. Problem now solved! Plus I want the 3.73s.

I've got HJ61 axles on my LX and I love them. Sadly, they still have the 4:11s.... until I get back to the US with it and swap in 3:73s.

Josh

Thanks guys, So this is what she looks like with the top on. We still have clean up and finish tig welding at this point!!

Justin
FILE0016.jpg

Do you just cut those temp bolts out?

Looks like he may have to. Minor oversight on an awesome assembly.

Looks like he got them in there after the thing was welded- they are not in post 64-

Pete

Pics of the upper coil bucket. We are string up to weld right now...:grinpimp:

This piece or pieces are 3/16 for the main structure and we will have 1/8 flush mount caps to keep the crud out and create a nice finish!!

Justin
FILE0019.jpg
FILE0020.jpg

Do you just cut those temp bolts out?
Looks like he may have to. Minor oversight on an awesome assembly.
Looks like he got them in there after the thing was welded- they are not in post 64-Pete

The top was just resting on the sides in the picture... We put it together about four times before we were satisfied with the clearances and were ready to assemble. Its amusing to me because it took about half of a day for us to be "ok" with assembly and then the rest of the day to weld, we had some intense jigging going on. The piece wound up within 1/32" of the CAD drawing very happy with it...

Yes, I put them in backwards...:(

Hack... :hillbilly:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom