Project "Beaker" a BJ-44 expedition build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't rush him! He keeps improving the design! Soon he may rebuild the whole truck!

Just kidding! I have been reading Expo/Overlanding articles and starting to dream too much!

Do people realize that you can subscribe to a thread without posting to the thread? Check out the "thread tools" link at the top of the page!

Matt-

They're just posting to increase their post count....and it lets everyone know whos really 'subscribed' :)

This thread sure sounds cool....but is WORTHLESS WITHOUT MORE PHOTOS!!!

Come on Justin - break out the camera....take pics of the AutoCad if you have to, but post up somethin damnit!

:)

This is going to be awesome! Subscribed...

we are also posting about subscribing to encourage the people in their dreaming, designing and building. it's nice to know other people appreciate the work and creativity each cruiser puts into their trucks. it's not just about post numbers. it's about ideas and cool projects.

franklin40 said:
we are also posting about subscribing to encourage the people in their dreaming, designing and building. it's nice to know other people appreciate the work and creativity each cruiser puts into their trucks. it's not just about post numbers. it's about ideas and cool projects.

Agreed!!! That's one of the main reasons I do it.

heee hooooo.... where was I the last days, first time I see this thread and oh oh oh... boy.. what an interesting one... two thumbs up kraig for the BJ44 improvement.. I would never dare or wish to do that to my truck, but It always great to see others do it.. :)

subscribed!!!!

anyway, how are all the BJ44 owners doing? kinda silent lately..

<illegal hijack>btw, if someone has a bj44 "wiper arm nut cover" laying around please ring my bell..</end illegal hijack>:D

Looking forward to this thread and your ideas. good luck!

Subscribed!

Dani

Settle down you heathens! Justin asked me to post this image so you don't tear is shop down in anticipation.

This is the Rear Upper Coil Bucket design from CAD. He promised to send me some more that he or I will post soon!
BJ44-UpCoilBucketBr.jpg

:popcorn:

Thanks for posting that up, Kraig... Ok so, I will explain the items you see!

First, the biggest piece is the main structure that will span inside the frame rails.
We will have 2 of them cut, an lower and upper. made of 3/16" plate steel cut by a plasma table.

2nd, the longest/ slimest piece is our vertical connectors, we will place these in the slots cut out of the main upper and lower. this will create a very strong req. box that is slim. So once we tach these pieces together we will have the frame scab plates on the ends of the structure.

The nice thing about this design, is, its very strong and light. We will be TIG welding this structure from start to finish!

We will also have some dimple died outer vertical pieces for a clean look under the truck.

Another sweet thing is, since this is a cross member and coil mount we will be able to remove the factory shock x-member!

Justin

Ok, sorry for the delay on this thread guys, but we have been swamped building and designing components for this rig and others. So, What we have are pics of the Upper coil bucket mount, The next pic is parts of the lower link frame mount, inner parts and outer frame mounting pieces. Materials are 3/16 and 1/8 HRP
Next the main components of the lower link frame mount/ removable x member/ belly pan mount! These were cut with a plasma table with the materials being mainly 3/16 and some 1/8 HRP.

So we will clean them up, and punch holes for mounting!!:popcorn:

Justin
FILE0002.jpg
FILE0006.jpg
FILE0003.jpg

So we started some construction and clean up of the front and rear face plates. these are 1/8 plate that we punched 3/4" holes in. Then we decided to dimple die them and cap the inside of the die with the 3/4 punch pieces. We wanted to do something a little different with these, so It should look awesome when we are all done with clean up and paint!

Justin
FILE0012.jpg

And some slight construction of the main lower piece, the vertical link mounts and the vertical outer side pieces. I will be poking some holes in the bottom, and welding in some 1/2 nuts for a flat belly pan mount! The bushings are 2" bushings with grade 8 5/8 bolts. We are using the bushings on the frame side instead of hems for a little cushion in the suspension. Having heims on the axle side will provide way more than enough misc alignment, for this expedition styled 4 link design.

We will be mostly Mig welding the inner structure in a "stitching" fashion to keep it cool and ease of tight areas. After she is completely finished we will TIG weld the outer areas, both "fusion" style and "fill". This will ensure a nice and tight structure with out warping!!

Justin
FILE0013.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom