problem bleeding the front brakes, any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bled the back brakes fine but when i tried to bleed the front brakes, nothing came out at all. What could be the problem? I put the wheels back on and started the motor and drove it a little way and the brakes work but they are spongey as if they have air in them.

Sounds like you need new soft lines, they tend to swell shut over time not letting the fluid flow. How old are the lines

my lines are all metal and they look like the original ones, 1994 model 1pz...

but the brakes work, thats what i cant understand

I bled the back brakes fine but when i tried to bleed the front brakes, nothing came out at all. What could be the problem? ...

Well the front is on a different circuit to the rear (for safety reasons). So I think it is likely there is still air trapped in that circuit preventing you from building up pressure there.

But first check you have the reservoir chamber for the front-circuit full of brake fluid of course. :D And also maybe make sure your front bleed nipples aren't blocked. (Perhaps remove them completely to check this? And to check whether any fluid dribbles out with the nipple removed?)

If those things fail to find/fix the problem -then perhaps try more innovative ways of getting the air out.- For instance I have resorted to using a big "vet syringe" to pump (reverse flush) clean fluid in from a wheel cylinder nipple and out at the master cylinder.

But I'm not familiar with your vehicle. (Mine is an older drums-all-round cruiser.)

...I put the wheels back on and started the motor and drove it a little way and the brakes work but they are spongey as if they have air in them.

Well - without having properly bled the front - I'm surprised you got brakes at all (without having to pump-up the brake pedal).

Clearly you need to get those bleeders working on the front.

Good luck!

You most likely let some air into the system. have a helper pump up the brakes, hold them to the floor and you release the front bleeder. retighten it before your helper relaxes the pedal. repeat untill nothing but liquid is expelled. If you have a bleeder that is plugged, it should not have let air in.. Do both front wheels and recheck your pedal feel.. all should be good now. If not do the rear as well.
I usually just let gravity do its thing and bleed each corner slowly, just make sure to keep a close eye on the master cylinder level. if it ever gets too low you need to start over again.
I have also bled the systems that had a plugged bleeder port, I just took the caliper off and loosened the brake line, of course I had it positioned so that the line was at the highest point of the wheel cylinder or caliper.

one trick is to jack up each corner higher than other when bleeding the brakes to prevent them from sucking in any air...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom