Powering my Fridge with Solar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I get asked about the capabilities of my solar set with my fridge.
Here are some real number
Fridge - Waeco CF-50
Solar - Siemens 55 Watt panel
Battery - 2 1/2 year old Basic POS Checker Auto

Sitting for 3 days without starting
Fridge set at 33°
Inside temp during day 90°-100°
Battery voltage 13.2 volts

I was going to wait for a week or more but the numbers say it all. The set-up will keep the Fridge at 33° without ever starting the vehicle until the battery dies of old age.

solarfridge1.JPG

solarfridge2.JPG

solarfridge3.JPG

So out of curiosity... it is "your" fridge or is it the :princess:'s fridge? :hmm: I assume it is in the :princess:'s rig

So out of curiosity... it is "your" fridge or is it the :princess:'s fridge? :hmm: I assume it is in the :princess:'s rig

Why would it matter? Seems like a dumb question but I will answer it for you:flipoff2:

As you know first hand when it come down to it the princess owns everything!

In my case I would have nothing without my princess
thumb.gif

Impressive Phil, Does this direct draw from the solar set up directly then an bypass the vehicle's battery?

Or does it run off the 100's battery and the solar replenishes it?

Impressive Phil, Does this direct draw from the solar set up directly then an bypass the vehicle's battery?

Or does it run off the 100's battery and the solar replenishes it?

#2 Solar panel > solar controller > vehicle battery > load / fridge

Panel output will vary with sun light.

Why would it matter? Seems like a dumb question but I will answer it for you:flipoff2:

I am not sure why you think it is a dumb question, we all know the sun is brighter when the :princess: is present as opposed to when you are which would have a direct impact on the performance of said solar system :grinpimp:

I am not sure why you think it is a dumb question, we all know the sun is brighter when the :princess: is present as opposed to when you are which would have a direct impact on the performance of said solar system :grinpimp:

Thanks for your well thought out input:rolleyes:

what/where did you scavenge the solar panel from?

what/where did you scavenge the solar panel from?

Purchased used from from a guy that did not understand it. Open circuit voltage is ~21volts and he thought it was not working correctly for a 12v system and could not return it:grinpimp:
Add a solar controller and walla;)

Nice set up Phil :clap:

Did you reposition the panel during the day?

Panel model or dimensions please.

So Phil, just out of curiosity:

55W max output at 21V = 2.6A

8 hours in sun at let's say average 80% efficiency (~2.1A) gives you 16.8Ah; 100% efficiency gives 20.8Ah

Numbers on the cooler website say 0.71Ah/h to keep box at 41F with outside temp at 90F, maybe you'll need 20% more for 33F box temp, so: 0.85Ah/h
For 24 hrs: 20.4Ah needed, so sounds like just about even

What does the controller do in the whole mix?

The controller regulates the voltage and output from the panel.

In the beginning I did the same efficiency calculations and knew it would be close. I decided to throw caution to the sun and go with a non scientific approach, real world results.:D

I have also done the same testing in Mexico where inside temp were ~140° and daytime ~100° with the same results, cold :beer: I do not have the numbers to support it only that the LC started after several days of sitting without hesitation.:cool:

It is my belief most specs given are average result. We are above average in Arizona when it come to solar performance.
Arizona receives more Solar insolation then most places.
Arizona provides longer usable daily insolation then most places.
I have been able to run my solar powered electric gate with a much smaller panel then recommended due to the above reasons for years.

Other variables I find hard to figure into efficiency of a set up-
Insulated fridge blanket
How full is the fridge
What type of stuff is in your fridge - water has a much better U factor then lettuce
How often and long is the fridge opened
Ambient temperatures
Restocking the fridge with warm items

So far the end resullts has been cold :beer:
thumb.gif

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures of your setup do you use it when you go camping?

nice thread. i use a siemens 90watt panel>charge controller>deep cycle and can verify that it will run indefinitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom