1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Steering

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by burrows, Mar 31, 2003.

1. burrows

burrows

I have a 40 and am now seriously considering power steering, i dont want to spend the money for the jto bolt in kit, so my question is:
    Is there anyone (shop or person) in north west washington area that can fab something up for a reasonable price?

thanks,
    burrows

2. wayne_fj40

wayne_fj40

where at in washington up in marysville go to randysoffroad.com he does a lot of steering and suspension work don't know what he charges thou hope this helps

3. burrows

burrows

Will i run into any issues with it fitting or clearance, i do have a small block in my rig? Also I've noticed that my headers come within an inch of my steering shaft, will this be a problem?

If anyone has any ps parts for sale (pump, gearbox, brackets,ect) let me know

thanks

4. 3_puppies

3_puppies SILVER Star

should be lots of write-ups in the tech section

5. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    I bought a PS gearbox from Woody out of a 84? mini truck, $50, a rebuilt Saginaw PS pump from O'Reilly's,$49.95, pulley through GM dealer $20, Brackets to mount pump and gearbox from Wdorry@yahoo. $170, but they're cool and very "factory" looking. Rag joint, about $25. Hoses made locally(metric for gearbox side and SAE for Sag pump). I'm going to tnstall a PS cooler to lengthen the life of pump and box, probably a pick-n-pull transmission cooler. So I'm guessing about $300-350 and a Saturday will get me there.
    It was either PS or go back to the weight bench. Tough choice.
    GL
    Ed Long :beer:

6. Design311

Design311

I bought my complete mini truck set up from a guy on Pirate4x4 for $75. It was off his 85 that he was swapping to high steer. The only thing I had to buy was JTOutfitters gearbox bracket for $95. So that puts me at $170. You should just put an add or two out at Pirate and other Toyota truck forums and see what you can come up with. The mini set up is a bolt-on deal so you should be able to handle it with no major fabricating. Good luck!

7. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    You may need to flip your alternator to the pass side if it is not already there. It makes things a lot less cluttered. &nbsp:Do you already have a two pulley harmonic balancer? &nbsp:Don't know what year '40 you have, so sorry for all the questions.
    The pump mount I got uses the motor mount bolts, NOT the head bolts, I like that.
    GL
    Ed

8. dingo

dingo