Power Steering Trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had to take a hard left turn in a parking lot, then immediately smelled what must be power steering atf. Seeing it under my left front wheel well. Power steering is now almost gone or entirely gone. Can anyone tell me exactly what I've done here?

28459918372_33968bd362_z.jpg

28459916972_9d348ee792_z.jpg

Blew a seal. I had a pump that did that once. At this point, it doesn't matter if you drive it dry. The pump is toast. Time to get a new one.

I think when the seal goes, it means its failed so needs to be replaced whether its dry or not. It equals a rebuild or a new one

Did it blow at the pump or the steering box?

If the pump didn't blow, then yeah, driving with no fluid in it will damage the pump. (I was assuming for some reason that the pump seal blew).

Just to finish this off for anyone who needs it later, turns out I blew the high pressure line on my power steering. Found an aftermarket one for about $120 on a Cruiser supply site. Don't even try to find an original Toyota part. They're all gone.

Literally drove it without power steering for a month, and when the new pressure line was put in, the pump still worked like a champ.

Somebody on another thread suggested that it would be way easier just to build a new hose instead of trying to use a part that approximates the original, but I'd already bought to part.

FYI, Napa has new high pressure hose for the fj60(not sure about a 62), it's about $40.

You can also have these made at a hydraulic shop or even places like Napa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom