Power Steering pump pulsing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just rebuilt my PS pump to stop a slow leak and try to save my smog pump. At idle I can feel a pulsing in the hose and when I turn the wheel it becomes a load knocking. Before the rebuild I had some of this sound but only when pushing against the stops. I've been through the bleeding process, fingers and pump. No foaming fluid. Do I: dig into the pump and see if the springs and o-rings seem OK, dig into my pocket and buy a new pump or hope for a magic solution from you all. Any advice?

If you can afford the down time, tear it open and see if anything can be fixed.
Then try again.
If still no-go, then buy a new one.

Or if you don't have much faith that you'll be able to fix it, or can't afford the down time, just get a new one and be done with it.

Although I've never attempted a repair, from what I've read, the end result of an attempted rebuild often leaves much to be desired.

Thank you.

So, I've been driving the rebuild for 8 months with clicking anytime I put pressure on the steering. (No leaks from the pump) I figured it would work it self out or get worse. Yup, just mechanical enough to cause trouble. The sound has remained the same, but it is now leaking somewhere around the box. No luck figuring out where. Any ideas?

I think I'm leaking close to where the steering column goes into the box. Sound plausible?

Just found an old thread. I think the plan is to delay and then rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom