Power Steering line options... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GMSilk_Fj60

SILVER Star
Threads
So despite my better judgement I replaced the high pressure line (out of convenience) and the power steering pump in my 1994 FZJ80. Turns out the low pressure line should have been replaced as well. Live and learn... I just really didn't want to have to take the radiator out and all. Anyway, I have been searching and can't seem to find any distributors for this part. Anyone have any ideas on where I can get a better price than from the dealership?

And 5/8" for the larger one from the reservoir down to the pump. John

http://www.phhkit.com/other-kits---merchandise.html

Do you just need the rubber hose or are you looking for the "paper clip" metal pipe too? I just replaced both the high pressure and low pressure lines on my truck last week. Pulling the radiator isn't that bad of a job. If you end up having to pull the radiator, consider getting new hoses while you have it apart.

You can replace that little paperclip cooler with just about any cooler you find at a junkyard. Jeep grand Cherokees have a pretty decent factory cooler, you might look into that as it would be a cheap upgrade.

Are you sure that is advisable? I thought that if you used non-OEM parts that the earth would immediately fall off its axis and I'm most certain this would occur by adding Jeep parts to your LC. I added one Discovery cup holder and gained two oil leaks and an electrical problem.

Gates. O'Reillys. By the foot. 3/8"

X2 for the low pressure line. It takes some magic, but you can change this line without much disassembly.

I have done a couple dozen of these. MUCH easier, and quicker if you start by pulling the battery box. Don't need to bother the radiator, unless you want to pull the paper lip cooler. John

Really no need to pull the radiator, even you replace the cooler. As long as you can work tools with both hands. Also, for your low pressure lines, you don't really need the metal elbows. Myself, and many other, just ran all soft lines.

Another added benefit of replacing the cooler with a barbed aftermarket unit is the ability to flush the system without getting fluid all over the engine bay.

HA! I was just talking about adding a different cooler to the power steering system since I have Hydro assist and when it heats up funky things happen. I had a local shop make my hydro lines and also bought all the hose and fittings needed to make all new high and low pressure lines with AN fittings. I'm sure you could find a similar local source by googling custom hydraulic lines and your area. Cost me less than any one toyota hose to have everything made. I am going to add a cooler from a left over project...it is factory for a 92 Infiniti Q45 with all the trimmings. It has its own mini electric fan and shroud, had a inline filter too, but lost that somewhere. I will have the hydraulic place TIG AN fittings to it and have threaded lines to and from everything to prevent leaks.
Sorry for the thread Jack. But find a hydraulic shop man.

how much does the 3 OEM lines really cost from CDan? The aftermarket "kit" shown is $38. I cant see the OEM really costing much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom