Power Steering Conversion - Belt ( ? ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm doing power steering conversion using Saginaw components.

I need to get the power steering pump belt, but can't find the specs for it (width and length).
I've been reading the forum and seen that many just grabbed few from the store and then return the ones not needed. Many stores here do not stock big variety of the belts and need to order them in. NAPA only accepts by application. Returns are subject of 20% restocking fee.

I wouldn't mind to grab 2-3 and then return 1-2, even with such restocking, but with 1/2" increments, do not want to get 10 belts and return most of them.

What specs or even application should I look for???

Are you running the pump with your air pump also installed, or have you taken the air pump off? Is your pump running with a modified pulley?

Find an old, long belt (from your lawn mower, even) and cut it and wrap it around the pulleys. Mark the ends where it overlaps and measure the length. If it's 32", then get a 31, 32, and 33" belt and try them all. (OK, in Canada, use centimeters!). Many belt codes have the length built into the code - so a '25034' is a 34" long belt - at least in the US. Most of the guys at Autozone, etc. know this and can help you figure it out.

I have '74 with '79 2F. The engine does not have any air pumps. Looks like all that stuff was removed by PO when he did a swap.

Autozone does not exist in Canada. We have Canadian Tire Auto Parts as an alternative, but their stuff has so big rotation, do the only thing they know is how to press buttons on the computer. There are specific shops, but their pricing is high and as they work on order basis, timing is generally 2+ weeks.

:(

That's why I need some info to start working with.
What others been using while doing their conversion?

Here's mine:)17445 which I believe means it is 44.5" long
DSCN1138.jpg

John Smith said:
Are you running a "wdorry" bracket, the kind that mounts to the head bolts, or a homemade deal?

I have 4+ bracket from Dave, it's 2 head bolt mount.

SAWTOOTH 55 LC said:
Here's mine:)17445 which I believe means it is 44.5" long

Yours seems to mount lower, but thank you for sharing. Very good starting point as this is exactly what I look for: spec and application, especially pictorial.

Bump...

Anyone running top (head) mount for Saginaw pump?

Bump...

Anyone running top (head) mount for Saginaw pump?

Call the guys at Iron Pig Offroad. They sell the one that mounts to the head bolts and should know a belt number. I have a wdorry and am pretty sure it uses a different belt length.

Just get some string and measure it... any decent auto parts store will have a measuring thing for belts that will spit out a part number... Tie the string the length you need and then take it in to the store. You also need to know the width of the belt that you want (So take your old belt pre-power steering with you as well)

When I worked at an auto parts store we had something like this:

2018067.jpg

If napa can't help you you can try a bensons or something. Drive your truck there and they'll probably let you try it in the parking lot before buying... Helps if you can befriend a parts guy :hillbilly:. Also most napa's are owned by different owners so you could try a few different ones if one of them is no help!

True for stores which have big variety of the parts. Unfortunately most of the stores locally are only 200 sq.ft, so they are not storing parts and work out per catalogues.

Does someone have diagram of proper belt order through the pulley?
I have one which shows one belt loop going from engine pulley to the LHS alternator, then fan and back to engine; while the second belt loop directly connects engine to the PS. I don't think it's the right way as it looks like engine (double belt pulley) stays too far forward for PS.

The string method hasn't ever gotten me close, used belt cut marked, works everytime.

arndog

The string method hasn't ever gotten me close, used belt cut marked, works everytime.

I used zip-ties instead of a string. That worked.

Once you get an accurate measurement I would recommend Gates Green Stripe Belts. When I initially completed my saginaw conversion I was running the pump up high with the wdorry set up and I used a 58.9" Gates belt.

I used a rope about the same width as the belt. Marked the adjusted in and adjusted out with a sharpie. Bought 2 Gates Green Stripe to verify fit. Returned the one that was too long for a second (back-up) of the one that fit.

Meanwhile another question.
What fluid should be used in Saginaw Power Steering?

Installed the system this afternoon, actually, finished installation.

For my top (head bolts) pump mount and running the belt from the engine bottom pulley to the pump, I have used 50" industrial belt 1/2" wide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom