Power seat won't move!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The passenger's side power seat won't move. I presume it's the plastic gear that moves the seat back and forth that's stripped. I've ordered the replacement gears that should fix the problem.
However in the meantime the seat is all the way forward and it makes it uncomfortable for whoever is sitting in that seat.
Is there a way I can manually move the seat back ??

Make sure you're not missing the white plugs that secure the gears. They fell off on my car when I moved the front seats all the way forward. Do a search and you will see what I'm talking about. I forgot the name of the member but he was making and selling replacements if you lost yours, they are only a few bucks and a whole lot cheaper than buying replacement gears. Hope this helps.

I know what the problem is and like I mentioned, I ordered the gears and white caps. But while I'm waiting for the parts to arrive I need to move the seat back somehow. Anyone have any ideas?

probably not your problem, but just in case others have similar problem. When I first got my lexus the car detailing place moved my seat all the way forward and it wouldn't go back. fought it for a long time. just did nothing when i moved the lever to move the seat back. Finally I happened to raise the seat and it would then go back with no problem. Never had another moments problem with it since.

Again, does anyone know how I can manually move my broken power seats back???!!

You can manually move it back. other members have talked about doing it. I am having a problem with my passengers seat as well. So, hopefully someone with knowledge of how to manually move the seat back will chime in and tell

IIRC to move the seat you must secure the gears which is what the white cap does. Grab something about the same diameter and jam in in the hole where the cap goes, which will act like the cap does. If that doesn't work I think your SOL until the new parts come.

I know I've read (but cant recall who said it or what thread) that a member on here removed the seat and manually moved the seat back on the track.

Yes there is a way to move the seats manually. There are two screws that you need to turn using a socket wrench. IIRC the bolt is 12mm. The two screws are located at the front of the seat behind the protective panel. The two screws basically hold the screw rod to the seat motor. Turn one screw a couple turns then do the same on the other screw. Otherwise, the seat will jam to one side.

Yes there is a way to move the seats manually. There are two screws that you need to turn using a socket wrench. IIRC the bolt is 12mm. The two screws are located at the front of the seat behind the protective panel. The two screws basically hold the screw rod to the seat motor. Turn one screw a couple turns then do the same on the other screw. Otherwise, the seat will jam to one side.

Thanks.
I'll try that.....

I couldn't get the protective panel off from the front of the seat without removing the seat. But I figured out an alternate method of getting the seat moved back. I took a pair of vice grips and used it to turn the two seat adjuster shafts. A few turns on one side then a few turns on the other and so on. If you're looking towards the rear of the vehicle rotate the shafts clockwise.
Now there's plenty of room for whoever sits in the passenger seat....

the shafts your talking about, are those the same thing adalnay is talking about (just inside that protective panel on the front of the seat)? If so, did turning those move the seat or did they allow you to push the seat back or use the motor or what?

If the gears are stripped you will need to turn the shafts manually. Taking off the cover requires loosening the cushion to access the screws. If you unbolt the seat and tilt it back, you can turn the shafts with pliers or vice grips. Make sure to keep the two sides close to even so they don't bind.

I just reached my hands underneath the seats with vicegrips and manually turned the shafts. By turning the shafts the seats moved. Do one side a few turns the do the other side. Keep alternating a bit on each side until the seat is moved to the desired position.

Cool, thanks for the thread.

Last edited:
Probably could have used the white cap from the drivers seat to get it moved back.

Much easier to just remove the seat so you can see what you are working on. It's only 4 bolts.

i thought it was 2 upfront (behind safety panel). here's whats going on with my seat, any insight would be great...

the passenger's seat does move up and down normal, but when moving forward and backwards only for a very short movement does it move normal then it only moves on the outside like its jammed on the inside track.
The white cap is there
I've taken the seat out numerous times and cleaned the track, nothing more than some PO dog fur has ever come out of there (and not that much of that).

Any ideas/tips?
I don't want to take it to the stealership or another shop and get charged am arm and a leg for this. But I would love a fixed passenger seat!

Sounds like the plastic gears are stripped. Your seats are doing the exact same things my seats are doing. The up and down and recline work but the forward/aft doesn't want to go.
Have a look at this:

http://www.gamiviti.com/images/cap_gear_installation.pdf

I'm going use this article as a reference when the parts (plastic gears and white caps) I ordered arrive and I can properly fix my seats.

did you find the member on here who makes those? gears and caps... does yours move normal on one side but not both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom