Power Antenna Mast Replacement 97 fjz-80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a "how to" on replacing the OEM power mast on a 97 LC. I can't find the FAQ and the Comcast link I found is broken.

I'm thinking this is a pretty common surgery. Anyone, have the recipe for me!

thanks,

jared

:popcorn:

I'm looking for a "how to" on replacing the OEM power mast on a 97 LC. I can't find the FAQ and the Comcast link I found is broken.

I'm thinking this is a pretty common surgery. Anyone, have the recipe for me!

thanks,

jared

:popcorn:

Post ON the front page. Right below this one. lol. Has a how to.

Just did this myself last week after a tree branch had it's way with mine. Done it about 5 times now.

The only tricky part is removing the funky nut that holds the mast in. I used two small screwdrivers and some pliers to turn it until I could turn it by hand.

g'luck, Dan.

Did it once. Definitely will be my last time. What a pain in the behind.

That link in the other thread is how to remove the motor assembly from the car and do it that way.

Completely unnecessary if you're just replacing the mast part that protrudes above the fender.

If just the mast needs replacing, like a tree branch snagged and bent it :bang: , then you just have to loosen the chrome garnish/nut on top of the fender (the one with 4 small slots in it) and run the antenna out manually.

Then the mast unscrews from the cable with a very small nut - actually the mast is threaded and the nut is a locknut. Hold the locknut and twist the antenna mast to unscrew it.

Replace it, put some lube on the cable and very carefully reel the antenna in manually. I've never had to replace the cable, I can imagine it would be a PITA.

g'luck, Dan.

Replace it, put some lube on the cable and very carefully reel the antenna in manually.
g'luck, Dan.

How do you reel it in manually?
:cool:

Antenna won't go all the way down!

I followed the easy directions on replacing the mast. I pulled the cable and mast out and it looks the same as the replacement (OEM) so I figure nothing broke off inside. I threaded the cable back in until I felt resistance, slid the mast in and retracted the cable with button on the console. (actually my 4 year old did)

PROBLEM: The mast won't go down all the way. It's about a foot up when retracted all the way. I have raised and lowered the mast with the console buttons 10 or so times and removed and replaced the cable and mast but it still won't retract completely.

Any advice???

Jared

I followed the easy directions on replacing the mast. I pulled the cable and mast out and it looks the same as the replacement (OEM) so I figure nothing broke off inside. I threaded the cable back in until I felt resistance, slid the mast in and retracted the cable with button on the console. (actually my 4 year old did)

PROBLEM: The mast won't go down all the way. It's about a foot up when retracted all the way. I have raised and lowered the mast with the console buttons 10 or so times and removed and replaced the cable and mast but it still won't retract completely.

Any advice???

Jared

Are you sure the entire old plastic cable was removed? If it won't go all the way down, you might have to take it apart to see if there is still a chunk stuck in there.

I'm not sure why, but once I got my new mast seated in the gears, I couldn't remove it. Luckily it was seated at the proper position, so I didn't have to force it out.

It's also not a bad idea to pull it apart so you can clean it out and add some new lithium grease. It's only a :banana: job if you ask me, just a little awkward.

This newbie would certainly like a word or two of advice on what to do with the radio mast on my newly acquired 1997 Lexus LX450. Turn the radio on and the mast comes up about 4 inches and there is stops. Turn the radio off and down it comes. The motor seems to be working, but if the mast is jammed somehow, it will pretty quickly burn out the motor. Any suggestions on how to fix this the easy way. I am all about easy :)

easy way = pay the dealer (out the nose) to fix it.

proper way = pull out the motor/mast assembly yourself and see what the problem is, and fix it yourself. its not hard. its actually easy, if you're somewhat competent with a wrench and the search function on this fine site. if not, then seek the easy way mentioned in the first sentence of my post.

usually the mast cable tself is busted. its just a geared cable that pushes the mast up & down. are you able to use the up/down buttons? maybe try pulling the antenna up while someone hits the up button?

If you are not obsessive compulsive, you don't even have to remove the remnants of the old gear cable. There is plenty of room in there for the new one and the remains. Takes about 5 minutes total to change the mast.

everyone always mentions how easy it is to remove the antenna. it is easy if you don't plan on walking very far from the vehicle. removing/feeding the coax sucks.

replacing the or the mast is very easy if you have the later 95-97 geared mast like everyone is discussing here, a little bit more time consuming if you have the earlier smooth cable because, if the cable is broken, you have to tear into the cable housing and spool the new cable on. both are something you can easily do.

On my '97, most of the geared plastic part remained in my motor housing. I was able to remove the motor enough to place it on the inner fender and remove the side cover. It's easier if you remove the mounting bracket before fishing it out the access hole. Don't forget about the tiny nut on the back of the center cover bolt. It will fall out never to be found!

I've got what sounds like a functioning motor and a broken mast. In my limited research it seems like there was a change around 8/96 in terms of parts and interchangability. I haven't yet looked in the motor to see if I have a broken cable, but the antenna itself comes right out of the top with no cable.

Does anyone know the difference between pre 8/96 and post 8/96?

well the big difference is this, the 97's and i imagine the late 96's (not mine unfortunately) have the antenna masts with a white filler cord that has teeth on it that will grab into the motor and that is now it is pulled or pushed up and down. the pre 97's have a system where the metal antenna mast is screwed onto the white plastic pull cord, and that cord is physically attached to the motor assembly, and requires you to disassemble the whole motor in order to install a new white cord.

i gave it a whirl, and managed to brake some bits with in the motor assembly while trying to "fix" the white antenna cord, i yelled for a bit, and then just reassembled it and now listen to my ipod and sirius satellite radio :) however the raido does still work, however not all that well.

cliff notes :
>97's antenna mast = a 10 year old could replace the mast,
<96's huge pain in the arse, totally doable once you get in there and understand how the thing works, but still a tight place to mess around with springs and such.

I must be overlooking it in the FAQ thread...does anyone have a link to a thread with pictures/instructions on removal of the factory power antenna setup? (I'm installing an all in one antenna).

I tried to replace mine. Would not cooperate so I just put a fixed universal black antenna on it. Works great! Only downside is I have two buttons on my dash that dont do anything and I have to unscrew it before driving through a car wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom