Power Antenna Control Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
rob.red
So you installed an aftermarket headunit / amplifier in your rig and now the power antenna goes up when you simply turn on the system to listen to your iPod or CD - right? OR maybe your aftermarket head unit doesn't have a control mode for the power antenna. Here is an easy fix to get control back.

Problem: Most aftermarket head units have a single trigger lead for amplifier turn on and antenna trigger. Thusly when you activate your deck the trigger wire signals the amplifier to turn on which also triggers the power antenna relay.

Fix: Add an override switch to the antenna relay. This gives you full manual control of antenna deployment.

What you'll need:

- A few feet of 18ga stranded wire
- A rocker switch from Radio Shack
- A few misc wire lug connectors and crimps (depends on your original install)
- Cordless drill and drill bit sized for your rocker switch
- Misc trim removal tools, philips screwdriver, wire stripper and crimper.

Install: In this install I'm using Lexi4Darins LX470. First thing you may notice is that Darin has done a "three dial conversion" to his Lexus. Looks sweet.

The head unit installed is a Pioneer AVIC120BT which as I described above has a single trigger wire for antenna and amp. We are simply interrupting the trigger wire from the Pioneer with a switch, after the amplifier connection is made.

1. Remove center stack bezel around the radio. There are 4 multi pin connectors to the HVAC controls, unplug them and set bezel aside.

2. Unscrew (4x) the head unit from the mounting in the dash. Pull the radio out and unplug all of the harnesses and connectors from the rear of the radio. Set the radio aside.

3. You'll need to loosen the lower center console bezel (shifter and xfer surround) for this next part. We chose to remove it. Remove the ash tray and set aside. Remove the trim panel surrounding the ash tray. You'll need to un plug the power and lighting connectors from the 12v outlets and ash tray illumination. Set aside the the trim.

4. In our case the Pioneer trigger wire is blue... locate yours and trace it from the radio harness plug to the point where you have a connection to the amplifier and antenna. In our case we had a nylon crimp cap tying the amp and antenna relay wires to the blue trigger wire with a vampire tap on the Lexus end to the factory harness.

5. Now it's time to wire. You'll need to intercept the trigger wire after the amplifier connection but before the antenna connection (see diagram). In our install I crimped our head unit blue trigger wire to the amplifier turn on and a new piece of 18ga wire about 12" inches long. Then take another 12" pice of wire and crimp a connector on one end to plug into the vampire tap at the Lexus wire harness. You should now have two 12" long wires to feed to the 12v outlet areas. Feed these two wires down, inside, the dash to where the two 12v out lets live.

Antenna.jpg

6. Pick up your ash tray/12v outlet trim panel and locate a suitable position between the 12v outlets to drill a hole for your rocker switch. DRILL BABY DRILL. De-bur the hole you made if necessary and mount your rocker switch. I prefer the up is on orientation for the switch.

You might have noticed I installed 2 switches in Darin's dash. The bottom switch is an illumination interrupt for the Pioneer. That will be a different post. :)

IMG_0397.jpg

7. Crimp a lug (or other suitable type) connector to each of your wires and attach them to your switch terminals.

IMG_0394.jpg

8. Get your radio and plug in all of the connectors you previously removed and slide back into the dash.

9. Put your newly installed switch in the "Off" position. Get your key out and turn to Accessory postion. Turn on the radio. Antenna should not rise. If it does flip your new switch to the other position. The antenna should retract. If it doesn't then you need to retrace your steps. If it does retract you have your switch mounted upside down…. or maybe you like that orientation. :)

10. Replace you lower ash tray trim being mindful to reconnect previously disco'd wires. Reseat or remount your lower center console bezel. Remount the radio and return the center stack bezel to it's original state and position.
Antenna.jpg
IMG_0397.jpg
IMG_0394.jpg

Last edited:
Nice install but could you not utilize the stock switch?

Gottagetone - there is no stock switch to disable power antenna in 100's, just the raise and lower ant control.

Disabling of antenna is built into the wiring and electronics of the radio in the LC/LX. For a 2000 LX the OEM radio disables the ant by a built in circuit which has a pwr trigger for device

*Note: after market radio may not have two triggers to allow each device to power on separately. Pioneer unit I use has single trigger for pwr

Last edited:
My antenna is powerless after my Pioneer DEH2300 install, I used the harness which utilizes the stock amp. Which wire from the head unit harness connects to the antenna power, couldn't figure it out.

My antenna is powerless after my Pioneer DEH2300 install, I used the harness which utilizes the stock amp. Which wire from the head unit harness connects to the antenna power, couldn't figure it out.

Cruizin - that's exactly why you need to follow this thread and RobRed's procedure and his follow up post. After you identify the correct wire (blue), print out this procedure.

You're in the same boat as me with the single power trigger coming out of your unit. You'll run a splitter off the power trigger from the radio to both the ant and amp.

Red's write up, a job well done btw, explains how to interrupt the circuit after the splitter, leading to the ant. With the ant interrupt, you can open/close the circuit to the ant while the amp circuit stays "pwr on" the whole time.

Ingenious.

Let me rephrase my question, could you not run your wiring to the raise lower switch rather than adding an aftermarket switch?

You could certainly rewire the factory switch operation but then you have the inconvenience of having to raise and lower the antenna manually. This setup toggles the antenna up to your set position and fully retracted, essentially mimicking the factory operation with manual control.

This install took about 15 minutes BTW

This is great, I need to do this. So if I get this right, you essentially use the stock up/down switch to set the height, but it only works if your new switch is on? When you leave the new switch off, does the antenna stay down all the time? Or does it stay wherever you last left it? Can you still operate the stock switch up/down with the new switch off?

You'll need to intercept the trigger wire after the amplifier connection but before the antenna connection
was that pretty obvious? I haven't dug into this yet, so not sure what to expect. great write-up though, I like that switch location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom