Potential purchase - looking for input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all - BRAND new to the forum, been creeping on it for awhile now. Long story short - I'm looking at purchasing my first 40 and would love some feedback based on some info and pictures (which I could email or post here - not sure what the etiquette is). I understand this method leaves a lot to be desired but think it's better than nothing. Rig in question is a 76 - originally from CO, in NY now, about 80k on the body and 2k on a rebuilt f2 (done two years ago). Seems really solid, fires on the first crank. Garaged most of its life but has sat outside the last two years. Pretty excited at the prospect but nervous at the same time - I'm fairly conservative by nature. I looked at a 40 when I was 15 years old and ended up not purchasing (I'm 30 now) - hindsight is 20/20 but I should have bought that with my father for my first car / project car - I don't want to let another get away.

I appreciate any and all input!

Find a local cruiser-head to look at it with you. If it is in good shape, or a shape that you are willing to improve, go for it !
Cruisers are getting harder to find each year.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
How much are they asking?

Pictures or link?
Asking $10k - body is solid - slight surface rust in a handful of spots - here are a couple pics

Given the fact they are harder to find all the time, I'd be all over that for the price. It looks pretty solid from the pictures, if you could find someone familiar with 40's to give it a once over that would be beneficial, just be sure not to let them buy it first ;)

It's a 40 year old truck so there will be stuff wrong with it. But I'd buy it at that price. In a minute.
The one thing I'd look for is rust repair and how well it was done. With 80k miles in NY or VT, it had rust at some point.

$10,000 plus your first born, or what?

That truck has been outside for two years in BUFFALO, NY? One of the most miserable winter sites east of Detroit?

The truck is easily worth what you said and the seller is nuts not to be asking at least half again as much. If you've been looking you already know this and have to come here to ask for advice?

Out with the truth, OK, before you go and get yourself branded in I8Mud.

It's a 40 year old truck so there will be stuff wrong with it. But I'd buy it at that price. In a minute.
The one thing I'd look for is rust repair and how well it was done. With 80k miles in NY or VT, it had rust at some point.
Thanks for the replies so far everyone - it's actually all original body, no bondo or patchwork - it spent most of its life in CO garaged, and it's time in NY/VT has been garaged - minus the last two years.

Also comes with a bikini top, soft top and soft doors, the original seats (need to be reupholstered), a bunch of spare parts from the engine rebuild, original owners manual etc

Is it my imagination, or are the rear wheelwells missing their lips? That would be a telltale sign of a patch job.

Get a magnet.

Mark

$10,000 plus your first born, or what?

That truck has been outside for two years in BUFFALO, NY? One of the most miserable winter sites east of Detroit?

The truck is easily worth what you said and the seller is nuts not to be asking at least half again as much. If you've been looking you already know this and have to come here to ask for advice?

Out with the truth, OK, before you go and get yourself branded in I8Mud.
As I mentioned im conservative by nature - that's really all there is too it - I've got two young kids, 3 and 6 mos., so free time is a premium as is excess cash - if I pull the trigger on something like this, I want it to be something that stays in the family for the next 40 years - with two boys, I like the idea of having this be a fun thing for them to grow up around, tinker with etc.

Inside I know it's a good price, just looking for validation from people who know what they're talking about I guess...

It's missing the red reflectors on the rear lower corners - so at a minimum that has been patched. Check the quality of the repairs but at $10k I doubt you could do wrong. That's a steal especially with all the soft top parts. I just bought my FJ40 and feel that this is more of a high teens to low 20s truck compared to what I saw and bought. Buy it before someone else finds it and beats you to it.

Is it my imagination, or are the rear wheelwells missing their lips? That would be a telltale sign of a patch job.

Get a magnet.

Mark

Good catch. Definitely looks like cheap patch panels were used.

Great thanks for the eyes! That's the kind of feedback I knew I could get from here that my novice eyes wouldn't catch - should have brought a magnet with me yesterday.

looks like good cruiser for the price! Not sure how the possible repairs impact it but either way 10k is a good deal.

There are 100 guys here who would buy that in a minute, cheap repairs or not.
And now everyone on MUD knows about it.
You're not going to find better for $10k. If you want a nice 40, get in your car and go get it before someone else does.

He is correct! Let me know if you decide to bail on this:grinpimp:

I will! But the more replies that are rolling in the more comfortable I am - I think I will be a 40 owner in the not too distant future...If anything else about this rig sticks out, please let me know! Again, really appreciate the input thus far - you guys are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom