Post your 80 series custom audio setup! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm always on ih8mud late at night when not many others are on, so I don't know how much attention this is going to get but I think it'd be cool to make a thread where 80 series owners could share their upgraded audio system, so I'm making it! Here is the information you need to include:

Head Unit:
Front Door Speakers:
Dash Speakers:
Rear Door Speakers:
Subwoofer (If you have one):
Cargo area speakers:
Other equipment or info:

Pictures:

Please be as descriptive as possible :)
"This thread is useless without pictures"

Last edited:
Believe someone started a similar thread a long time ago. Found it while searching for info when I did my install recently.

Interested in this as I've always been an avid I.C.E. guy. PO installed speakers and a head unit in my 80 but I'll be redoing that when time permits. I want an all around audio experience to enjoy highway cruises and come up with a way to have some good sound out of the back for those group camp outs.

Headunit: Alpine
Front speakers: Focal ES 165 K2
Rear speakers: Focal 165 AC
Amp: JL Audio HD900/5
Sub: JL Audio 10W3

Front Doors
door-jpg.589849

slider-jpg.592256

Rears
better-jpg.589233

Sub
box-jpg.589234

box-jpg.590025

Head Unit: Pioneer FHX820BS $133.79
Front Door Speakers: Pioneer TS-A1674R $35
Dash Speakers: PowerBass S-275CH $26.99
Rear Door Speakers: Pioneer TS-G1043R $35.89
Subwoofer (If you have one): Pyle PLPW6D in factory rear mount $21.65 and Sound Ordnance B-8P Bandpass Box behind third row $99.99
Cargo area speakers: Pyramid 328GS $9.88

AMP -
Factory, did not add an AMP

Other equipment or info:
All self installed total cost under $400. This is not my daily driver but factory speakers were destroyed and I missed blue tooth for streaming and also missed some bass. I think the dash and cargo area speakers don't really add anything, but I replaced because it was cheap and fun to do. Putting a speaker where the factory subwoofer goes was pointless, barely generated any sound with factory amp, so I later added the inexpensive Bandpass box. This is not a high end or audiophile installation at all, just posting to show a fairly low cost way to replace everything, add a sub, and get decent sound - it's not bad.

headunit - JVC KD-X80BT (digital media receiver)
** unplugged stock amp **
harness - Metra 70-1761
front speakers - Pioneer TS-G1643R - Mud standard for oem look
rear door speakers - Pioneer TS-G1043R
amplifier - MBQUART NA180.2 (mounted under DS)
subwoofer - kicker compvt 6.5 4 ohms + custom box

bF

Install threads

A little b-day bling for my Crewzer
Another door speaker install (6.5's all around)

Head Unit: Sony XAV 712HD (replaced old Sony XAV-W1)
Front Door Speakers: Pioneer TS-G1643R
Dash Speakers: Stock
Rear Door Speakers: Pioneer TS-G1643R
Subs: Pair of KEF KAR 250B 10 inch subs in a prefabbed down fire enclosure made for a Honda Ridgeline
Rear Roof speakers: Stock

Other equipment:
Rockford Fosgate P300x1 sub amp hidden in the right rear quarter panel
9" drop down LCD screens
Multi-Camera DVR surveillance system runs 24/7
World's loudest car alarm to protect it all

Sounds great. It's a little hard to tell in the photo but the box does have a back on it. It's not free air.

I must say that the way you are enclosing your subwoofer is genius. Looks like you made it yourself too! How does the subwoofer sound back there on the right?

Kenwood DDX 372 BT
Pioneer cheapies front/rear doors
That's all
Sounds better than stock ever did but sounds far from loud/crisp/clear/bassy.
Need to add some tweeters, amp and sub but far down the list of things to do.

Guess I will play. Nothing to crazy but sounds good.
Alpine 143bt deck
Pioneer 6" speakers in the front doors.
Pioneer 5" (I think) in the rear doors.
Alpine PDX-M6 amp in the stock sub location (rear quarter panel)
JL W7 8" (left in a removable box)

Can you tell if changing out your dash speakers made an improvement in sound?

I have been considering doing components up front bc the driver side door speaker is covered up in part by the dash....but I will probably just do the Pioneers that you have linked and save some coin.

Can you tell if changing out your dash speakers made an improvement in sound?

I have been considering doing components up front bc the driver side door speaker is covered up in part by the dash....but I will probably just do the Pioneers that you have linked and save some coin.

I replaced all six speakers at once so honestly don't know how much of an improvement just the dash speakers made. I wish I had replaced dash only to see. Sorry.

Fyi the pioneers can fit in the dash without modifications.

It does sound pretty great! I would go with a 12 next time I think though, there is a lot of internal volume in an 80 when you take the 2nd and 3rd rows out.

Bad Ass!! Looks like an expensive setup, specially if you didn't do the custom pods/box yourself. I bet it sounds deadly though!

Shallow mount Hertz 6.5 speakers in front doors, 4 inch Hertz in rear doors, 3.5 kickers in the back. Shallow woofer system 6.5 in factory sub location, 2 compact amps - 1 in factory location, 1 under front driver seat, and self powered 8 inch Kenwood sub behind center console. Head unit is Sony XAV 712 HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom