Post up what you pedal (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20150215-100137.jpg

20140508-085717.jpg

20140508-085657.jpg

My 2014 Yeti SB-66 and 2005 Yeti DJ.

My wife's Yeti DJ built up as an XC bike.

dig that 66! how do you like it?

Didn't even realize this forum has a Cycling Section. Here's my new (last fall) Salsa El Mariachi. Steel is Real! I had never tried MTB and I have to say, I really love this bike. It has a way softer ride than I was expecting for a hardtail. I'm still a total amateur, but I've ridden a couple of my friends softails and I actually feel more in-control on this bike. The soft tails feel a little too "loose" in my untrained opinion. Really happy I decided on a hardtail to get into the sport.

Can't wait for winter to finally break so I can get back out on the trails. It's a mudbath right now. Hoping to be clipless by the end of the summer.

IMG_2438.JPG

Last edited:
Niner wfo and a surly ecr.

hoops 001.jpg
hoops 002.jpg
hoops 002.jpg
hoops 001.jpg
hoops 002.jpg
hoops 003.jpg
hoops 001.jpg
hoops 002.jpg
hoops 003.jpg
Some new wheels...... NOX hoops and I9 hubs/spokes.

NOX is out of Knoxville TN, Industry 9 out of Asheville NC.

So with these wide hoops I'm running about 18 to 20 pounds (still trying to find the sweet spot) with great traction, no burps, no rolls. So far so good.

I like it a lot. The long top tube, the slack geometry. Its a bit much for my everyday trails but as an all around do everything bike, its perfect. I took it to CO and Moab last year and it was incredible.

I really want to try out the new infinity Yeti sometime. Local bike shop is saying they do not expect to have any demo's in the near future though.

Suhweeet bikes.

@RWBeringer4x4 - Yes Steel IS Real!!! Love my old On-One Inbred 29er hardtail, thing just like to go and go forever, not fast but just a fun ride. I ended building a Full Suspension 29er last summer because I have started doing longer and longer rides that involve some pretty rocky terrain and after about 10miles the HT seems to destroy my back no matter what (I am not a standing pedal masher).

For advice on going clipless.... start with shimano's they are cheap and easy to learn (and really prevelant on ebay). They have a tensioning mechanism in the clips so you can set them super loose so you can pull out easily. As you get more confident then you can turn up the tension to keep you strapped in. The other thing is realize that you will fall while trying to clip out, it is just an inevitable. Go to an open grassy area and practice there, it will give you a soft(ish) something to fall on and 90% of your falls will be trying to clip out while barely moving. Everyone does it and have laughed at themselves so just give it a go.

@RWBeringer4x4 - Yes Steel IS Real!!! Love my old On-One Inbred 29er hardtail, thing just like to go and go forever, not fast but just a fun ride. I ended building a Full Suspension 29er last summer because I have started doing longer and longer rides that involve some pretty rocky terrain and after about 10miles the HT seems to destroy my back no matter what (I am not a standing pedal masher).

For advice on going clipless.... start with shimano's they are cheap and easy to learn (and really prevelant on ebay). They have a tensioning mechanism in the clips so you can set them super loose so you can pull out easily. As you get more confident then you can turn up the tension to keep you strapped in. The other thing is realize that you will fall while trying to clip out, it is just an inevitable. Go to an open grassy area and practice there, it will give you a soft(ish) something to fall on and 90% of your falls will be trying to clip out while barely moving. Everyone does it and have laughed at themselves so just give it a go.

Love the steel frame - it might be a placebo - but I feel like the added "flex" in steel vs. comparatively rigid aluminum makes for a little softer ride. Full suspension is awesome, but the trails around here are mostly light rocks/roots/mud, and my mileage, right now, is generally 5-8mi after work (depending on the trail). So far, I haven't found the hardtail to be all that uncomfortable.

As for clipless - This is pretty much the exact advice I've gotten from my local riding buddies - from buying Shimanos (hopefully soon, but I just bought a house so "fun money" is a little tight right now!) and riding around in the back yard to get the most embarrassing falls out of the way. Really, my main concern isn't falling at low speed - which, as you mentioned, is inevitable. It's those high speed moments where you save yourself by kicking out to bounce of a bank or tree. Maybe that doesn't happen, with experience, but right now, sticking a leg out has saved me from some high speed spills a couple times! In either case, I have clipless shoes now, so once the finances recover, the pedals are next.

Love the steel frame - it might be a placebo - but I feel like the added "flex" in steel vs. comparatively rigid aluminum makes for a little softer ride. Full suspension is awesome, but the trails around here are mostly light rocks/roots/mud, and my mileage, right now, is generally 5-8mi after work (depending on the trail). So far, I haven't found the hardtail to be all that uncomfortable.

As for clipless - This is pretty much the exact advice I've gotten from my local riding buddies - from buying Shimanos (hopefully soon, but I just bought a house so "fun money" is a little tight right now!) and riding around in the back yard to get the most embarrassing falls out of the way. Really, my main concern isn't falling at low speed - which, as you mentioned, is inevitable. It's those high speed moments where you save yourself by kicking out to bounce of a bank or tree. Maybe that doesn't happen, with experience, but right now, sticking a leg out has saved me from some high speed spills a couple times! In either case, I have clipless shoes now, so once the finances recover, the pedals are next.

You will find that those high speed kick outs that you are talking about really don't happen. Why? Well you instinctively twitch to do what you need to get your foot moving in the direction of the object, this automatically releases that clips and your foot is free. I have crashed plenty in the last 3yrs of riding clipless and can tell you that the few high speed crashes I have had my feet disengaged before I could think to do it. Conversely it is when you are doing things like pulling up to a stoplight/sign slowly and want to unclip that you inadvertently lean the direction you are trying to unclip and do that slow, windmill arm woah woah WOAH *THUD* type fall.

Speaking of getting the embarrassing falls out, they will happen on the trail no matter what, or on the road to the trail. Just happens that way. I actually had it happen one time when I was on my hardtail; just went to start off from a short breather and clipped the right foot in and pushed off to start pedaling. Well left foot went right in but I did not have enough momentum to keep going nor for some reason could I pedal. My front tire went up against a small rock and.. yup you guessed it... Over I went. But the worst part was that I just plopped over on my side, feet still clipped in and somehow got my right leg twisted so my thigh was caught between the top tube and the nose of my saddle...

So there I was floundering on the ground trying to figure out how the $%*@ I was supposed to figure out how to unclip when my feet were stuck plus being stuck between the toptube and the saddle. Finally figured out that if I rolled on my back with the bike in the air I could then unclip at least one side... So I start to do this and my water bottle falls out of the cage and tags me dead in the chest. Don't think my pride has been that wounded before, still rode, had fun and now can look back and laugh at myself.

My own for road bikes and hard tails. For all mountain fun in Pisgah, a simple Trek Remedy. An old school custom Merckx from too long ago. Ok, all the road bikes are old school, but they get down the road. Have plans for a new road frame this summer in carbon and a 29er trail/gravel grinder in ti. We'll see....
IMG_20150513_195310962.jpg

IMG_20150513_195607255.jpg

IMG_20150513_195652031.jpg

IMAG0213[1].jpg
IMAG0245[1].jpg
IMAG0291[1].jpg
If I were $$ rich, I would have a dozen cruisers. Instead I have a dozen bikes. Here are my two squishy trail bikes and the one I ride to work. The Giant Trance is a 26 inch wheeled steed. The W.F.O. is a 29 inch wheeled bike and the one you are most likely to see on the back of my 100 series on the 1upUSA rack. The Schwinn Tempo is a bike I bought new in 1987 and still ride today. Why do I peruse mud more than bike forums? It makes no sense...

Specialized Epic World Cup edition.
Klein Attitude Pro
Cannondale X7

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1433871774.182735.jpg

I actually have 3 Kleins. This is the only one actually together at the moment. It's just an attitude. I also have an attitude pro, as well as a Palomino.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom