Possible relocation to Toronto from the us. Safety/inspection question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

It's looking more and more likely that my family may be relocating to the Toronto area in the near future, and i am trying to figure out if my beloved 80 series is going to be considered street legal there. We currently live in the US in Georgia, where I just have to pass emissions each year.

My concern is when i had the vehicle converted to part time 4wd, this effectivity did away with the abs system. I thereafter removed the abs system and lines completely, along with the lspv in the rear. The vehicle actually brakes better now than it ever did before, but that's likely irrelevant for purposes of passing an inspection.

In looking on the registration website, the safety inspection doesn't give many specifics as to what qualifies as a passing vehicle. Does anyone have any experience with this? My abs light is on, of course, so I'm sure that will get noticed. Will not having abs cause me to fail this inspection?

I certainly do not want to have to part with my 80, so hopefully I can figure something out. Any insight any of you may have would be great! Thanks in advance!

Remove the ABS bulb? Yeah, that's all I got. Good luck.

Thanks--that's actually on my list to do anyway. Wasn't sure if a visual inspection was done in the engine bay to look for ABS. I may be overthinking this, but I figured better to investigate how it works sooner rather than later.

safety inspection basically is making sure tires are all ok, no cracks good thread left. windhsield is crack free, all safety equipment is intact and in working condition example, seat belts. seats move back and forth. brakes are in good working order and still have over 30% life left on them, rotors and drums same thing. no holes in the body of the vehicle(rust holes) all lights are working.

as far as the abs, if its original equipment it needs to be working to pass a safety, so yeah.. remove the bulb and hope they dont notice

windshield wipers work front and back if equiped with a rear wiper and windhield washer jets work aswell

thanks for all of the info. i appreciate the feedback!

Hi everyone. I’m also moving to Toronto and have the same question but mine is with a RHD (hdj81). Not sure how painful the process is going to be or if it’s as simple as nfs56 mentioned.
Also, is there any issues insuring a RHD in Ontario?
Thanks for the replies and looking fwd to meeting you guys soon.

Hi everyone. I’m also moving to Toronto and have the same question but mine is with a RHD (hdj81). Not sure how painful the process is going to be or if it’s as simple as nfs56 mentioned.
Also, is there any issues insuring a RHD in Ontario?
Thanks for the replies and looking fwd to meeting you guys soon.
Currently going through this process for my HDJ81.

I imported a multivalve from Japan, its finally in the GTA. Going for safety and appraisal next week.

Will let you know how it turns out...hopefully it will be all ok

You might have to replace the headlight lenses with LHD so they have the correct direction.
There always seems to be questions about bringing JDM into Ontario, so posting how it goes would
be appreciated. Good luck.

I'm looking at a HJ 76, but my worries is that the 12 digit VIN will not allow me to get an ownership. It's being sold from a mine, and i've heard that they can't be put on the road. Any work arounds? Much thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom