Portsmouth Island 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
**We have 3 rectangular cabins (not the round ones we had last year) reserved this year. If you want a spot in a cabin, please reply with the number of people you want to reserve a spot for, otherwise there's 20+ miles of beach front to camp on.**

November 10-13, 2016

image.png

So here's the low-down on Portsmouth Island (PI) in the southern Outer Banks in NC...

PI is a rugged island. There are only two things available for purchase on the island and both are sold by the park service at the Ranger Station: ice and $5/gal gas/diesel. Everything else you need for the long weekend (Thu-Sun) will need to be packed in and packed out. There is cell service on the island. I have Verizon Wireless and had between 1 and 3 bars LTE while out there.

To get to PI from Charlotte it's 345 miles and 178 miles from Raleigh.

The actual meet up point is the Morris Marina in Atlantic, NC. It's there we will make arrangements for the ferry to take us and the trucks over and arrangements for the ride back. To the extent we can coordinate the time we all want to ride over, the ferry service will make a special trip for us.
Morris Marina Kabin Kamps & Ferry Service, Inc.
1000 Morris Marina Rd.
Atlantic, North Carolina 28511
Phone: (252) 225-4261
Fax: (252) 225-0366
Email: info@portsmouthislandfishing.com
Portsmouth Island Fishing and Ferries, Morris Marina, Long Point Cabin Camp at Cape Lookout National Seashore, Atlantic NC

The Morris Marina has a small diner with breakfast and lunch where you can grab a bite before heading over.

$75 round trip/vehicle including 1 driver
$14 round trip/person (6 yrs old +)

If you are trailering a truck you can drop it in their yard or for a fee they will ferry it over.

The ferry ride from the marina to PI takes 30-45 minutes. Once docked at PI, the trucks drive off the ferry and are free to drive anywhere on the 22 mile long island that is between 1/2 mile and 1 mile wide. The only exceptions are areas closed for birds or turtles but the forest ranger on PI said everything should be open in November.

For sleeping arrangements there are a couple options:
1) The National Park Service for the Cape Lookout National Seashore rents duplex cabins. Most have A/C. They sleep 6 people in bunk beds, have electricity and propane stoves. See 2014's PI thread for pics of the cabins. Portsmouth Island Trip - November 20-23 2014
2) Camping is available anywhere on the beach but has to be 100 yards from the cabins or of course you can sleep in your truck. PI can be cold, windy and/or rainy so cabins are probably best.

The cabins are in high demand so earlier this year I reserved three cabins (#14, #15 and #16).

Fires are allowed on the beach. We'll need to bring our own firewood.

For most people it's a long drive to get to the Outer Banks, so to make the drive and ferry ride worth it, we found that it really makes the most sense to take a morning ferry ride on Thu, tool around the island and be at check-in at 1:00pm so that we have 3 full days (Thu-Sat) to play around. Since it was such a long drive, Sun was really a get-up-and-pack-day only so people could get home at a decent time.

There is plenty of surf fishing to do as November is supposed to have some of the best fishing on the Atlantic coast for Blue, Cobia, and Drum.

This year we will have bumper stickers made using the logo at the top of this thread. A special thank you to @Green Hell Mustang for designing the sticker!

Check out last year's thread for lots of pics:
Portsmouth Island - Nov 12-15, 2015

Attendees list will be updated as people reply.

Attendees:

Cabin #15 - 1 open spot:
@JohnVee (John V.)
@FJ Junkie (Sarah S.)
@77 KROOZER (Mike, Marie & 2 dogs)
@forrest5000 (Eric F.)

Cabin #16 - 1 open spot:
@Green Hell Mustang (Alex C.)
@SeanLX (Sean T.)
@GLTHFJ60 (Johnny C. +1)
@lumbee1 (Jonathan J.)

Beach camping:
@DeeRex (Derek H.)

Last edited:
shandors in 2 humans 2 pups

I'm in

I've had 2 beers and read this thread 3 times, am I missing the dates for this year?

I'm tentatively in 100%!!! I really want to do this trip.

IN w/ 3 others. Camping.

I think this is the time of the year that I hibernate. :-(

Might need to change it but put me down for 2 spots. This was a fun trip.

Tentatively in for beach camping. Is a small camping trailer an issue on the ferry?

Damn... was looking forward to this trip this year, alas Emma and I will be in San Francisco at the Temple of the Dog show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom