portal axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone used the Portal Alxes on a 55. Just did some research on those things and they are pretty bad Ass. Seems expensive, but the things look like they really do it.

Been done, at least once.

Toyota axles with H1 outers.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Expensive, need a lotta lift, and would think best for a hardcore crawler, since you only gain ground clearance under the diffs.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1969-toyota-4x4-fj55-land-cruiser-portal-axled-rock-crawler.599117/

Last edited:
DO IT!!! portals are friggin beasts...keep in mind there is a gear ratio at the hub end of those axles, too, so your gearing will likely double(slower axle revs per engine revs) so you'll want like 40s to keep any kind of highway speed. I have seen some frankenfabbed portal axes as seen above- the H! seems to me to be the most feasible for this type of axe mod due to the higher possibilty of finding repair parts domestically- most other portal boxes are from UniMog and Volvo- hard to obtain parts for. each of those axes are WIIIIIDE and the moggers are not an as easy (read as near impossible with stock engine/gearboxen) swap due to pumpkin location. all this being said, they are the hands down best way to gain altitude without raising the COG as much as say an SOA. best bet would be to find an old moggy and swap its gut into the pig...or just buy an old MOG and try to contain the s*** eating grin it'll stick on ya

http://portal-tek.com/
https://www.google.com/search?q=fj5...ASG1IJo&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1517&bih=741&dpr=0.9
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/landcruiser-portal-boxes.251412/
did not remeber about the Nissan portals...

Volvo C303 Front Axles:
1. strength: in stock form can handle moderate wheeling up to a 38" tire with little breakage.
2. weight and clearance: heavier axle with a lot clearance (portal)
3. aftermarket Upgrades: High strength birf available and custom machined detroit will increase strength. No portal box upgrades that I know of that would handle over a 42 effectively without stripping portal gear. Though some suppliers are working on.
4. what will be the weak link: In stock form the factory locker spline. With aftermarket birfs and custom Detroit it will be the portal reduction gear.
Pros: Great Clearance due to the portals, and lighter than other portal axles.
Cons: Expensive, Very Hard to locate (Importing) and little aftermarket support. Moderate vehicle modification to fit properly.
Measurements:
WMS to WMS: ~70"
Axles Splines: Inner 27 spline
Ring Gear Dia: 8"
Pinion Offset: 6.25" from center to pass side
Tube Dia: 3.25" square tube
Portal Drop: 4.5"

Unimog 404 Front Axles:
1. strength: in stock form can handle moderate wheeling up to a 44" tire with little breakage.
2. weight and clearance: heavy axle with the most clearance (portal)
3. aftermarket Upgrades: High strength inner axles available will increase strength of smaller diameter short side inner axle. No portal box upgrades that I know of that would handle over a 44" effectively without busting portal gear reduction box. Look to 406/416 axles for slightly more beefy portal boxes, or U1300 axles for tires over 46".
4. weaklink: In all forms of 404 axle the portal reduction box will be the weak link.
Pros: Awesome Clearance due to the portals, and great turning radius, high pinion
Cons: Expensive, harder to locate than some axles, no aftermarket upgrade for the portal box. Heavy vehicle and axle modification to fit properly.
Measurements:
WMS to WMS: 69" Front, 68" Rear
Axles Splines: Inner 8 spline
Ring Gear Dia: 9"
Pinion Offset: 3.75" from center to drivers side in front, pass side in rear
Tube Dia: Tapered Double wall tube
Portal Drop: 4 3/8th"

Volvo C303 Rear Axles:
1. strength: in stock form can handle moderate wheeling up to a 38" tire with little breakage.
2. weight and clearance: heavier axle with a lot clearance (portal)
3. aftermarket Upgrades: Custom machined detroit will increase strength. No portal box upgrades that I know of that would handle over a 42 effectively without stripping portal gear. Though some suppliers are working on.
4. what will be the weak link: In stock form the factory locker spline. With custom Detroit it will be the portal reduction gear.
Pros: Great Clearance due to the portals, and lighter than other portal axles.
Cons: Expensive, Very Hard to locate (Importing) and little aftermarket support. Moderate vehicle modification to fit properly.
Measurements:
WMS to WMS: ~70"
Axles Splines: Inner 27 spline
Ring Gear Dia: 8"
Pinion Offset: 6.25" from center to pass side
Tube Dia: 3.25" square tube
Portal Drop: 4.5"

Unimog 404 Front Axles:
1. strength: in stock form can handle moderate wheeling up to a 44" tire with little breakage.
2. weight and clearance: heavy axle with the most clearance (portal)
3. aftermarket Upgrades: High strength inner axles available will increase strength of smaller diameter short side inner axle. No portal box upgrades that I know of that would handle over a 44" effectively without busting portal gear reduction box. Look to 406/416 axles for slightly more beefy portal boxes, or U1300 axles for tires over 46".
4. weaklink: In all forms of 404 axle the portal reduction box will be the weak link.
Pros: Awesome Clearance due to the portals, and great turning radius, high pinion
Cons: Expensive, harder to locate than some axles, no aftermarket upgrade for the portal box. Heavy vehicle and axle modification to fit properly.
Measurements:
WMS to WMS: 69" Front, 68" Rear
Axles Splines: Inner 8 spline
Ring Gear Dia: 9"
Pinion Offset: 3.75" from center to drivers side in front, pass side in rear
Tube Dia: Tapered Double wall tube
Portal Drop: 4 3/8th"

all from >>>https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/great-axle-setups.4764/

goto love this forum, NO?

Mopar makes them for. Dare I say th "j" word. $12,500 for the front and $11,000 for the rear. But I am sure you got better things you would rather spend that on. Like a whole bunch of :pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig::pig: PIGGIES.:)

Thanks Bob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom