Portable Spray Booth (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll be painting my samurai this summer after completing all of the prep work. I would prefer to rent a spray booth, but have had zero success in finding one to rent. This leaves me with building my own portable spray booth. It will likely be a positive-pressure booth.

What I have;
Costco portable garage frame 10' x 20'
White tarp for the top and clear poly for the sides. Tarp for covering the pavement.
Tarp zip up zipper for door and lots of tape to tape all seams.
Blower fan.....dunno the cfm off hand, gotta go look.
Compressor, desiccant filters, spray guns, respirator with organic / paint cartridges.

Need to buy furnace filters and construct a box for the fan intake, and some furnace filters for the exhaust air.

I'm looking for pics or info on how you constructed your spray booth please, similar or different to what I have in mind.

I'll be spraying Imron Rival paint, and it will hopefully be free of bugs, dirt and leaves when it is done!

We are on the same track. I bought a 10 x 20 auto garage/shelter from Harbor Freight, on sale for $129. Ordered from McMasters-Carr the filter media in rolls, 2' wide and savaged some particle board to frame up the ends and openings for the filtered fans to push air through at the top of the end wall, venting out the bottom of the other end wall (Down draft design) into a tunnel made of plastic out the roll up door to exhaust the paint fumes and particles away from the shop. I have two 24" square fans pushing air in and a 38" round shop fan exhausting with filters on the front side to prevent painting the fan with the airborne paint particles.

Have 6 mil plastic for the floor and will wet it down with water when I start the spraying. Be sure to use explosion proof lights inside the booth or have enough light shining through the sides. My 40 is disassembled so will be painting in pieces off the frame. I will post a picture when I get back to the shop in a couple of weeks.

Sounds like you have your plan dialed in.
Would like to see pics of your booth please when you get it built.

Is the "down draft" design going to effect how the paint goes on? As it will be down and across at a ratio of about 1:4, and down from only one direction. I was thinking having the fan blow in from one end, say 3ft above the floor and out the other end at the same height [ roughly].

The down draft design is what a lot of professional shops use as it fresh air is carrying the paint particles or fog away from the freshly applied paint. However, these ar FJ-40's and not show cars, so it probably doesn't matter that much. Will post a photo when I get back to home.

I second the plastic and fan idea...

Another item is to take hose and wet floor; doesn't allow dust to stir up.

I have considered doing this. The one thing that stands out is to use a brushless fan motor otherwise you run a explosion risk (tiny sparks from where the brushes ride on the stator). Is it a real risk? Booooooom!

Dyno

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom