Pop Top Camper Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let's start with a short introduction.
I have always liked older cars and expedition type vehicles. I have had a dream of driving down to Patagonia since I was 16. Last summer I picked this FJ45 Troopy in the Seattle (so I'm new to Land Cruisers) area with my 12 yr old son, and we then drove it back to Montana where we live. On the way, we camped in it of course.

It is a RHD 1982 FJ45 Troopy from Australia with a roof camper conversion by Land Cruisers Australia PTY LTD. It can sleep 4, but it is very cozy. I have limited information other than that. I though I had found the company, but the emails bounce back. The Troopy still has the 2F engine with Power steering. Unfortunately the AC was removed before I got it. It has dual fuel tanks, propane tank storage and a water tank.

Since I got it I have done only a few things to it (needed to drive it as much as possible). We started with a good scrubbing (Pray hose, and soap bucket inside, and then out), changing the oil several time till it looked clean. I also installed rebuild Aisin locking hubs, as the right hand side hub was broken. And a couple of other things.

Last weekend we decided to get it inside the garage, a bit of a problem, as the garage door is a 7 ft door and the troopy is 7'-6" high.
So we removed the roof rack and deflated the hard to get 33x9.5x15 tires, and we JUST got it inside.
I have now removed the radiator, water pump (gasket was leaking) and alternator (making lots of bad bearing noise). Once I re-install this, we will be doing a front axle knuckle rebuild, replace most tie rods (a couple are new) and do a center arm rebuild. Also looking at changing the sump and side cover gaskets. After that I need to see what appears to be a transfer case leak, this scares me a bit more, as I have never opened one up, it seems to be coming from the front where the front differential connects to it. Any advise? After that, it goes back outside for camping trips.

Dreams:
Fit a turbo diesel engine, 5 speed transmission, prep it for overland travel and drive it to Patagonia.

Attached are a few photos.

Thanks

Guy

Troopy by river.jpg

Troopy and Camper.jpg
DSC_3229.JPG

Love the colour and thats one sweet cruiser !
How does the inside of the pop up look ?
Don't let a little labour scare you ! the work on these things is pretty simple and logical. Get a bottle of anti-seize for any bolts you take out then re-install.
For any diesel questions consult the diesel forum. I have heard a 3b with a turbo is the best set up but others may chime up and mention
something better.
As for the garage you could just remove the top and not have to deflate the tires.
Where is the propane stored.
Cheers !

May have to wait a bit to take photos from inside with the top up. As it is inside the garage.
The propane is stored in a side compartment. Look at the photo with the camper behind, behind the silver door by the fuel fill, is the propane tank.

Oh my god that truck is awesome. I bow to your cool factor!

sweet ... way to live the dream ... I'm not a diesel expert, but IHZ is a newer diesel than 3B (which I understand Finding parts for is becoming much harder) ... I'm considering 1HZ for my 40 if/when the need arises ... there are threads re that conversion here ...
:cheers:

Fast Eddy, I know. I did add some air back in before driving it in, and inflated them back up once inside. Did not see any damage. Not something I'm planning on doing regularly. Unfortunately with the amount of work I need to do, doing it outside depending on the weather in Montana, was not an option.
Winnie, a 1HZ-T would be nice. A little pricey, but that is the goal one day.

Fast Eddy, I know. I did add some air back in before driving it in, and inflated them back up once inside. Did not see any damage. Not something I'm planning on doing regularly. Unfortunately with the amount of work I need to do, doing it outside depending on the weather in Montana, was not an option.
Winnie, a 1HZ-T would be nice. A little pricey, but that is the goal one day.

Nothing constructive to offer at this point except my envy of all the options you have for this great looking Cruiser!

I love the rig very cool!!!

I want one, that is so sweet.

Bozeman area? nice looking troopy. remember to get RHD tie rod ends, LHD won't work, atleast 1 of them won't work.

I do side work in Helena if needed.
Paul

That Fraser Island sticker tells me that it's done a LOT of beachwork (Fraser is 100% Sand). So be very careful of rust.

Paul,
Communicated with you this fall, got your phone number, will call if coming through Helena. Thanks for the heads up on the tie rod end, I did order the RHD ones.

Just an update on progress.

Rebuilt the knuckle bearings and changed the tie rod ends, as well as rebuilt the center arm. Much nicer to drive now, I'm not all over the road.

Also replace the side cover gasket and the oil pan gasket. Neither one leaks now, but discovered that the oil pan itself is leaking at the skid plate. New one has been ordered.

Also replaced the transfer case seal and did great for the first day, then started leaking a lot, until I cleaned the breather. Now it leaks a couple of drops when I stop. New one in hand, waiting for the oil pan to do it all at once.

Also replace the alternator.

Below are a couple of photos.

Toopy out.jpg

Taking the Troopy back out of the garage. Two tires fully inflated, two not.

Troopy Hail.jpg

Driving back from the mountains in a hail/snow storm, the end of May. Love living in Montana :)

Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom