1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pontiac v8

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by mikedm, Jan 11, 2003.

1. mikedm

mikedm

Does anyone know if these will bolt up as easily as a chevy v8?

2. PHAT MAX

PHAT MAX

my guess is it should, but you need a BOP form of any tranny you want, diff bellhousing i think. BOP=Buick Olds Pontiac

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Put a '88 305 TBI out of a Firebird in a '78 FJ40 and during the time finding the odds and ends to complete the project found out any corporate GM part will fit for that year/displacement.

4. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I'm pretty sure the 305 and the 350 in the later year Firebirds were chevy engines. The POB blocks had very wide intakes and some had a oil fill tube sticking up in front. Without looking it up, I want to say 260-307-350-400-455 v-8s.

5. cruiserbrett

cruiserbrett Moderator

A true Pontiac v-8 can be a pain to install. They are wide, the starter is on the opposite side of a 2F/chevy v-8, bellhousings(other than a lakewood custom) have only the 4.686" diameter index ring. So, no sm465 unless you put a ranger O/d in there with the 4.686 nose and 5.125" tail. Limited to TH350/TH400 with BOP patterns for autos, and an sm420 with a car bellhousing.

Earl warden has done a few of these, and they came out nice, but if you are looking to be different, there are much better engine choice out there.

-Brett

6. mikedm

mikedm

It is actually a '72 307. It is free, which is why I am considering it, but I don't want anything that is going to be a huge headache, I would rather buy an engine if that is how this would turn out.

7. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Keep it in the back. When you need to slow down, toss it out the back on a chain. You'll go slightly slower in that configuation than with it in the engine bay. ;)
    Seriously, about the only one worse would be the 260 V-8 that I once had in a 76 Olds Gutless.
    Now a 455 POB block might be worth the trouble.