polishing a TuRD (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you Tony!! I struggle with that while i build, i try to get s*** done and dont think ahead for future repairs. I'll need to carve that in my head backwards so I remember your sage advice!

Yeah, I put my cross member up as high as I could, & put the bolts in from the top...couldn't get them out with the cab in place....dumb ass. Also put the twin sticks in in such a way that I couldn't remove them without removing the seat, taking up the carpet & cutting the floor, had it all sealed up nice with some rubber roof material to keep out drafts & water & such. Not to mention assembling the drive train before the cab was on & like to never got the trans bolts to break loose. Felt like kicking my own ass.

Sounds like a cluster fxxx!! I stripped out my very top trans bolt and got the socket stuck to it and can't get it off when I installed my trans last. I will probibly have to pull the cab or cut a hole in the floor to fix that mess if I have to pull the trans again. Best case scenario is the bolt and socket falls out while driving.

Definitely don't need all the bell housing bolts. Just ask Joe....

Definitely don't need all the bell housing bolts. Just ask Joe....

s*** no. I don't even know why they put them all there.

One bolt on each side, let the dowels handle the rest?

I'd like to shot the fxxxer that decided the top bolts needed to be where they are.
"Toyotas are awesome & easy to work on, let's fxxx with the people & put 2 bolts in a fxxxed up spot to keep them humble"

I don't know how it is on the mini trucks but you need like 6ft of extensions (not exaggerating) and at least 2 wobble sockets to get the upper two trans bolts off on the tacoma. The front diff is also impossible to fill on this truck, i have said the front diff fill plug on this truck is japans passive aggressive retaliation for us nukeing them twice.

I ran 3-4 at any given time. I NEVER put that top one back in. The only bellhousing I ever fully bolted back in was on my 12valve Ram. Mostly because they were easy to access.

And it's the same on a mini, put every extension you own together with a wobbly and stab blindly into the abyss.

Hahaha, true. Its always weird laying behind the rear axle to break a bell housing bolt loose.

Does anyone have any use for solid axle fj60 hubs? I would hate to see them go away on the back of the local scrap metal truck.

The parts are rolling in, my BPE kit arrived last week, i just sent a paypal for a set of original 30spline long inner's off a guy on marlins board, i have an fj 60 series long coming used for the short side, and i will probibly get the birf's themselves from RCV along with the hub gears. Looks like ill have a Long science experiment going on in the front axle, but whatever. Next up on the list i need to find a good deal on the oil pan kit and order the f150 steering box. My brother in law just got a free miller Bluestar 2E generator/welder. The leads are trashed and the motor needs a tune up, but it physically looks good on the surface it looks like it was a score! I need to help him get it running and see how it welds before i get too excited.

Last edited:
Fj60 hubs? You mean the wheel hub or the selector hub? I think wheel hubs are pretty useless...

Wheel hub, i need to keep the selectors. They cleaned up nicely actually!

I ran 3-4 at any given time. I NEVER put that top one back in. The only bellhousing I ever fully bolted back in was on my 12valve Ram. Mostly because they were easy to access.

And it's the same on a mini, put every extension you own together with a wobbly and stab blindly into the abyss.

Was I not supposed to put those top two s***ty bolts in your 1st gen? :D

Bought some pre trail gear inner 30 spline longs off a dude on marlins board for 100 bucks. They had some surface rust but a few very vigorous and rhythmic strokes with some emery paper and that s*** was gone. There's a dude on tacoma world who is selling me an fj 60 fail gear 30 spline inner, so the plan is to stick some RCVS on them and see what happens. Before and after below:
IMG_20150809_191505_390[1].jpg
IMG_20150809_191821_376[1].jpg

I pretended I was he pizza deliveru guy while working these shafts at a medium pace...

It was an eventful day cleaning these up, can't wait to work on the knuckle balls!

Last edited:
Don't neglect the balls!

14d947210a7ca4e7c5a4a9c91d2e937b13e4342613d4a64dd54a5aaa268b8a0c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom