Please show us your FJ Cruiser with 35 Tires... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DSC01031.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01026.jpg

DSC01024.jpg

Surf n Turf, you're missing the molding at the top of your windshield. I'm sure you know, but maybe you don't.

thx, the moulding flew off the 1st day back from repairs.
funny toyota guys said i shold have picked it off the highway.
joke was on them as they had to provide a new one.

Can a guy run 35's with a 3" lift and how bad would it be to daily drive a FJ with a auto and 3.73's with 35's?

Thanks TIm

^^^Yes, 35's and 3" is very doable. 35's on a daily driver is doable as well. I know on stock gears (though I forget what the stock gears are) if you go with 35's, you will find your transmission searching for the right gear. So it is recommended if you're going 35's to regear, if you're going bigger you pretty much have to regear.

I run 3"lift and 35's, and 4.56 diff gears, it drove 35's standard, but would kick down to go over a shadow, and was frustrating when cruise was set, as it maps the auto diferently, so would kick back to 3rd sometimes, then hold the gear anticipating a longer hill, where you would be going down hill, in 3rd, revving, while it reduced throttle, and wouldnt change.

I wouldnt recommend 35's on std gears.

AutoCraft Aus said:
I run 3"lift and 35's, and 4.56 diff gears, it drove 35's standard, but would kick down to go over a shadow, and was frustrating when cruise was set, as it maps the auto diferently, so would kick back to 3rd sometimes, then hold the gear anticipating a longer hill, where you would be going down hill, in 3rd, revving, while it reduced throttle, and wouldnt change.

For clarification, you ran the 35s on 3.73s, but switched to 4.56s and still had issues at highway speed/cruise?

I may have overanalyzed the post, which prompted the stupid clarification question.

For clarification, you ran the 35s on 3.73s, but switched to 4.56s and still had issues at highway speed/cruise?

I may have overanalyzed the post, which prompted the stupid clarification question.

I read it that his is now running the 4.56's but when he ran "standard" gears, he had the issues as detailed in the post. But, I have been known to be wrong before...:hmm:

It was worse on 35's with std gears, but still does it on cruise now, just not as bad.

I think cruise control on any hilly terrain is going to be a bad experience. When I was running 315/75/16's on my 3.73 gears, cruise control was unusable. I now have 4.56 and in rolling hills of Atlanta freeways it's fine. When I get to the mtns of N. Georgia or SC/NC, I have to turn it off. But, I'd have to turn it off with a stock set up too in those elevation changes.

ours must be mapped differently, ours is sh1t with cruise on undulating ground, let alone hills!

The FJC cruise control is baffling to me because it is so bad, and I know that Toyota knows how to make a decent one. The cc in my '91 FJ80 was far better, and that was a much heavier and way under-powered truck compared to the FJC. My guess is that is because the cc is part of the computer control system of the FJC's fly-by-wire auto tranny, and is too "smart" for its own good (tries to make corrections too often).

The FJC cruise control is baffling to me because it is so bad, and I know that Toyota knows how to make a decent one. The cc in my '91 FJ80 was far better, and that was a much heavier and way under-powered truck compared to the FJC. My guess is that is because the cc is part of the computer control system of the FJC's fly-by-wire auto tranny, and is too "smart" for its own good (tries to make corrections too often).

Agreed, worst of any vehicle I've ever owned.

After my road trip this summer, it made no sense to me why it would kick down at times. I could drive it w/o cruise, maintaining speed w/o kicking it down but the ECU doesn't seem "smart" enough to handle it. With 4.88's and towing my trailer, it would kick down at the weirdest times, many times into 3rd.

One thing Toyota missed on the FJC IMHO...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom