1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help!!!!: shipping questions

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by isozelmonic, Aug 26, 2003.

1. isozelmonic

isozelmonic

hello,
    I have the opportunity to get a a parts cruiser for a great price, but the only problem is that it is 650 miles away and I can't seem to fing any affordable way to get to me. I live in Prescott, AZ and the cruiser is in Alpine, Ut. If I were to rent a U-haul truck it would cost about $600. Does anybody have any better ideas.

Thank you

2. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    IF you've got or have access to a suitable tow vehicle; ie a 3/4 ton 'burb, truck, etc, you can flat tow the thing back with a $100 tow bar, assuming it will roll. Take the drivelines off and Go, cat GO.
    OR you could rent a tow dolly, take off the rear driveshaft, get the same tow vehicle...3/4 ton and GO, GO, GO.
    Tha main reason I say 3/4 tom is the brakes, not the ability to pull it. I've flat towed my'40 with a Yukon and got pushed around when I put on the brakes, 'cause the cruiser didn't want to stop. Maybe it just didn't like that GMC fart it was sniffing.
    Easy to drop driveshafts, and you should have a towbar anyway. Just have enough BRAKES!!!! Really. ;)

3. dd113

dd113

San Fran area to Atlanta $600. Middle Michigan to Atlanta $500. I would expect you can have it brought for $500 or so. Price depends a lot on location IE: can they PU other vehicles in the area? Go to google and get bids. Make sure your carrier has insurance and a delivery date.

4. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I agree with degnol, I flat tow my 40 all over GA, mostly with a fullsize Bronco with 351 CI's of go juice :D Also towed with a 1/2 ton 'burb. That worked well too. I use the Smittybuilt tow bar from SOR, had a pro welder friend of mine install the brackets, its great!
    That would easily be your cheapest option. I don't like the Uhaul dollies, weak and aren't "supposed" to go over 45.

5. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Ya'outta have a tow bar anyway, really, about$100. Get it, got it, good. ;)
    Only once have I had to call my wife any say " get the towbar and the'Burb and come get me" Broken points, last time, now HEI...could not be happier.
    Wanna but a tow bar? Just kidding, may need it when I break something else.
    GET A TOW BAR, do it, do it now...slowly ;)

6. wheelie

wheelie

what kinda rig is it and is it worth the trip?

7. wheelie

wheelie

would most definitly do the road trip, alpine is a cool litte town, and close to all the city s*** ya might need

8. CardinalFJ60

CardinalFJ60

I used a shipper from SLC that I was happy with. I'm not sure where the number is now, but look up PK transport or trucking or something like that...

HTH

Cardinal 87 FJ60