Please..can we go back to nice Dash Plaques? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I looked at the link Brian provided, as well as the prices... These seem to be of the quality and reliability that we are all discussing here, and the prices are not out of line (especially in adequate quantities).

I think that this is an excellent opportunity for us as an organization to have an art/template contest, where we can let our members contribute ideas and examples for all of us to vote on... We could look at a main plate (membership), and perhaps several alternatives that could be used for acknowledging membership years...

(Disclosure) I own a company that makes dash plaques as a primary product.....We've been making them for almost 50 years now....I am a second generation owner and have co-owned and run this company for 10 years since my folks retired....having invested over 27 years in the business myself.

To get the best results, screen printed dash plaques would make the most sense. You can reproduce almost any logo or graphic, in multiple colors in an economical way for as few as 50 pieces.

Laminated plaques look great for a while, but once the moisture starts to de-laminate the paper....they're shot. It's why we don't make them that way. Even our magnets avoid paper as part of the finish for the same reasons.

Screen printing is much like printing early automotive paint (enamel) onto an ink receptive metal. It lasts about as long as early automotive enamel did, and can be polished and preserved in the same ways as a traditional paint job....There is a risk of buffing it off eventually with too much abrasion, because it is a thin layer of material, so I would recommend using a wax with no abrasives....like they use for modern finishes.

I stumbled in here as I was researching keywords for our company (Rallye Productions Inc.), and found this thread. While I have a vested interest in selling these products....I figured I may as well chime in for some basic information. We do work for Red Rock 4 Wheelers and several other 4 wheeler clubs around the country.

Cost doesn't have to be extreme to have a good quality product. Single or 2 color screen printed plaques can cost slightly more than 1.00 ea. in quantities as few as 100 pieces. Add a free sponsorship program and the price drops, and you get some cool free stuff to give out at your events.

Here are pricing examples...

I did read the rules....So I hope this post is acceptable. If not, delete it, and forgive me for any misunderstanding I might have had. I'm primarily here for informational purposes, and am happy to answer any questions as well as I can, regardless of if anyone purchases products from us or not.

Thanks,

Brian Genrich
Rallye Productions Inc.
President
bgenrich@rallyeproductions.com
RallyeProductions.com
Rallye Productions Industrial Printing

Brian,

Thanks for both your information:cheers:, and taking the time to help others better understand what to look for in a quality product...:clap:

Cheers!

The only plaque that i've had problems with was the anniversary one (2006?). It was also taller than the others.

I don't think I agree with your description of "paper laminate" -- both the 08 and 09 plaques were painted aluminum.

I can check on what we've paid in the past for the next meeting.

There are reasons why use the company we use now, one of course is price. The other is minimums. We are not required to place an order for a large amount each year. The last 2 years we have ordered only 1,000 plaques & we are generally left with approx. 400 that we stock in the store. Not many people actually want the plaques each year so we only order enough to accommodate those who do & we not only don't pay a mint for them, but we aren't required to purchase a minimum quantity that we end up getting stuck with. In the past, that has simply been money wasted & believe it or not, dash plaques are not cheap to produce. We have used our current provider for the last 5 plaques. They are affordable, easy to work with & to date we've not had any problems with the quality. Until this one complaint above. We have used Rallye in the past.

Why wouldn't people want those anymore, is there a main reason for that? Personally I'm no big fan of vinyl all over my windows and why for what I am running is the flat black ih8mud.com over my limo tinted windows. (Woody, thanks,they look sweet!) I'd rather run mine on my dash or console, or like posted, just below the factory emblem.

Thought about using the spares as give-a-ways at big events like C.M., Rubithon or other? Like in a swag bag or something else of that nature? To have that many sitting idle is a waste for sure..heck, use some to schmooze some dealerships and corporate people. It's possible it won't just get tossed in a drawer IMHO. I know of easily 15 key people between my three major local dealerships I feel are deserving of one each in light of how well they treat us as customers. Pack them in a ditty bag next time someone drives to an event not local to them and hand them off similarly to the dealerships, vendors, and specific shops they pass that take care of us..it'll show some appreciation and keep us at the forefront of their minds should the association, local club, or member need anything. Grass-Roots marketing at it's finest. If every lead sales guy and dealership owner who has a 4wd, or even (this'll stir some pots..sorry) has a FJ-C has one it's ultimately "Free Advertising" and honestly to a degree is a tax write-off IIRC. Just write them off, are the older ones even considered "inventory" anymore??

Just an idea..

Last edited:
This is all good information and good ideas. Our budget is VERY tight this year. Maybe we should consider making the dash plaques part of our merchandise instead of a giveaway item? Good thread, thanks NorCalBorn.
Happy Trails! N

Why wouldn't people want those anymore, is there a main reason for that? Personally I'm no big fan of vinyl all over my windows and why for what I am running is the flat black ih8mud.com over my limo tinted windows. (Woody, thanks,they look sweet!) I'd rather run mine on my dash or console, or like posted, just below the factory emblem.
<SNIP>

Dash Plaques are already for sale in our store so we do have them as a merchandise item. To answer the question of why people don't want them - it's just that some like them & use them & others really don't do anything with them. I've been a member since 1997 & have never once done anything w/plaques. They're a useless item to me & I'd rather have another sticker. Other members feel the same way so we now give them the option of receiving the plaque or an extra sticker. 95% choose the sticker. That's just the way it breaks down. Most members just don't want one. Others sport them like a badge of honor every year. They aren't cheap to make & so knowing what we do about the membership wanting one, we can order a small amount every year which saves us THOUSANDS (yes, thousands) of dollars on that expense. We can certainly use the old unused ones as giveaways but then you're left with "Who wants a dash plaque that's outdated & means nothing to someone who may not be a TLCA member?" We can't give away dash plaques for the current year because they're needed for members that want one with their memberships & for merchandise sales for people who have more than 1 vehicle. SO, by the time we can give them away, they're outdated. We can still provide them to chapters & events who want them, they just won't be the current year's plaque so provided they're all OK with that, then we can definitely send some out. :)

I think some people want a much more heavy duty badge to put on their rig. Like the badge on the Trail Teams FJ Cruiser. They are really expensive if so. What would be the interest in a car tag with the TLCA logo on it? I have had several request for that.

FYI, here is what the 2011 dash plaque looks like:

plaque-tlca-2011-xlg.jpg

As Ross mentioned, the biggest complaint we ever had was when we changed the size one year (2006).

You can buy replacement dash plaques back as far as 1997 on the TLCA store:
Dash Plaques : TLCA web store, online shopping for Toyota 4x4 owners

You can get TLCA logos and stuff here:
TLCA: Logos and other stuff

Matt

Last edited:
2011DashPlaque.png

^That does not equate to this..
NorCalBorn said:
*Pic of delamonation and pixel quality[EDIT]Picture(s)pulled 02/25/2011. Available to Board Members upon request.

This is an unaltered/raw image showing the issue of low resolution pixelation and peeling. If you look, you can see the pixels are not sharp, even on the lettering. It is not a mistake of the camera, this is how they look.

This might be why people don't use or want them?

Matt, understand I am not attacking your reply, just clarifying things.

The point to the thread though is they're still a paper laminated piece of aluminum which won't work for the idea and logic I've proposed here. The picture of what is shown on the web as well as just above in your quote is no way really is respective of the quality of the item. Sorry if I am hurting some hard working people's feelings by saying this, but at least I am not afraid to say it in an open and honest fashion. It is not a personal attack in the least. It is an ideal I see needing to be used, irrespective of a tight budget or not, it ultimately falls into the marketing the association and quality of not just us, but what is representative of that. I am not trying to tell anyone how to do their job they volunteer for in any way. I am presenting an issue I see along with a solution. This item is not something I will display. The DPI on it sucks. We're better than what appears to be something one can order up for $1 off of ebay from Taiwan.

The image data is there, as to the quality and resolution used to take it, should anyone wish to debate further.

Last edited:
I will need to find mine, an look at it. When I get them, They go in to my little collection box, and often, I don't even look at them.
We do need these to be better quality. There is no benefit to these, if they look this bad, and are falling apart. If it is a member benefit, then it needs to be better quality. This may not happen today, or tomorrow, but we do need to address this, whether we continue with dash plaques, or move to something else.
Either way, he's right. This is an item that represents the club in general, and it needs to be better.
I know Bodean is looking into some options on this, so let's see what he finds out, and we can go from there.
No decisions can be made until we have some ideas on pricing, because the budget is tight, and when we spend the money, it needs to be best bang for the buck. Period.
Shane, be patient, and let's see what Bodean finds out about making these plaques, and then we can go from there, cool?

I will need to find mine, an look at it. When I get them, They go in to my little collection box, and often, I don't even look at them.
We do need these to be better quality. There is no benefit to these, if they look this bad, and are falling apart. If it is a member benefit, then it needs to be better quality. This may not happen today, or tomorrow, but we do need to address this, whether we continue with dash plaques, or move to something else.
Either way, he's right. This is an item that represents the club in general, and it needs to be better.
I know Bodean is looking into some options on this, so let's see what he finds out, and we can go from there.
No decisions can be made until we have some ideas on pricing, because the budget is tight, and when we spend the money, it needs to be best bang for the buck. Period.
Shane, be patient, and let's see what Bodean finds out about making these plaques, and then we can go from there, cool?

Justin, :clap: reading your words above means I've made my point clear enough. Understand I felt it needed to play out like this so I could see all aspects before closing the point with the above picture. My hope is things are addressed and from here on out all that should be posted beyond this is a solution to the problem, or rather, a new thread entirely. I appreciate everyone's willingness to take part in this topic, and as we've discussed I am more than happy to share my thoughts and suggestions and understand completely they may or may not ever lead to anything new or revolutionary*.

Now, :flipoff2: I'm off to pack up for a couple weeks of warm weather, :beer: margaritas, and hopefully watch a stage of an international rally race without any cell phones, internet, or other stuff to detract from it.

I'll touch back after the 17th of next month, unless someone gets in touch with me saying the World needs me to save it, or the 4Runner, house, or this site's burned down.

:cheers:

Shane

p.s. As of today I am merely an individual member of TLCA no longer associated with any specific club, more because of our budget, but also because I wish no repercussions of these posts or thoughts to fall on anybody else's shoulders other than my own. If TLCA needs any help with events or other stuff you have my contact info, feel free to use it at your discretion.

There are no repercussions to be had from this. If there is a problem, real, or perceived, and nobody tells us, we can't do anyhting about it, one way, or the other. Thanks for speaking up. Glad to know we have folks that are still passionate about the club, and passionate about what we do, and how we represent the club.

Thanks, Shane! Have a great trip!! Pics, and a story for Trails would be awesome!! Just remember, if you do a story for Trails, it needs to be published first in Trails, same for the pictures!!

This is an unaltered/raw image showing the issue of low resolution pixelation and peeling. If you look, you can see the pixels are not sharp, even on the lettering. It is not a mistake of the camera, this is how they look.

Holy cow, this looks like crap. I am disappointed.

I created this design and delivered high-quality, press-ready artwork. I had no idea these turned out so cruddy.

We discussed this on the TLCA call tonight. We're going to look into this to determine what can be done to fix these.

Sorry to be MIA on the subject in here after my original post, but I honestly thought I would be getting e-mail updates to the thread....Probably a setting I need to adjust on my account.

The problem with the failing plaque shown is indeed de-lamination. It may not be a paper laminate, but a polyester laminate that peeled off of the base metal from the elements.

As I suggested earlier.....For outdoor exposure, a screen printed plaque is going to be far better off than any full color product that's available, while still giving you creative flexibility. In quantities of 1000+ we should be able to satisfy your pricing needs with a product that look much better to begin with, and won't fail.

I can't tell you how many times we lose a customer to price just to see them come back because of the experience you have had. With permission, I'd love to be able to use the image of the failed product to promote ours...

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thanks,

Brian Genrich
President
Rallye Productions Inc.
1-800-236-2036 x112
RallyeProductions.com

Brian,

Thanks for both your information:cheers:, and taking the time to help others better understand what to look for in a quality product...:clap:

Cheers!

Thanks Markh,

Glad I could help.

We typically drop 10% for quantities once we hit 1000, so not sure what your current price is, but for a 4 color screen printed 1"x3" it would be around $1.30 ea. If you add a Rock Auto Sponsorship that drops by .10 each down to 1.20 ea. and you get free stuff to add to your handouts at the events.

I'm sure if your club orders stickers and other items like that, we can put a pretty nice package together that will make everyone happy.

Thanks to all for the opportunity to discuss this without getting flamed. I really appreciate it.

Hoping I haven't stepped on any toes. I've been reluctant to post, as this is clearly club business....and I don't want to be seen as meddling.

Have a great day,

Brian Genrich
Rallye Productions Inc.
1-800-236-2036 x112
RallyeProductions.com

The problem with the failing plaque shown is indeed de-lamination. It may not be a paper laminate, but a polyester laminate that peeled off of the base metal from the elements...

With permission, I'd love to be able to use the image of the failed product to promote ours...

It's a paper base, trust me. Brian, I would ask, rather, request that at this time you do not use these images I have provided for your site or business. I have them filed as publicly viewable, but as with all my pictures I do retain my copyrights to them. First because I feel it might be in bad form against those that tried to make a good product, second because I feel it won't serve TLCA and what I am trying to get them to change. If however you and the board do work something out as far as an agreement and they or Justin wishes to personally ask me to release my rights to the images and authorize it's use by you I'll reconsider. Until then, please respect my asking you to not use it at this time as I think the board members now have enough information, feedback, and options to pursue this with a solution. If/When a new option happens I plan on being first in line or a willing guinea pig. :cheers:

Last edited:
I would ask you to please not use these images I have provided at this time. First because I feel it might be in bad form against those that tried to make a good product, second because I feel it won't serve TLCA and what I am trying to get them to change. If however you and the board do work something out as far as an agreement and they or Justin wishes to personally ask me to release my rights to the images and authorize it's use by you I'll reconsider. Until then, please respect my asking you to not use it at this time as I think the board members now have enough information, feedback, and options to pursue this with a solution. If/When a new option happens I plan on being first in line or a willing guinea pig. :cheers:

No Problem with not using the images...I don't even know who ran the job for your club, and would never associate another companies name with a public example. My goal would be to show the difference between laminated plaques and ours.

No problem no worries...I wouldn't use the image without permission either way.

Thanks,

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom