Platinum Spark Plugs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
C-Dan,

I'm planning on replacing the spark plugs before my next road trip.
Are there any advantages with the platinum plugs? or is it just a pricey item with little to gain?

Eduardo :-/

Depends.

The main benefit is extended replacement intervals. As number 6 cylinder is tight and 3 and 4 surround the air intake, that may be a benefit. I run MR2 turbo plugs because I don't like to fight the blower cross-over and they are one heat range colder. In your case it is probably more of a question of how often you want to do it. nippondenso platinums are 60,000 mile plugs. The interval recommended on the standard plugs is 30,000. I never ran mine that long, typically around 15,000 miles. I run the platinum for 60,000 miles.
Standard ND plugs list for  $1.97 each, platinum for $8.16

Dan

Footnote: The more often you disturb the plug wires, the more likely you are to damage them. Especially #'s 3,4 and 6.
1FZ wire set, 90919-21557, $109.56

I run MR2 turbo plugs because I don't like to fight the blower cross-over and they are one heat range colder.
Cdan - you do this too? I'm fixin on doing a tune up this weekend and was going to use stock plugs, but I've heard several guys mention this. Is that all there is to it, just buying a different part number (what is it by the way :D )? .... or you have to make any other changes. With my heavy foot tendency, I'd like to make this switch if it really may help. :beer:

90919-01180

Screw 'em in and go..........they even have the proper gap :G

Remember, lefty-loosey, righty-tighty. :ugh:

As they are not the most common plugs(or cars for that matter) check yer dealer in advance of the job to make sure he's got 'em. Some dealers stock 'em because you can use 'em in a Cruiser ::)

C-Dan,
Thanks for the input, I replaced the wires and plugs when I first got her. I just realized that was about 20k miles ago.
:eek:
Platinum it will be this time around.
Thanks again
Eduardo

Junk........
When did you follow me home??? :ugh:

Eduardo,
&nbsp:Do not use the number posted above in a naturally aspirated engine. Use a 90919-01168. The gap will need to be re-set to .8mm or .031 inch.

Dan :beer:

C-Dan
I got six 90919-01168 for a mere $ 44.52 + (some more for the Governor)
I'll remember to re-gap them.

Eduardo

C-DAN,is this correct:

1FZ-FE SPARK PLUGS NIPPONDENSO K16R-U 90919-01176(STANDARD OEM PLUG)

1FZ-FE SPARK PLUGS NIPPONDENSO PK16R-U 90919-01168(PLATINUM OEM PLUG)

1FZ-FE SPARK PLUGS NIPPONDENSO 90919-01180(PLATINUM 1 RANGE COLDER-BLOWER PLUG)

i keep this stuff in a LC maintenance folder :G

doug

Rick,

Not one with a Toyota part number. The stock plug is a K20R-U Nippondenso (90919-01166) I don't see any Toyota applications that are colder than a 20. You may be able to find an aftermarket ND plug that is a 22,maybe? :dunno:

Rick,
The blower includes a lower temp thermostat, be sure to install it. That should address some of the temperature concerns. If it runs hot or Knocks, the water injection thing that Photoman And I have been messing with REALLY WORKS. I am amazed at the difference. As a matter of fact, I even got me a wee bit smaller pulley for the blower from a very nice person and I fear that the cops will be looking for me :ugh:

Doug,

Prof cruiserdan grades yer paper "A" Don't forget to include that the naturally aspirated platinum option plug needs to be re-gapped at .8mm(.031in) bending the BASE of the negitive electrode only.(on an un-used plug, never adjust the gap on a platinum plug that has been "run")

Rick,
The blower includes a lower thermostat, be sure to install it. That should address some of the temperature concerns. If it runs hot or Knocks, the water injection thing that Photoman And I have been messing with REALLY WORKS. I am amazed at the difference. As a matter of fact, I even got me a wee bit smaller pulley for the blower from a very nice person and I fear that the cops will be looking for me :ugh:
I'll be putting the plugs in on my flamebeater this weekend (or early next week). Probably will wait a few mos before I tackle the water injection - I figure by then I can slip a few $ to B to snag it out when Cdan ain't lookin' :D

Junk,

Me hood is guarded by four vicous Brittanys. Try it... 8)

Dan,

You mentioned a new/colder thermostat for the blown engine...are you referring to the V8 SC? I put a SC on my I6 '97 and the kit did not include a new thermostat. Should I be changing it out? If so, what's the part number?

Also, just how much of a difference did you notice with the colder plugs, if any? Can it really make that much difference (pardon if a dumb-ass question was just asked)?

Tom

Tom,
The colder thermostst applies to the V8. It will however fit in a 1FZ. I learned this courtisy of Photoman. It is a 00602-17620-440 and it is only $74.41 :eek: IIRc it is 170 degrees vs 190. The main reason for a colder plug is to reduce the chance of pre-ignition(knocking). It can make a difference, not a great one, but it's all done in increments any way.

C-Dan,
It was a 160 degree F. thermostat from Toyota. Not too good in the winter in a cold climate. I ran a NAPA 170 degree thermostat also (part number 65), but had to drill a hole where the jiggle valve is in the Toyota thermostat. IIRC the stock thermostat is 82C which is 179.6F.
Bill

Bill,

Between the two of us we are right. ::) I had tossed my box and had 170 in my head from someplace. The OEM stat 90916-03117 is in fact 82 C...82 x 1.9 + 32 = 187.8 F. Or about 190. :G

Two half rights make a whole one 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom