Pioneer Tool Trailer/ camp Trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought you guys might want to see what I came up with for an expedition trailer. These units are originally military pioneer tool trailers which used to carry heavy tools. The trailers are built on 3/4 ton frames and the unit empty says it weighs 700 lbs., but it might be more. There is conflicting information on the trailer tags. Anyway as you can see the nice thing about this trailer is that it has 4 doors (one on each side and barn doors on the back):D. Each of the doors can be locked which is even better because when you leave camp you have a place to store valuables.

The first thing I did was get to work with a grinder and cut out all the brackets on the inside. Then I installed a 30 gal water tank, double stainless sink, battery, fuse box,outlets and full carpet on the inside. My waeco 80 fits nicely next to the sink. For cooking I use a coleman stove which is attached to a 2.5gallon propane tank that is mounted with a metal bracket.

the other side of the trailer I left open and is actually large enough to sleep in. I also had to switch out the 24v bulbs and run a license plate light. All in all it was a great trailer to start from for my fab skills:doh:.

Future mods include a solar panel with pivoting bracket, built in tarps and generator.

Here are two pics while in use and a picture of what is looked like beforehand.
IMG_0098.2.JPG
IMG_0100.2.JPG
trailer.jpg

Damn that is COOL.

More pics please!

Sorry. I don't have a lot more pics now... as I am not at home.. I will try to take some more in a few weeks.

Looks like it fits the need w/o much modifying:hmm:. I like it!!

I bought it from a gov. auction, $700.00. Tires were basically new and I checked the bearings and they were good also.

To get it up and going there wasn't a lot of mods needed, but to get it perfect always takes time.

You got a great deal on that most times I see them going for 1200/1400 , always wanted to find one and trick it out. nice work

It is called a pioneer tool outfit. I have seen a few auctions with them over the last year but didn't see how much they went for. They are bullet proof. I have also seen variants of these including one that was 12" shorter in the rear with a rear deck.

Reaper,
I am out of town until the end of the month, but I think the measurements are:

Width of each side compartment= 24" so total width of box~ 4ft.
Heigh= a little under 4 ft.
Length= 8ft

these are all inside dimensions.

chris

Agreed

I just went on a backwoods trip and the trailer in this thread rocks. It has all the creature comforts you need when out in the wilderness.

Those are very cool! I can't imagine that it only weighs 700 lbs.

They don't. IIRC they weigh around 1700 empty.
As a comparison the soft top 3/4 ton M101A1 weighs in at 1289 empty.

Relative size and solar panel install

Guys here is some recent work. I installed the solar panel. I also have another post on the other side of the trailer which attached to the post with the panel. I use this to support a tarp. I will get pictures of this setup soon.
IMG_0931.SMALL.JPG
IMG_0933.SMALL.JPG

sseaman,
Yes there is but I won't have pictures until april. I am stuck in NYC. I have welded roof rack rails. enclosed the front and will add a storage box along with a rack for 6 jerry cans upfront. Next step is to add storage boxes along the sides for a chain saw, propane tanks, and other items. Then I will be working on an awning setup.

chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom