Pictures of Stock White FJ40 with Black OEM Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking into taking my FJ40 back to the stock white with a set of black OEM wheels. Does anyone have pictures of this setup?

Here's my junk...
DSCN1003.JPG

That's a cool bumper. Did you have it custom made?

It is a smittybuilt bumper made for a TJ I bought off of eBay used for cheap. I modified it to fit over my springs and did some custom frame mounts. It's stout and gives great protection. I think I picked it up for $250

Here's my 1971
FJ Pass Side.JPG

Last edited:
Running grey ones on my 82 bj42.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441433496.721788.jpg

I realize now that my response to this thread doesn't help you at all.. Sorry about that! Shouldn't post here this late at night. Saw "stock wheels" and got excited.

here's my 84 on grey splits
IMG_1225.JPG

fjeng, either you're showing us two trucks or you've had some interesting things done in an interim between photos.

In any case can you tell about that very interesting two part soft top and the equally interesting thickness of the entire back end of your truck's tub as shown in your first photo?

Nice use of an FJ25 bezel too, and compliments on the front bumper.

(I realize that this is off the topic of original BLACK wheels but fjeng's truck is just too unique to let pass by without an inquiry.)

That's a awesome looking 40! Who makes a 16 inch stock looking wheel?

Sent from my iPhone
Those are original Toyota split rims. You might be able to find those through a dealer, but they are dangerous to work on.

Those are original Toyota split rims. You might be able to find those through a dealer, but they are dangerous to work on.

In 15" or 16" sizes split rims aren't very dangerous so long as they're assembled correctly and inflated slowly after mounting up, paying attention to how the tire bead is in the right place. It's just a matter of learning how to do it right, like most things. Around the world it isn't an uncommon sight to see people changing tires along the roads. They don't require levering the second bead over a wheel rim which makes changing tires relatively easy.

The reputation as dangerous comes mostly from accidents with the much larger wheels used on large trucks. Semi-trailer Freightliner large. With those it's hard to see what's happening as they inflate and with the higher pressures involved a ring coming loose during inflation can explode away with enough force to cut a man in half. That's why truck tire repair places have a cage they put the wheel in before inflating.

However, it's become the case that a lot of tire places in this country won't work split rim wheels. They don't want to take chances and their insurance companies often won't support them if they do.

"Dangerous to work on"

You are thinking of American semi and heavy truck multi piece rims

Toyota split rims are IMHO extremely safe in comparison ... The Aussies can attest to them

There are precautions to take ... Just like using jack stands under a truck... Take the necessary precautions you'll never have an issue... Ever

"Dangerous to work on"

You are thinking of American semi and heavy truck multi piece rims

Toyota split rims are IMHO extremely safe in comparison ... The Aussies can attest to them

There are precautions to take ... Just like using jack stands under a truck... Take the necessary precautions you'll never have an issue... Ever
In 15" or 16" sizes split rims aren't very dangerous so long as they're assembled correctly and inflated slowly after mounting up, paying attention to how the tire bead is in the right place. It's just a matter of learning how to do it right, like most things. Around the world it isn't an uncommon sight to see people changing tires along the roads. They don't require levering the second bead over a wheel rim which makes changing tires relatively easy.

The reputation as dangerous comes mostly from accidents with the much larger wheels used on large trucks. Semi-trailer Freightliner large. With those it's hard to see what's happening as they inflate and with the higher pressures involved a ring coming loose during inflation can explode away with enough force to cut a man in half. That's why truck tire repair places have a cage they put the wheel in before inflating.

However, it's become the case that a lot of tire places in this country won't work split rim wheels. They don't want to take chances and their insurance companies often won't support them if they do.

Provided a tire shop will change tires on those rims, do they charge extra to work on the split rims? Also, since "they don't require levering the second bead over a wheel rim," could you swap your tires by yourself without a tire seating machine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom