Pickled Stuff. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll do the 'poor man's' or 'recycled' pickled eggs once or twice a year by putting some eggs in the leftover Claussen pickle juice once I've finished off the pickles. I usually forget they're in there for a month or more before eating any. Probably never had any other kind so I can't compare them. My current batch should be ready in about 2 weeks.

Recently found a jar of them I started in August 2015...let's just say they were a little firm and strangely textured. The juice was cloudy. No weird odor. I ate a bite of one and didn't get sick but it wasn't a pleasant experience.
My step mom made them that way, tasty.

I love almost, well not almost, I love anything pickled. This is my latest experiment. When I was a kid Dad had a friend who had chickens, around this time of year egg production increased and we always had plenty of fresh eggs around. Sometimes more than we could eat. My stepmother always made a few jars of pickled eggs. They were also a tavern staple in the PNW and many bars in Vegas.

This is my first attempt (the second batch is in the works, modifications are in (). )
1 1/2 cup vinegar
2 tsp pickling spice
1/4 tsp pepper flakes (1 tsp)
1 tsp sugar (2 tsp)
1 tsp canning salt (2 tsp)
1/2 cup water
1 dozen large eggs
1 quart mason jar

Boil the eggs, place eggs in cold water bring to a boil, turn heat off and let stand covered on the burner for 15 minutes then rapidly cool them in cold water.
Peel the eggs and put them in the mason jar
Combine the brine ingredients and bring to a boil, pour the boiling liquid over the eggs and screw on the lid.
These were good after two weeks in the fridge but much better after three weeks. I used distilled vinegar both times but cider vinegar would definitely improve the product. The first batch was tasty but I felt they needed more heat, salt and a touch more sugar to take the edge off the distilled vinegar. If I had cider vinegar the original amount of sugar would probably be fine.
The revised version is better. I used distilled vinegar if you use cider vinegar the extra sugar would probably not be necessary.

I'll do the 'poor man's' or 'recycled' pickled eggs once or twice a year by putting some eggs in the leftover Claussen pickle juice once I've finished off the pickles. I usually forget they're in there for a month or more before eating any. Probably never had any other kind so I can't compare them. My current batch should be ready in about 2 weeks.

Recently found a jar of them I started in August 2015...let's just say they were a little firm and strangely textured. The juice was cloudy. No weird odor. I ate a bite of one and didn't get sick but it wasn't a pleasant experience.

That is the way I have tried doing Serranos and chili tepins. Not bad, but the texture is off.

Back in 2011, my work partner and I were asked to help teach some do gooders how to pickle vegetables.

We made this video, based on our experiences, growing up in NW Iowa, where folks still pickle anything that will grow. It's good info, plus my partner is easy on the eyes.

Tonight, my wife and I are enjoying schattenmorelen, which are a traditional German pickled cherry. Oh. my. word. are they good!

Cool thread. I am too damn lazy to pickle anything anymore. I settled on mass produced stuff from the grocery store.

Speaking of costco, I picked up 4# of fresh organic green beans today. We usually can them but maybe I'll make a few jars of Dilly beans.

Then there is natural fermentation, I have made Kim Chee, sauerkraut, and naturally fermented pickles. This is Kim Chee in process

IMG_20140110_123628-1_zpsgbbypmvs.jpg

nice!

I made a batch earlier this week.

it's almost gone already.

That's exactly what we do. Either pickle juice or pickled pepper juice.They rarely last a week.

That's exactly what we do. Either pickle juice or pickled pepper juice.They rarely last a week.
The east coast version uses pickled beet juice which gives the eggs an pleasing un-natural pink color.

OK, looking up ideas for preserving artichokes. Looks to be prepping them and into EVOO with some spices and garlic.
My one plant is really setting fruit, and the temps in the central valley will open them up very fast. All people want chocks that are grown and harvested tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom