PHH *^#*%% (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
'97 80 series with > 200k, thought I'd finally take on the PHH as a preventative today. It's still in there. I tried to replace it a couple of years ago but gave up because I just could not get in to the clamps. Same thing today. The maintenance needs on this engine are piling up. The oil pump cover has a nasty leak and two shots at removing the crank nut have only yielded broken tools.

I scratch my head at folks who can get to the PHH easily... onliest one I ever replaced was during a HG replacement, so it was right there in plain sight. Don't do it the way I do...

Done two oil pump covers. We pretty did those by magic, so no help there either.

Good luck! Hang in there, you'll eventually get it!

The PHH wasn't a problem for me but I can't remember the trick.

I think I removed the skirt and wheel on the driver side.
The other trick was to unbolt the top side of the hard line and work it back and forth to break the table on the bottom.

The PHH wasn't a problem for me but I can't remember the trick.

I think I removed the skirt and wheel on the driver side.
The other trick was to unbolt the top side of the hard line and work it back and forth to break the table on the bottom.

How much do you charge:D?

I scratch my head at folks who can get to the PHH easily... onliest one I ever replaced was during a HG replacement, so it was right there in plain sight. Don't do it the way I do...

Done two oil pump covers. We pretty did those by magic, so no help there either.

Good luck! Hang in there, you'll eventually get it!

Sometime soon it'll be off to HF to pick up a 3/4 bar and go after the oil leak again. I have broken or bent 1/2 drive stuff with the starter bump trick and by hand. Maybe the 3/4 stuff will be sufficient, if not I'll wait until something major goes and I have to pull major stuff.

My wife has a horse and my attitude about the horse is that he's not a bad horse he's simply a horse and as such there are horse things that add a bit of difficulty to life. I think I'll soon have that attitude toward the FJZ80. I much prefer the simplicity of the 40 and 60, the 2F and 3FE. A couple of weekends ago I swapped out the water pump on the 40 and it was essentially an easy going relaxing job, but one little hose on the 80 :censor:.

I think I'll soon have that attitude toward the FJZ80. I much prefer the simplicity of the 40 and 60, the 2F and 3FE.

et tu Godwin?

:grinpimp:

You do know there's one in the shop? And a 3/4 ratchet too.

Sometime soon it'll be off to HF to pick up a 3/4 bar and go after the oil leak again. I have broken or bent 1/2 drive stuff with the starter bump trick and by hand. Maybe the 3/4 stuff will be sufficient, if not I'll wait until something major goes and I have to pull major stuff.

It doesn't show that he broke the bottom tab on the hard line..
If you look closely it looks like the tab is broken.
The hard line bolts at the top and bottom IIR.

The first PHH I replaced it took me 3 1/2 hours and the 2nd one took an hour. Like Clank said drivers side wheel and plastic aprons PLUS tranny dipstick. I took a knife and cut the old PHH in half and it made it much easier to get off. When putting the new one back on I think I used a little Vaseline to make it slide on better. I might have got lucky with the clamps being in the right spot to loosen them though. Good luck!!

Last edited:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/674193-pesky-heater-hose-phh-replacement-video.html

just posted in the 80 series forum. Makes it look like a piece of cake.

Yeah I watched this. I think a stunt 80 was used because the guy made it look too easy. I learned nothing about how to deal with the clamp near the block and that's the one that's giving me trouble. I think the video was more to sell the guy's PHH kit with the heat shrink clamps. No explanation how to fully heat shrink the clamp once the hose is on the block.

The first PHH I replaced it took me 3 1/2 hours and the 2nd one took an hour. Like Clank said drivers side wheel and plastic aprons PLUS tranny dipstick. I took a knife and cut the old PHH in half and it made it much easier to get off. When putting the new one back on I think I used a little Vaseline to make it slide on better. I might have got lucky with the clamps being in the right spot to loosen them though. Good luck!!

I had the 80 on two jackstands, wheel off, apron off, tranny dipstick loose but the clamp nearest the block is facing wrong to be able to get a good grip with pliers. I know I could go in with a Dremel and cut it and maybe I will, but as tight as the area and with the other stuff up there, I'm hesitant.

I don't own an 80 but like suggested above I generally use a single edge industrial type razor blade to slice through the old hose, and then whatever tools are necessary to either remove the old clamps or cut them off. Spray silcone works great when trying to move rubber hoses around on the hard line as far as install.
I've also used the same razor blades to basically cut the old heater hoses off old hard line tube or fittings.

Well, I got 108,xxx and it finally went. (Yah, don't drive it much since 2008. So, it looks like I'll be reading up and looking for new videos as the old ones didn't load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom