Pewter Paint - Rattle Can (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know if you can find the pewter paint for FJ40 trim in a rattle can? I'm recovering my FJ40 seats and want to re-spray the metal back I had sandblasted. Anything close?

I went to my local automotive paint supplier and they made up some rattle can paint in the toyota color!....worked well....I also restored my seats and painted the seat frames, etc.

search "custom spray paint cans" on google and there is a company that will mix up rattle cans with any factory paint code you send them I think they are fairly cheap.

Does anyone know if you can find the pewter paint for FJ40 trim in a rattle can? I'm recovering my FJ40 seats and want to re-spray the metal back I had sandblasted. Anything close?

JT Outfitters: http://www.jtoutfitters.com/advance...paint&osCsid=497c46f884054abc5760f1add4f4ebed

Here's a marginal pic of my console and rear heater, painted with it, then scratched up by my now-banned dog.
IMG_8781_sm.JPG

search "custom spray paint cans" on google and there is a company that will mix up rattle cans with any factory paint code you send them I think they are fairly cheap.

http://www.paintscratch.com/

$25 is double what JTOutfitters charge for the single stage enamel; Duplicolor I think.

I couldn't find 653 olive for '78, but it was there for '80. It's 2 stage paint. order a can of clear too. So it's $37.50 for 'up to six square feet'. I don't know if that's right, but that's what I read there.

I used Rustoleum Hammered finish. Its not real close to the original, but close enough for me. Besides, its only $5 a can. I just finished my bumper, and that is what color I painted it. Beware, this is not a smooth finish paint (i.e. that's why they call it hammer finish).

Good luck! :beer:
Bumper0001.jpg

I used Rustoleum Hammered finish. Its not real close to the original, but close enough for me. Besides, its only $5 a can. I just finished my bumper, and that is what color I painted it. Beware, this is not a smooth finish paint (i.e. that's why they call it hammer finish).

I've got a can of that, or something similar. Mine came out a bit darker than yours looks. I used it for the top covers of the license plate light. I'll paint them again when I do the bumperettes with the JT Outfitters color.

If you did all your accessories with the Rustoleum color, almost no one would know the difference, and it's $5 right down at the Home Depot.

duplicolor high performance wheel coating (same as 94 seville wheels) is a really clove match. did my licsense plate lites, glove box, console, and speedo surround-came out very nice. jim

Mine came out a bit darker than yours looks.

You're right. I think the camera flash bleached out the color it a little bit. When I looked at the picture on the internet, it looks really light. If you look at the ends of the bumper, that is more what the color looks like. I also painted my rear heater with it. Like I said, it is close, but not a real match to the ash tray and glove box. Like you said in your post, if you painted everything that color, no one would ever know.

:cheers:

JT Outfitters: http://www.jtoutfitters.com/advance...paint&osCsid=497c46f884054abc5760f1add4f4ebed

Here's a marginal pic of my console and rear heater, painted with it, then scratched up by my now-banned dog.

If it's paint from a can JT has the best......trust me I know! BUT its great on small items like hood hooks, but larger flat items you will need to have great prep skills as it will show everything.

Or just powder coat..............

hows your leather?

Shane

So does anyone have handy the actual correct silver color code (non-heater)? Some of those old links have lost their accompanying photos.

Bought the paint from JT. It kind of irked me, $13 for the can and $9.13 shipping! :eek: Seems a little steep. :frown:
Buy more than one......It goes quick!

Thought you bought leather from me for your 80????:confused:

Rattle Can

Tower Paint will mix any factory paint into rattle cans. Check out Ryan Scott's 55 Pig on Coils in the 55 section, his homepage has pic's he rattle can'd his truck Nebulas/Cygnus it came out great.

Lou

Adding this to this thread, for posterity (and so I can find it easier):

"FWIW, the metallic silver paint commonly used on bumpers, brackets, glove box door, etc, is not "pewter." TLC4x4 uses Morton Stardust Silver for powder coating, and it is a decent match.

The correct Toyota codes are:

T1434 Metallic Gray (1968 and newer)
T46 Silver Tan Metallic (1967 and older--slightly darker)"

Don't know who to credit, it was in a Word file I'd made and stored on my hard drive.

Adding this to this thread, for posterity (and so I can find it easier):

"FWIW, the metallic silver paint commonly used on bumpers, brackets, glove box door, etc, is not "pewter." TLC4x4 uses Morton Stardust Silver for powder coating, and it is a decent match.

The correct Toyota codes are:

T1434 Metallic Gray (1968 and newer)
T46 Silver Tan Metallic (1967 and older--slightly darker)"

Don't know who to credit, it was in a Word file I'd made and stored on my hard drive.

Jonathon told me about his Morton..................I bought 10 pounds for $185 and had a valve cover done for the heck of it. I threw it away and the 10 pounds that cost $185.

It had a gold to it, I told J and he was like Meh..................

Galaxy grey I have posted someplace in a tech thread was matched by a company and it is powder not paint like OE so its a little off.

Another light restoration thread is all done with this.

Jonathon told me about his Morton..................I bought 10 pounds for $185 and had a valve cover done for the heck of it. I threw it away and the 10 pounds that cost $185.

It had a gold to it, I told J and he was like Meh..................

Galaxy grey I have posted someplace in a tech thread was matched by a company and it is powder not paint like OE so its a little off.

Another light restoration thread is all done with this.

Here is what I have found using the search feature so far, could you or someone clear this up?

Wheels-T1447 Grey

Metalic Grey for bumpers, glove box doors etc.
T1447 Grey 1968 up
T46 Silver Tan Met. 67 down
T145 Ash Grey Metalic
Galaxy Grey, no code numbers posted (used by AATLAS1X)

Here are some pictures of Ash Grey on a bumper.

Also, which codes are for powder coat vs. body paint?
Ash Grey Metalic-a Num. T145.JPG
Ash Grey Metalic-b Num. T145.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom