Petition to reduce import ban from 25 years to 15 years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A guy I work with shared a recent story where someone had imported a land rover defender that fit into the 25+ year rule and it was still taken by the government. Along with other land rovers that were imported. Seems like if it's 25 years or older doesn't matter that much. Unless something else was going on

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/08/01/feds-raid-nc-womans-home-seize-land-rover

A guy I work with shared a recent story where someone had imported a land rover defender that fit into the 25+ year rule and it was still taken by the government. Along with other land rovers that were imported. Seems like if it's 25 years or older doesn't matter that much. Unless something else was going on

It's been discussed here to ad nauseam with several thread. Short story, the company importing was VIN swapping and such.

a lot else was going on, and yeah, they did confiscate a few that shouldn't have been. Hopefully those will be returned. But there is also a possibility that he may have thought it was older than 25 years, when it actually wasn't. Also, even if when HE acquired it was older than 25 years if it turns out that it was imported BEFORE it was 25 years old it is still contraband.

money runs this country, capitalism, nobody makes money on old cars, they make money on selling new cars and junking the old ones, bull****, politicians are corrupt as hell ......

Just to be clear that it's universal.

money runs this country, capitalism, nobody makes money on old cars, they make money on selling new cars and junking the old ones, bull****, politicians are corrupt as hell in this country......

I'm just not buying the explanation. I have a VERY hard time believing that the market for 25 or even 15 year old cars has absolutely any impact at all on new car sales.

For the few in this thread who have noted the "enviro" pressure to prevent such a change to the import ban--I think you are SORELY mistaken.

I'm probably one of the more "green" folks out there, and I have a bunch of these old diesel vehicles. In my circle of friends, not a soul has had anything other than intense interest in my old diesel Toyotas. The fact of the matter is that they are more efficient than the vehicles offered here at that time, and are still truly readable vehicles today--all while getting pretty impressive mileage compared to the offerings here.

But there's absolutely a reason why I won't buy a new vehicle--they don't meet my needs, and these old Toyota diesels do. If they wanted to sell me a new vehicle, there'd be an HZJ or HDJ 7x series on the showroom that I could purchase. But there's not, so I won't be in the market for a new vehicle. So the ability to acquire these things absolutely HAS impacted my decision on a new vehicle purchase--what the manufacturers are worried about is that there are more people like me out there. I personally doubt it, as I understand the difficulty of operating vehicles with obsolete parts and such--and I also know that very, very few people are willing to do something as drastic as an engine swap to get what they really want.

Every time I get approached by a salesman when I am going to get parts I ask the same thing: can I look at your HZJ-79s? Magically, they look at me with a kind of dumb look on their faces and ask if I'd be interested in a Sequoia or something.

Dan

Reviving old thread--the petition closed--anyone working on another one?

This is, yet another, one of those interwebs hysteria threads...

1st, there is no "ban" on any foreign vehicles not older than 25 year. There is an allowance of vehicles >25 that have not passed NHTSA requirements. If you kill said "ban" nothing that isn't safety compliant will be allowed into US.

2nd, what legislator in Washington DC would vote to allow more non safety compliant vehicles in the USA?

If one reads the intent of the 25 year allowance, we are all lucky it hasn't been increased to 35 by now....

Tomato, tomahhto. If you aren't allowed to bring any car in that wasn't intended for sale in the United States that is less than 25 years old, I'd call that a ban on non-us-delivered cars newer than 25 years old [with VERY few exceptions].

Agreed that we are lucky the bureaucrats aren't pushing it to 35 years.

If you aren't allowed to bring any car in that wasn't intended for sale in the United States that is less than 25 years old, I'd call that a ban on non-us-delivered cars newer than 25 years old [with VERY few exceptions].

CA has the additional restriction that the engine has to match one that was delivered in North America, even if the vehicle is older than 25 years, back to '75 for a gas engine and '79 for a diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom