Petition to reduce import ban from 25 years to 15 years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You heard that Jerry Jeff Walker song called Pissin' In The Wind?

I think it's a good idea, but we all know how the government protects US car makers (including foreign companies that build here).

For context, if by some miracle this actually works 80 series Land Cruisers could be imported, and 98/99 100 series Land Cruisers could be imported. Diesel anyone?

You heard that Jerry Jeff Walker song called Pissin' In The Wind?

I think it's a good idea, but we all know how the government protects US car makers (including foreign companies that build here).

If 100,000 people sign the petition in 30 days the President will at the very least make a statement responding to it. I for one want to hear what he has to say on the matter.

Signed. If 15-years is good enough for Canada and most of the rest of the developed world, it ought to be good enough for the US. I see no reason to have protectionist legislation for our own auto companies--which is what this is truly is. Domestic manufacturers do NOT want the competition from much newer vehicles coming in and watering down the market's propensity to consume vehicles already here.

Oh, and not only protectionist regarding domestic companies, but protectionist with respect to foreign manufacturers who want what they bring in, and ONLY what THEY bring in, to be available for purchase in this market. Most of us here don't buy brand new Cruisers. Most of us buy used and a LOT of us would be desirous of purchasing 15-year-old Cruisers from overseas if the rule changed. Toyota, Mercedes, Nissan, VW, Audi, etc. do NOT want that.

Ssszzzzigned!

I'll bet there's a s***-tonne of Land Rover guys out there just dying to sign that bad boy.

Signed. If 15-years is good enough for Canada and most of the rest of the developed world, it ought to be good enough for the US. I see no reason to have protectionist legislation for our own auto companies--which is what this is truly is. Domestic manufacturers do NOT want the competition from much newer vehicles coming in and watering down the market's propensity to consume vehicles already here.

Oh, and not only protectionist regarding domestic companies, but protectionist with respect to foreign manufacturers who want what they bring in, and ONLY what THEY bring in, to be available for purchase in this market. Most of us here don't buy brand new Cruisers. Most of us buy used and a LOT of us would be desirous of purchasing 15-year-old Cruisers from overseas if the rule changed. Toyota, Mercedes, Nissan, VW, Audi, etc. do NOT want that.

foreign manufacturers are actually far more in favor of the ban than domestic importers. Ford has tried to get the law changed in the past in particular because they want to be able to sell the models they sell in europe in the US. European manufacturers in particular could be hurt by this because of the demand for their older models that they don't sell in the US, like Defenders.

foreign manufacturers are actually far more in favor of the ban than domestic importers. Ford has tried to get the law changed in the past in particular because they want to be able to sell the models they sell in europe in the US. European manufacturers in particular could be hurt by this because of the demand for their older models that they don't sell in the US, like Defenders.
Toyota and Land Rover are very much against having fifteen-year-old vehicles being brought into the US and depriving their US dealers of sales of new vehicles. Plus, they'd wind up having to stock a broader range of parts as the number of vehicles brought in--and models not presently brought in until they are 25--would skyrocket for certain in the short term as the pent up demand for the "forbidden fruit" would be unleashed and would take a while to sate.

signed. Not holding my breath…...

Almost 1/5th of the way there in a mere 48-hours' time. Not too shabby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom