Performance Land Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone heard of Performance Land Cruisers up off of 46? I was up in this little shopping center in a gun shop and when I walked in the guy behind the counter was like cool truck, have you been over to that Land Cruiser shop and he points across the complex. Outside is an older 70's white Ford crew cab with a cummins swap and a tacoma. The gun shop guys say they can do anything. I just thought it was funny I had never heard of a Land Cruiser shop so close to San Antonio. Any one ever been over there to check it out during business hours?

What's the cross street.

I live off of 46 travel it everyday and have never seen a Land Cruiser shop.

Haha exactly!! It is tucked back in a spot you would never guess. There is a little shopping center called Flags of Boerne or something similar and the closest road is Nickel Ranch Rd.

Here is their website it looks old because the address doesn't match but that Tacoma is the truck that was parked there.
http://performancelandcruisers.com/home.html

Called them

I looked up the website (not much on there) and decided to call them. I am in need of a reasonably priced mechanic that can help me with some diagnostics on my 3FE. Anyway, I got the answering machine and left a message. If they call back, I'll post it here. Would be nice to have a LC shop close to SA.

Today

I tried to find it today and still could not even find the cross street

Does this help? Haha.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Update

So, I got a call back from a really nice guy named Jay at Performance Land Cruisers and he seemed really eager and willing to help me with diagnostics and just a general overview.

The way I understand it, this business is kind of a side thing for him. He said he's always like Toyota 4X4 vehicles and has moded/rebuilt several for himself and others. He seemed very knowledgable about my 3FE motor which was a good sign. He has worked extensively in Africa (and still does periodically) and his work requires the use of a lot of Land Cruisers (I didn't ask what he did...sorry). Anyway, he seemed like a really straightforward guy and I told him that he needs to meet some of the folks from the board and get his name out there.

I will taking my '91 to him next week to get a once-over done and let him tell me what I need to fix to get rid of a few grumbles that I have in the motor. Shop fee is $85 to look it over, which I thought was reasonable.

As a side note, he said that he has access to several Diesel motors like 1HDTs if anyone is interested in a conversion. Interesting...

I'll post back after I meet him face to face.

BTW, he did say that the shop was kind of hard to find and would give me detailed directions when I called him to make an appointment.

My take on PLC

Well, I ended up taking my 80 to Performance LC about 10 days ago to have them to give it a look over and just help me with some diagnostics. They owner J, was a really nice guy and was very willing to talk shop with me. He seems to work on 100 and 200 series quite a bit, but is also in the middle of building a ground-up FJ40 with new aluminum tub and new frame, motor etc. He didn't seem to have a lot of experience with 80 series, but did a good job of helping me uncover some of the gremlins that I've been wondering about. He helped me find part numbers and gave me a quote on installing a 2.5" OME lift for me. I think I'm going to end up doing it myself, but his prices were reasonable for someone without the ability/desire to do it themselves.

Overall, I was pleased with my experience and would recommend visiting them with any TLC needs that you can't tackle yourself. They've got a very nice garage and lots of cool tools and diagnostic equipment.

I just want to give a shout out to Jay and Cody at Performance Cruisers. I was "looking" via internet, email, and telephone at a 2004 LC for sale at the dealership in Boerne TX. Since I don't fully trust dealer salespeople, I researched these pages and found out about Performance. Jay answered the phone and within an hour, he and Cody were on their way to inspect the rig. Jay then sent a bunch of close-up photos and gave a more thorough report than the dealership had provided (surprise surprise). Jay and Cody gave the rig a thumbs up overall so I made the commitment to buy it. Two days later, my wife and I flew down, bought it, and drove it the 1700 miles home. I found Jay and Cody's timely assessment of the rig to be accurate and it was a key contributor to my decision. My wife and I both love our new truck.

I think the guys at Performance are great! Thank you, Jay and Cody. I wish we could have met in person but keep an eye out for a treat from Montana.

Performance has done quite a bit of work on my FJ73 and I have never been disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom