parts truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry for so many questions and such, its just that I'm moving into the time of the year when I have the time and money to spend on the cruiser.
Ok-locally there is a low mileage (58k) 77 for sale relatively cheap ($3.5-4k.) Supposedly runs and drives well, but body is in kinda rough shape. My body and chassis on my 74 are nearly perfect but my F has low oil pressure, i suspect low compression, and the infamous 3 spd. I have considered buying this 77, doing a disk swap, using its third member to replace my worn out one, use its doors, fiberglass, and swap in its 4spd and 2f. I would use the parts from my 74 to make the 77 a trail only beater and eventually SOA and SBC it as a second cruiser. I'm asking how difficult swapping a 2F, 4 spd, 77 front axle, booster and master into a 74 is, to see if it its worth the 3.5k for a parts/beater truck. Thanks for any thoughts.

I just swaped a 76 2f and a 79 4speed into my 69 FJ-40. It was a direct bolt in except the drive shafts and throttle linkage. I also kept the clutch slave cylinder on the driver side. It was the best thing that i have ever done to the cruiser. But most of the parts were free so that made it even nicer.
Jesse

It is pretty easy, pretty much a bolt in and go upgrade; some of the linkage may take a little tweeking. :G

that is way too much for a parts/beater truck.
unless its a driver with a rough body.if so use some body parts off of the 74 to make the 77 nicer and drive the 77 then go beat up the 74.thats what id do.
kinda sux you ended up with a 3spd in your 74, some of them 74's were awesome,4spd/4spd case w/3spd gears!!!
i can pick up parts trucks for 500 beans all day if i look.
so dont spend too much if you dont have too.
shawn

that is way too much for a parts/beater truck.
unless its a driver with a rough body.if so use some body parts off of the 74 to make the 77 nicer and drive the 77 then go beat up the 74.thats what id do.
kinda sux you ended up with a 3spd in your 74, some of them 74's were awesome,4spd/4spd case w/3spd gears!!!
i can pick up parts trucks for 500 beans all day if i look.
so dont spend too much if you dont have too.
shawn
Out of the deal I will get-Low mileage 2f, 4 spd, front disc, better booster, and good third members (mine are both gettin worn). And a rusty cruiser that will still work that I won't mind honing my skills on and thrashing offroad.
That doesn't sound too bad to me, cause my 74 chassis, body, transfer and suspension, and interior are all pretty nice.
Granted it is more than I would pay for a non running parts truck, I guess I will have to go see what kind of shape its in before I decide what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom