parts cleaner: what fluid to use? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I looked up the flash point on line and it is 105 F, which is higher than it is likely to encounter with a few sparks.

My garage is over 105 about 6 months of the year. :D

-Spike

what if the ambient temp is over that??

If you get a spark, it will flash but it will not sustain a flame until you get to the constant burn temperature, which is about 50 degrees higher. Diesel has a flash point of about 115-125 degrees. Kerosene is lower; about 100.

interesting

according to Wiki (who knows if that's right...):

Fuel Flash point Autoignition temperature
Ethanol 12.8°C (55°F) 365°C (689°F)
Gasoline (petrol) <−40°C (−40°F) 246°C (475°F)
Diesel >62°C (143°F) 210°C (410°F)
Jet fuel >38°C (100°F) 210°C (410°F)
Kerosene (paraffin oil) >38–72°C (100–162°F) 220°C (428°F)
Vegetable oil (canola) 327°C (620°F)[1]
Biodiesel >130°C (266°F)

the flash point of gasoline is indeed way lower than Diesel as we all know, but the autoignition temp of diesel is *lower* than that of gasoline, that I didn't know... although it makes sense to help with combustion in the engines I guess... Interesting...

Bechtold's "Alternative Fuels Guidebook" (SAE, ISBN 0-7680-0052-1) lists these numbers for diesel, Veggie oil, and gasoline:

Flash Point *C (*f):
Diesel: 74 (165)
Veggie oil: 179 (354)
Gasoline: -43 (-45)

Auotignition Temperature *C (*f):
Diesel: 316 (600)
Veggie Oil: None listed
Gasoline: 257 (495)

And since the discussion has veered towards whether a vapor is ignitable or not -

Flammability Limits by % volume (lean/rich):
Diesel: 1.0/6.0
Veggie Oil: None listed
Gasoline: 1.4/7.6

Boiling Point *C(*f):
Diesel: 188-343 (370-650)
Veggie Oil: ~350 (~662)
Gasoline: 27-225 (80-437)

That means that if the % volume of either is outside of those limits they will not ignite. Like putting out a match in liquid gasoline.
It is also important to note that diesel does not vaporize very well unless it is quite hot. Like most such things, it needs to be approaching it's boiling temperature before it starts to vaporize. I know this to be essentially true of Jet A and JP-8 too. It's been a while since we've tested using those fuels, so exact traits are the subject of a dim memory, however their behavior was very much like typical diesel.

Diesel, Jet A, JP-8, and kerosene are very similar chemistries, a lot of their important traits will be similar. The primary difference in them is how much of the paraffin's remain in them after refining.

well, we got some serious differences in autoignition temps for Diesel, then...
goes to show you...
I suspect Wiki since it's kinda like here, everybody has an opinion... :D

I just bought a HF 20 gal. washer. I won't have a water source by the washer in the garage so I am not hip to having to wash the parts I just washed so that the degreaser is not allowed to dry on the parts. I don't have a heater to heat the solution and I would like to wash all sorts of things without worrying if I will have a part left in the morning that I can re-use. I am thinking of using stoddard because of the smell of diesel and limited space in the garage. Haven't checked mineral spirits price.

Do you still need to rinse the parts after using the stoddards/mineral spirits? If the parts washer is left outside (10-110 F temp range) how horrible would that be?

I have the washer and am waiting to get to the scrubbing on my first front knuckle rebuild under way. I am leaning toward the Stoddard. Let me know if you have any other input than I have read already. Thanks

After I wash parts in mineral spirits, I usually blow them off with compressed air and let them air dry. If they need to be really spotless, I then wipe them down with clean acetone, alcohol or mineral spirits.

I have a 20 gallon washer full of mineral spirits in a 1.5 car garage. The smell isn't noticeable unless I have had the top open and have washed/dried a lot of parts.

I will be switching to Diesel soon due to price.

Last edited:
what about mixing stuff, like mineral spirits and diesel? That OK?

Heck if 2 fluids are immiscible, you could put a thin layer of something that does not smell and is not flammable on top, to cover the expensive evaporating stuff underneath....

im torn between Kerosene and diesel guess its gona come down to $$ per gal

Has anyone tried using Biodiesel? It's a better solvent than diesel and has a much higher flashpoint than diesel. The biodiesel I've been using in my Ford Powerstroke the last 2 years comes locally from recycled fryer oil from restaurants and is even cheaper than diesel these days.

Just a HF parts washer reality check...

Keep an eye on the nipple where the metal flexible hose mounts to the pump. As I was cleaning some parts and went to move the flexible hose it snapped off the pump resulting in the most beautiful and spectacular grimy fountain you've ever seen!

You can imagine the cluster trying to turn the parts cleaner off...that required a beer break.

I now have a commercial one that I picked up from a automotive shop that was closing.

Good luck...

Last edited:
I used a product from Mirachem at my temp job that really impressed me. We were degreasing some very large bearings and sprayed on their "500" product. I'd call the "500" a winner for engine bays and the like, just don't know how good or how expensive their parts cleaner solvent is. If it isn't horrifically spendy I'd say that it's worth a try. The better news is that we were spraying this stuff inside of KA at a very heavily regulated site, if it passes muster here it should be at least not bad for the environment.

We were degreasing some very large bearings and sprayed on their "500" product. I'd call the "500" a winner for engine bays and the like, just don't know how good or how expensive their parts cleaner solvent is.

Seems that you can dilute the 500 and use it in a parts washer. About $105 (shipped) for 5-gallons: Mirachem 500 - 5 Gal Pail - 0101-3300640001

They sell gallon containers, but you have to buy a case of four for $95, so might as well go for the 5-gallon bucket.

at work i use a system one with Zep dyna 143 it has a 143 degree flash point and cleans like a mo-fo the system one washer distills the solvent so every 8hrs i have fresh clean solvent.
at home i have a 6 yr old harbor freight 20 gallon tank w/ diesel bought way back when it was $3 a gallon

Just wanted to piggy back on this thread vs starting yet another new thread. I found this at my local petro-chem supplier: Univar Safety Solvent 142. The cost is $7.35/gal if I supply my own container, or $44/5gal pail. When doing the math, odor free mineral spirits from big box store turns out to be $15/gal, so almost twice the cost. Just a FYI for anyone else looking for non aqueous based solvent.

Trade Name 142 Solvent
66/3 Technical Contact (847) 734-7699 (8am - 4pm CT M-F)
Product Number 19026 Medical Emergency (832) 486-4700
CAS Number 64742-47-8 CHEMTREC Emergency (800) 424-9300 (United States Only)
Product Family Petroleum hydrocarbon solvent

Synonyms
Petroleum hydrocarbon solvent;
140 Flash Solvent; High Flash Stoddard Solvent;
High-flash Mineral Spirits;
Type IIC Mineral Spirits (meets ASTM D-235 Type 2C specifications);
CITGO Material Code: 19026

This is the outfit: Brewer Oil Company - New Mexico owned and operated.

^ sounds pretty flammable still. Does it clean much better than Diesel fuel?

^ sounds pretty flammable still. Does it clean much better than Diesel fuel?

Yup, I want flammable 😁. Haven't bought it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom