Part Time 4WD conversion (1991) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GXO

GXO
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
gxor.org
I want to milk a bit more out of the ol 3FE and part time 4WD is one of my theoretical ways to do so.

Anyone out there done this?

I am not interested in just a hub install. I am looking at the Marks 4WD kit.

Let me know if you have done this, seen it, etc Please!

Thanks!

Dan,

Christo's site has just such a write-up from, I believe, one of his clients.

I had seen all that, I was wondering if there were any more opinions out there.

I guess I can be the next opinion. I plan on buying the kit in October.

Dan

We have used the Marks kit and found it easy to install with no machining needed.
It takes about 4-5 hours for use to do and the biggest problem is getting the rusty exhaust bolts out.
We have noticed better handling and braking due to less rotating mass and about a 7% increase in milage on highway.

Wayne

Gumby, please see the post after yours to answer your question.

The 3FE with all wheel drive is the reason people bad mouth that engine.

I LOVE the 3FE. I want to keep it, and I want to have hubs in case I grenade the front without a spare birf (unlikely, but possible).

The semi-float rear conversion coupled with this mod will make my 80 more suited to my needs, 80-90% road, 10% offroad.

I am not lazy, I don't mind getting out to lock hubs.

Oh, and return on investment is a foolish way to look at cruiser upgrades...it will NEVER get to 100% ROI

I agree with the return on the investment part, but there needs to be some reason for doing it. You will get marginally better performance. Money could be better spent improving the engine performance. Less rotating mass could be found in rims easily and I highly doubt upnover's contention that the small amount of parts not spinning cause a differnce in handling. It's possible and he's a great wrench, but I don't see it.
You will get worse road manners in bad road conditions. You will be messing with something that really works well in the stock configuration. The decreased wear of drivetrain components is a silly arguement, one I'm glad to see you aren't making. 7% better gas mileage? Let's see, you get about 12 now, so you might get 13 then? Put a better intake and exhaust on it and you'll get better than 7%.
The ability to unlock in case of breakage is a good reason, but a center lock switch works as well. Many on this list have driven with busted components with the center lock switch activated.
OTOH, it's your rig, you can do ANYTHING you want to it. I just see so many of my students making modifications to cars that work well that I cringe a little when it happens to a Cruiser. 8)

Well I havnt done the conversion but I did drive for a month with the front driveshaft out, I hated the way it handled, I saw no better milage or performance. Personaly I wouldn't bother with the conversion. If your worried about being able to unlock the front end, just get a set of hubs.

John H

I agree some of the benefits are small but some people just like having more control of the functions of their truck.The conversion basicly turns the truck into a FJ62.
As for performance I am a fan of v8 conversions and I would not personly put the money into the 6 when a v8 will give better hp right out of crate and can still be improved upon.
The 2f and 3f 6's are limited due to hp parts and cost of doing.
We have built custom 2f's with 9.5to 1comp ,EFI ,custom EFI cam,headers and exhaust,balanced,ported and when we got it on the dyno with pump gas 235hp.
I could of had a v8

Wayne

I have an intake/exahust setup and I feel my truck is fine as is.

I wanna do the swap! so thppppppt! :flipoff2:

:D

Thanks for the data everyone.

Gumby & DanKunz,

What kind of intake and exhaust modifications are you talking about here?

I met a self proclaimed inline 6 guru a little while back and he said with the intake and exhaust manifold on the same side and no extreme restrictions in their routing that there wasn't a hole lot of room for improvemnt in those areas.

He is looking into throttle body and sensor upgrades and will be getting back to me next week.

Dan,

>> 90% road, 10% offroad <<

If this was the other way around then your PT conversion might be more justified. With a FT 4wd truck that is engineered as well as your cruiser and 90% of your use on road then you are sacrificing one of the best design features of the 80 series over the 60/62 series and all other PT 4wd vehicles.

I'm with the others... spend that money on your truck but spend it on goodies like ARB lockers, gears, tyres, racks, OBA, fridge, suspension tricks, electronic gadgets, lights, armour, .... and a long list of others. Even a V8 or a diesel seems more practical.

-B-

But I want it all! =)

I am not in the "immediate project" phase of this unless I get lucky with my lotto ticket.

All things in time! :D

[quote author=GhostCruiser link=board=2;threadid=4770;start=msg36364#msg36364 date=1062177335]
Gumby & DanKunz,

What kind of intake and exhaust modifications are you talking about here?

I met a self proclaimed inline 6 guru a little while back and he said with the intake and exhaust manifold on the same side and no extreme restrictions in their routing that there wasn't a hole lot of room for improvemnt in those areas.

He is looking into throttle body and sensor upgrades and will be getting back to me next week.
[/quote]

Really just a better air filter is all I have heard of for intake mods on the 3FE, but I would bet others have done more. The exhaust side can be much improved with a header, high flow cats and free flowing muffler.
Of course a turbo would help a little. :D
The best mod for a 3FE would be to stick a chain on it so you could pull it back in the boat when you're done fishing. :D
I'm a 1FZE-elitist. I admit it.

[quote author=Gumby link=board=2;threadid=4770;start=msg36404#msg36404 date=1062190548]
The best mod for a 3FE would be to stick a chain on it so you could pull it back in the boat when you're done fishing. :D

[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA(gasp)HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ::)

oooohhh, I hope my head gasket is still OK :eek:

if you can sort out the handling problems, how about justifying the part time conversion on the basis of not having to repack the birfs every 60k and generally getting better life out of them? :-\

Semlin (ducking for cover amidst all these experts) ;)

30 yrs and unknown rough miles on the 40 series birfs hear. Never got repacked until 2 weeks ago. Could run the softer birfs too, that can otherwise only be run on trail rigs.
WOHOOO this was my 1000 post. :D-But it doesn't say Lifer yet? and I'm not a Hall monitor or anything?! :'( Woody must not like me.. :flipoff2: :D

Bailey,

Ya gotta get to 1,001 ::)

There be only ONE hall monitor in this joint. :flipoff2:

Now, don't you need to be writing a paper or something? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom