Parallel battery hookup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I purchased by FJ60 with 2H diesel back in late Spring and the PO had two different batteries in place (diff CCA, brands, date stamps, etc). After a few months I started noticing voltage drops, I finally got around to testing things and determining the battery differences were driving the charging imbalance and voltage concerns.

With that being said, I purchased two new 34FT-2 Autocraft Gold batteries from Advance Auto. A few weeks have passed due to normal life craziness and I went to put the batteries back in the LC (old ones had been removed during this time) and had a brain lapse. I could not remember how the left and right should be hooked up...extremely frustrating.

This is my first diesel/24V parallel system so I read several posts and found the FSM and it's still not very clear to me. It just makes me nervous to hookup incorrectly and arc/damage either the batteries or some other electronic in the LC.

I hate even asking for help with something so simple, but just dont want to screw anything up.

Please help! Below are pics of each side.

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

On my buddy's HJ60 w/ 2H, the batteries are in series to provide 24 volts for the electrical system.
Looking aft towards the engine as in your photos:
the far right connection is from #1 battery negative to ground
the cable across the radiator connects the positive of the #1 battery to the negative of #2 battery
the far left connection to #2 positive is 24v to the electrical system

Last edited:
So to be clear the positive of the right-side battery hooks up to the negative left-side battery. Right-side negative should be grounded and left-side positive appears to be the starter and some accessories. Correct?

Yes, that is correct. And never charge them with a 12 volt charger or jump them with another vehicle
(unless it's 24 volt as well) unless they are disconnected from each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom