Painless wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has any one used a painless wiring set up? I have an 89 fj60 with a chevy 350 tbi motor and a ton of other stuff that the previous own put in. I want to clean it out and need help cleaning up the wiring. Does painless wiring have any thing that might help and how hard is it to install?

Not sure exactly what you need to wire your swap, but unless your doing doing fuel injection, your LC has most of the wiring you need all ready, You will have to move some, shorten parts and lengthen a few. But it's not hard.

What do really need? Starter & Alt - LC has them both, gauges - use the LC senders, AC - one wire works the compressor. Not too hard.

As to Painless wiring, I have used their 10 circuit kit and it was complete and good quality.

Doug

I'd try to save as much of the OEM harness as you can.

No experience with Painless except a little aux fuse block I put in my FJ40.

I did however help install a 10 circuit EZ wire harness in my friends FJ40 recently, it was a quality piece of merchandise and the customer support was great. It took no time to get answers when I had questions.

Yes and Yes.... Painless does make stand-alone engine swap wiring harness.

I used a painless harness on my 1999 5.7 vortec swap over to my 86 FJ60. I'm sure they have a harness that works for TBI. My experience with my harness...very well made, no loose connnections or missing plugs, good instructions manual.

Problem was in my case that the painless harness for 5.7 vortecs was made to only work with certain year model PCM's... this information was not properly disclosed in the literature. I ended up have to get a PCM from a 97 year model truck with 5.7 vortec (apparently there is a difference in the pin outs / electical connections from teh harness to the PCM in teh 98-99 year model).

I'm sure that painless makes a harness for TBI...you just need to go to their web site and check it out...I don't recall that one to be very expensive. I would also check with teh Howell web site to see what they make.

Remember the painless harnes is a stand alone engine harness (at least in my case) so I expect the same for the TBI setup. All you have to do is supply 12 volts and ign on signal and you're ready to go (simplistic explanation). You'll have to figure out teh Alt wiring too. Also another key point is to make sure of what you plan to keep working on the donor 5.7 TBI engine as far as emissions stuff like the o2 sensor. On the TBI engine I would sugguest that you keep everything functional since its rather easy to do so. You will or may need to have a new chip made for your ECM....especially if you change transmissions or make other modificaitons to the engine transmission that your TBI ECM expects to see (example changing from auto transmission to manual, or deleting emission controls & EGR). There is a web site that I don't recall the address to..right off hand but I'm sure someone can post it up where the guy deals with TBI engine ECMs...

On my truck I labeled the pos and neg side of the coil, the A/c wires, and Alt wires. I did away with all of the emissions stuff. Basically I disconnected all teh wiring and tied it up out of the way, and removed all the Toyota fuel evap stuff, emissions stuff. Don't cut any wires or damage anythign as you may can sell some of it and you may or will use some of hte wiring related to the A/c compressor, the Alternator and the coil potentially. Plus you might be able to sale some of that stuff you do need.

Painless harness is not hard to install... Read the instruction manual a couple of times and make sure your know what is what especially if you are new to working on cars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom